Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2016, 02:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Its like using Octroon or some word from the deep south back in the day. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadroon
Any literature written by a person of color from the deep South back in the day calling themselves such a stupid term? No. These classifications were made up by oppressive white rulers and had nothing to do with the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 02:25 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,178 times
[quote=NyWriterdude;45284487]You fell FAR SHORT OF WHITE, and your ass worked in the same sugarcane fields as did the pure Blacks. There was no actual difference. Ditto for the Natives. You do not have those different categories in Latin American any more than you ever actually had octroons, and quadroons in the South.

And the octroon, quadroon, etc. I know of NO PERSON in the US who identified themselves as SUCH. Nobody.

I'd like you to find one person of color who wrote a book saying I am an octroon, quadroon, etc.

In much of Latin America there are too few white people to fade your family to white. I gave you some perspective from a latin American perspective. Its yours to listen to or reject. Also the categories are real. People self identified as diferent terms and they felt prestiege or shame on their value of these labels. Depending on the country perhaps they obtained a ideal of color. Being lighter may have helped some move up socially and economically. Now the parallels are not exact across countries but the idea is used to provide a comparison. I am no expert on terms but latin ameeicans have lots of words for degree of color. Brazil has lots. So slow your roll. There is no right or wrong definition of what the black experience is. But in Latin America some really white people have a black grandparent. Maybe not white like a Nordic Blondie but light enough to pass in Cuba, Puerto Rico, Panama, or the DR.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:34 PM

See how much diversity the Bronx has even with just Hispanics

Old 08-27-2016, 02:45 PM

[quote=bxlover;45284709]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You fell FAR SHORT OF WHITE, and your ass worked in the same sugarcane fields as did the pure Blacks. There was no actual difference. Ditto for the Natives. You do not have those different categories in Latin American any more than you ever actually had octroons, and quadroons in the South.

And the octroon, quadroon, etc. I know of NO PERSON in the US who identified themselves as SUCH. Nobody.

I'd like you to find one person of color who wrote a book saying I am an octroon, quadroon, etc.

In much of Latin America there are too few white people to fade your family to white. I gave you some perspective from a latin American perspective. Its yours to listen to or reject. Also the categories are real. People self identified as diferent terms and they felt prestiege or shame on their value of these labels. Depending on the country perhaps they obtained a ideal of color. Being lighter may have helped some move up socially and economically. Now the parallels are not exact across countries but the idea is used to provide a comparison. I am no expert on terms but latin ameeicans have lots of words for degree of color. Brazil has lots. So slow your roll. There is no right or wrong definition of what the black experience is. But in Latin America some really white people have a black grandparent. Maybe not white like a Nordic Blondie but light enough to pass in Cuba, Puerto Rico, Panama, or the DR.
I don't doubt that some fair skinned people have a Black grandparent. But if everyone white married someone not white in Cuba, Panama, the DR, etc that is the END of white people in those nations because they are MINORITIES there and white racial traits are recessive.

You did not give me any Latin American perspective. You gave me Bronx US Latino perspective. I've been in Brazil, Paraguay, Colombia and the Dominican Republic. I speak pretty decent Spanish.

I never see anything in the media or contemporary writing or on the street where people refer to themselves as all these "mixed" categories. These terms are not commonly USED.

The stuff you're telling me is stuff written by white americans and often written in books about Latin America, but it's not not the practice in Latin America itself.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:21 PM

[quote=NyWriterdude;45284874]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post

I don't doubt that some fair skinned people have a Black grandparent. But if everyone white married someone not white in Cuba, Panama, the DR, etc that is the END of white people in those nations because they are MINORITIES there and white racial traits are recessive.

You did not give me any Latin American perspective. You gave me Bronx US Latino perspective. I've been in Brazil, Paraguay, Colombia and the Dominican Republic. I speak pretty decent Spanish.

I never see anything in the media or contemporary writing or on the street where people refer to themselves as all these "mixed" categories. These terms are not commonly USED.

The stuff you're telling me is stuff written by white americans and often written in books about Latin America, but it's not not the practice in Latin America itself.
Ok. Adios. I am not going to continue. Take care.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:33 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
And that's bull****. US Latinos will often take some Latin American studies that claim there's all these mixed race categories, but in all the countries I have been to, a person who looks Black is Black. There's no other way to describe it. And if we're honest we all know what a Black person looks like.

Many Latin Americans of Native descent will now just go out and admit their heritage that they are of native descent. Similarly many Latin Americans of African descent now just say they are Black.

The classical colonial terms like "mulatto" and "mestizo" were imposed by the colonizers and were an escape from someone having to be Native or Black.

