Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 01:30 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yeah was it really that big of a deal that pulling the emergency brake was required? And did someone pull the break while the train was still on the bridge?
The article says the train was still on the bridge. If there's a maniac shooting people, you still don't pull the brakes unless you're still in the station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 02:08 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
The article says the train was still on the bridge. If there's a maniac shooting people, you still don't pull the brakes unless you're still in the station.
There should be an emergency button that alerts the conductor and motorman but doesn't stop the train. Maybe an intercom too.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
There should be an emergency button that alerts the conductor and motorman but doesn't stop the train. Maybe an intercom too.
We need an emergency brake for situations when we actually need it, like a person stuck in a door and getting dragged.

Newer trains have an intercom system.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:26 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
All this happened as the D Train crossed the Manhattan Bridge during rush hour. And somebody pulled the emergency brakes! Why on earth would anybody pull the emergency brakes in this scenario???? It only prolongs everything!

Cricket-flinging woman sends D train riders into chaos - NY Daily News

To this and other posters going on about pulling the emergency brake; it is all very well for *YOU* sitting in the comfort of your own homes behind a computer to judge, you weren't there were you?

Am not saying pulling the brake was the proper thing to do, however making out as if all and sundry should have knowledge of the appropriate use of then trashing them afterwards is a bit much.

The person who pulled the brake likely just panicked and wanted out/off of the train. Some releasing container of bugs is bad enough, but no one knew what else she might have had. Given recent events nation and world wide it could have been anything from a machete/knife to explosives or a gun. Either way I'd probably want out quickly as well.

For the benefit of those whom do not know what releasing the emergency brake on train does..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerge...#United_States

Long story short once the air pressure within the braking system is dumped that train will stop and not move for some time.

Recall back in the day (1970's? 1980's? cannot recall) it became the thing for young punks to pull the emergency brake cord on NYC subways. They pulled that stunt usually while the train was at a station. Old subway cars had the EB cord near the doors, they would pull the thing then run off the train before doors closed. Once you heard that loud "whoosh" you knew it was time to either start walking or be prepared to sit and wait....

Last edited by BugsyPal; 08-26-2016 at 04:48 PM..

Old 08-26-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
To this and other posters going on about pulling the emergency brake; it is all very well for *YOU* sitting in the comfort of your own homes behind a computer to judge, you weren't there were you?

Am not saying pulling the brake was the proper thing to do, however making out as if all and sundry should have knowledge of the appropriate use of then trashing them afterwards is a bit much.

The person who pulled the brake likely just panicked and wanted out/off of the train. Some releasing container of bugs is bad enough, but no one knew what else she might have had. Given recent events nation and world wide it could have been anything from a machete/knife to explosives or a gun. Either way I'd probably want out quickly as well.

For the benefit of those whom do not know what releasing the emergency brake on train does..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerge...#United_States

Long story short once the air pressure within the braking system is dumped that train will stop and not move for some time.

Recall back in the day (1970's? 1980's? cannot recall) it became the thing for young punks to pull the emergency brake cord on NYC subways, sometimes while the train was at or near speed.
I can't say I've been on a train where crickets were released, but I've been on trains when fights have broken out. Pulling the emergency brakes did not cross my mind, and nobody on those trains pulled them either. There's a reason there are posters in every train car telling people what to do in case of an emergency and when NOT to pull the emergency brakes. It's not like the MTA keeps it a secret; it's common knowledge!

Old 08-26-2016, 07:28 PM

It was a prank!

Viral subway cricket video was an elaborate prank | New York Post

Old 08-26-2016, 08:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
The person who pulled the brake likely just panicked and wanted out/off of the train. Some releasing container of bugs is bad enough, but no one knew what else she might have had. Given recent events nation and world wide it could have been anything from a machete/knife to explosives or a gun. Either way I'd probably want out quickly as well. .
But if the train isn't at a station, pulling on the emergency brake is going to get you off the train sooner. It'll keep you on the train longer...

Old 08-26-2016, 10:55 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
yeah ok...

“I did [urinate] but didn’t purposely mean to,” Pugh said. “It was very hot and I was holding my bladder. When I realized we weren’t going anywhere, I said, ‘I’m gonna just let it out.’ ”

this woman is actually batsh|t crazy

"In 2015, she posted a bloody video that purported to show a woman stabbing her baby to death in an insane revenge plot on her boyfriend."

she believes her own crazy story about others being in on it and that somehow she's helping homeless people

coo-koo ... coo-koo ... coo-koo ... coo-koo ... coo-koo ... coo-koo ... coo-koo ... coo-koo ...

Last edited by BlakeJones; 08-26-2016 at 11:47 PM..

Old 08-27-2016, 02:56 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:
We need an emergency brake for situations when we actually need it, like a person stuck in a door and getting dragged.

Newer trains have an intercom system.
I wouldn't get rid of the emergency brake, I would add an emergency button and/or intercom system. I wonder though if the emergency brake has ever been used by a passenger and that saved someone's life. If so I haven't read about it.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Pugh defended the videos as way to draw attention to the plight of the homeless.

I don't see the connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City