Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 07:08 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynorbust View Post
No longer a requirement to have passed a English proficiency exam to obtain your NYC Hack license to drive a cab. This sounds dangerous to me. I am all for equal oppurtunity but is it just me this sounds like trouble?

New law cuts English language requirement for NYC cab drivers | Reuters
In London, TFL, (Transport for London), wants to make it a legal requirement that private hire drivers speak English, Uber are fighting it in the courts.
Probable reason being that they take on anyone who's just stepped off the boat, Uber are not interested in whether you can communicate with the slave at the wheel, they just want their chunk of any fares he picks up.
Just do what I do, stand at the kerb, look for a yellow TAXI sign and raise your hand.
All you'll need to say is blank street, or X hotel, or station, the driver will just nod, and go straight there, but after all he'll be a real taxi driver, not a pale imitation, cheapest is not always best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 07:08 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klara View Post
update: Drivers licence no more required to drive nyc cab.
lol...!

Old 08-22-2016, 10:15 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,913,814 times
Another reason for me to use Uber instead.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I would think the opposite. One of the reasons they're doing away with the requirement is because Uber doesn't require it and taxi companies are losing drivers to them. Same thing with the geography test that was eliminated recently as well.
I'd guess that cab drivers who have little knowledge of N.Y.C. would only be a pain to someone from Podunk, Idaho, or a foreigner.
A street-wise native New Yorker would be all over them like a cheap suit.
I'm a born and raised Londoner, brought up on a diet of black cabs, with drivers that know the city like the backs of their hands, but I'm observant, and like to think that I can pick up on things and remember places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
They all use waze now to navigate. Their heads are empty with little to no knowledge, they just follow the directions of the mobile phone controller. Collectively this illustrates well the reduction in intelligence brought on by technology.
If I land at J.F.K. around 2.30 p.m. and I'm visiting a friend who lives on W.113th. at Amsterdam, Manhattan, I'll politely as I can, say to the driver, "W.113th. at Amsterdam, please, take the Van Wyck, Grand Central Parkway then the Triborough Bridge, okay?"
I hope he'll say, "Sure, you got it", but if he veered toward the Belt Parkway, I'd say, "I told you the Van Wyck, take it, or drop me off, and you'll get f**k all, and if you don't like it, call the cops."
It's never happened, I just hope that I'd have the cojones if it did.
Conversely, if I'm aiming for Park Slope, I'll say "12th. Street, Park Slope, please, will you take the Belt, Conduit, Atlantic Ave., then Eastern Parkway, then I'll tell you from there."
So far it's all gone right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Keep thinking you're doing the right thing Dan.
I bet real taxi drivers are all broke up at losing your $.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:19 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,897,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I'd guess that cab drivers who have little knowledge of N.Y.C. would only be a pain to someone from Podunk, Idaho, or a foreigner.
A street-wise native New Yorker would be all over them like a cheap suit.

Actually Podunk is a town in Texas lol.

I am guessing a cab driver with little knowledge of NYC would be a pain to anyone from anywhere who is not familiar with NYC.

Makes sense?

Old 08-23-2016, 07:03 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Uber drivers do not have to go through a language test, that's the reason why this requirement was dropped for the cab drivers!

Old 08-24-2016, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Actually Podunk is a town in Texas lol.

I am guessing a cab driver with little knowledge of NYC would be a pain to anyone from anywhere who is not familiar with NYC.

Makes sense?
Thanks for the info on Podunk, TX., I'd always thought of Podunk as a description of any generic one horse town.
Your assertion that taxi drivers with little knowledge of NYC would be a pain to anyone from anywhere who's not from NYC is true, but denizens of Podunk, or foreigners are covered by your description, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City