Problem is white racial traits are recessive. So when an Asian, Black, or Native has a kid with a white person, the child comes out looking a lot more like the Asian, Black, or Native parent. Generally Black hair, dark brown eyes, the non white facial features, and in the case of Black people kinky hair. Unless you get the other race mixture down to a low level (after several generations of marrying whites) the person just isn't perceived as white.
I don't think white gens are recessive. I might a woman who is black and mothered kids for a white man. Kids came out with blonde hair. Lol. As for me? I did my DNA. I'm majority black, DNA wise 1/3 European and some native American due to my Brazilian heritage and Brazilian migration to Guyana. I'm fair skinned , soft hair light colored eyes. I'm often confused for middle eastern more than Anything else. Even my girlfriend told me that I have a white mans legs. I don't even have a black person voice. My paternal DNA is from from Iberian, North sea area. I don't think white gens are recessive. For me, my white gens show. The only gens I don't see is physically is the native ones.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I don't think white gens are recessive. I might a woman who is black and mothered kids for a white man. Kids came out with blonde hair. Lol. As for me? I did my DNA. I'm majority black, DNA wise 1/3 European and some native American due to my Brazilian heritage and Brazilian migration to Guyana. I'm fair skinned , soft hair light colored eyes. I'm often confused for middle eastern more than Anything else. Even my girlfriend told me that I have a white mans legs. I don't even have a black person voice. My paternal DNA is from from Iberian, North sea area. I don't think white gens are recessive. For me, my white gens show. The only gens I don't see is physically is the native ones.
But they clearly are. A black person and a white person together are going to have children with kinky hair, black hair, dark colored eyes, etc and you know it. Look at Barack Obama, Halle Berry, etc. Also I do not know what a white man's legs are like nor do I know what a Nlavk person's voice. I also don't see your picture. But anyone who is mostly genetically African will never be mistaken for a Middle Easterner. Some Arabs are Nlack btw they come in all colors so someone saying you look like a middle easterner means nothing as they range from white to very Black.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:26 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
But they clearly are. A black person and a white person together are going to have children with kinky hair, black hair, dark colored eyes, etc and you know it. Look at Barack Obama, Halle Berry, etc. Also I do not know what a white man's legs are like nor do I know what a Nlavk person's voice. I also don't see your picture. But anyone who is mostly genetically African will never be mistaken for a Middle Easterner. Some Arabs are Nlack btw they come in all colors so someone saying you look like a middle easterner means nothing as they range from white to very Black.
Look at Mariah Carey, Maya Rudolf (biracial daughter of Minnie Riperton), Cash Warren (biracial son of Michael Warren), Jennifer Beals, Soledad O'Brien (mother is a black Cuban), etc.

But even looking at Obama and Halle Berry, I don't think its fair to say that their white genes are recessive. No, they clearly look different from people with two black/African parents. Certainly not as the term is understood to mean only being visible of the genes come from both parents. From his hair texture to skin color, Obama's white genes show through, even if not as strongly as his black genes. But that's a different story.

And anyone who is mostly African will never be mistaken for a Middle Easterner? That's nonsense, and assumes that everyone who is mostly genetically African looks alike. Ethiopians, as one example, are often lighter than many West Africans, as are certain South African populations, among other populations of people who are mostly African.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:26 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
I don't know. Look at Rashida Jones, Derek Jeter, Mariah Carey. But a month ago I recieved plenty of happy Ramadan on the streets of this city. My picture was up here before, people commented on it. I look either hispanic or middle eastern. DNA works in strange ways NyWriterdude. That comment was from my fiancee who marvels at my euro features. She does it as a joke. She makes fun of my non black features. She is African btw. In matter of fact my mother used to say the same aswell.

Overall, we are getting off topic here. Let's rate the most and least diverse neighborhoods in the Bronx in order.

Most diverse.
Pelham Parkway.
Parkchester
Bedford Park
Mott Haven
Van nest
Coop city
Castle Hill

Least diverse
City Island
Throgs neck
Wake field
Woodlawn
University Heights
Williamsbridge
Baychester
Country club
Morrisania
Hunts point
Bath gate
Morris Heights
Mt eden Mt hope
Kings bridge
Soundview
Riverdale

I can't seem to finish the rest

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-27-2016 at 06:44 PM..

Old 08-27-2016, 06:44 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I don't know. Look at Rashida Jones, Derek Jeter, Mariah Carey. But a month ago I recieved plenty of happy Ramadan on the streets of this city. My picture was up here before, people commented on it. I look either hispanic or middle eastern. DNA works in strange ways NyWriterdude. That comment was from my fiancee who marvels at my euro features. She does it as a joke. She makes fun of my non black features. She is African btw. In matter of fact my mother used to say the same aswell.

Overall, we are getting off topic here. Let's rate the most and least diverse neighborhoods in the Bronx in order.

Most diverse.
Pelham Parkway.
Parkchester
Bedford Park
Mott Haven
Van nest
Coop city
Castle Hill

Least diverse
City Island
Throgs neck
Wake field
Woodlawn
University Heights
Williamsbridge
Baychester
Country club
Morrisania
Hunts point
Bath gate
Morris Heights
Mt eden Mt hope
Kings bridge
Soundview

I can't seem to finish the rest
How is Mott Haven diverse? Lay off the pipe. It has the same people as the rest of the south/west Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City