Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 09:45 PM

329 posts, read 297,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Are quite different. Am here to tell you... Have a Dominican girlfriend and Latino friends from all over. Don't think Dominicans want to be lumped in with Mexicans. If anything, they tend to look down on Mexicans just like Puerto Ricans and other groups.
I really don't see it that way

Old 08-26-2017, 10:00 PM

1,235 posts, read 726,080 times
If you don't want to be around other groups ~ you can always pick up and leave and go to a place to your liking.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:29 AM

12,741 posts, read 8,162,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP DOM View Post
The slave trade contributed little to nothing to dominican culture. All slaves in DR were transculturized, leaving very few cultural manifestations, but not enough to say that dominican culture is based on our african ancestry, unfortunately.

The native americans (tainos), on the other hand, surprisingly left a great legacy, leaving us the "güira", which is a an authentic dominican instrument and is used in all our music.

Though mexicans and dominicans are phenotypically different, culturally, we are more similar than people give us credit for. The same with central america!! Our architecture is similar, our holidays are basically the same, customs, manners, etc.

Dominicans are more outgoing and social, while mexicans are more reserved and quiet, but we aren't thaaat different.

Something else that is worth mentioning, is that mexicans love dominican music and dominicans love mexican music, especially all those ballads, guarachas, boleros, etc. It's to such a degree that bachata came from what was a dominican version of mexican boleros and guarachas. At least that's what it was back in the 60's when it all started.
*LOL* Not enough to say that Dominican culture is based on your African ancestry, unfortunately. That's a good one. One of the reasons Dominicans speak the say that they do in Spanish is due to their African ancestry. You are clearly in denial about how much of an influence the slave trade had on Dominican culture.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:48 AM

343 posts, read 251,737 times
Some observations that I have had. For some reason Ive always felt Spanish speaking people clash with NYC. My reasoning is that Spanish speaking tends to be a warm weather language, the way the language flows reminds me of warmer climates. Spanish music sounds warm weathered too. Spanish cuisine is warm weathered foods its not like NYC with freezing winters. No advocado trees or coconut trees here in NY. Even the consistancy of the skin of people from countries that are prominently Spanish speaking, their arms are not very hairy because they come from warmer climates, not northern cold weather places like New York.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:02 PM

2,741 posts, read 2,372,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP DOM View Post
The slave trade contributed little to nothing to dominican culture. All slaves in DR were transculturized, leaving very few cultural manifestations, but not enough to say that dominican culture is based on our african ancestry, unfortunately.

The native americans (tainos), on the other hand, surprisingly left a great legacy, leaving us the "güira", which is a an authentic dominican instrument and is used in all our music.

Though mexicans and dominicans are phenotypically different, culturally, we are more similar than people give us credit for. The same with central america!! Our architecture is similar, our holidays are basically the same, customs, manners, etc.

Dominicans are more outgoing and social, while mexicans are more reserved and quiet, but we aren't thaaat different.

Something else that is worth mentioning, is that mexicans love dominican music and dominicans love mexican music, especially all those ballads, guarachas, boleros, etc. It's to such a degree that bachata came from what was a dominican version of mexican boleros and guarachas. At least that's what it was back in the 60's when it all started.
this is patently false. but a very stereotypical Dominican sentiment to express LOL.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:05 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,238,910 times
I haven't read this whole thread, but why are people complaining about Dominicans moving to the Bronx? This isn't exactly a new thing.

Dominicans are good people, BTW. They're very entrepreneurial, hard working, family oriented and upwardly mobile.

And, excepting abuelas, I've never met a Dominican who didn't learn English. Just because they don't speak English to each other doesn't mean they don't know it.

Grandmas never learn English when they immigrate. I have Italian grandmas in my Brooklyn neighborhood who STILL don't know English after 50 years, because they were stay-at-home mothers in a neighborhood where you didn't need English.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:13 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,238,910 times
Also, re. comparison of Dominicans and Mexicans, yes, they are different, but don't think that the specific immigrant profile to NYC necessarily reflects the differences.

For example, Mexicans in NYC are almost always from the South, and are heavily of indigenous background. So they're short, kinda stocky and have "native" features. That is NOT typical in Mexico overall. There are many tall and white Mexicans (especially in the North, in Mexico City and in Guadalajara) some black Mexicans (especially around Veracruz) and lots of Lebanese Mexicans (mostly in the center).

So don't stereotype a country based on the immigrants you see in your neighborhood, necessarily. Mexico is a BIG and diverse country, with tall blonds, dark-skinned blacks and the like. People would be surprised.

Dominicans are probably the same. I don't know DR as well, but I doubt the immigrants to NYC are an exact microcosm of the society.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:48 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,814,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
*LOL* Not enough to say that Dominican culture is based on your African ancestry, unfortunately. That's a good one. One of the reasons Dominicans speak the say that they do in Spanish is due to their African ancestry. You are clearly in denial about how much of an influence the slave trade had on Dominican culture.
And how do Dominicans supposedly speak? You do not have a creolized Spanish in the DR. African words are not found in their Spanish.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,814,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
Some observations that I have had. For some reason Ive always felt Spanish speaking people clash with NYC. My reasoning is that Spanish speaking tends to be a warm weather language, the way the language flows reminds me of warmer climates. Spanish music sounds warm weathered too. Spanish cuisine is warm weathered foods its not like NYC with freezing winters. No advocado trees or coconut trees here in NY. Even the consistancy of the skin of people from countries that are prominently Spanish speaking, their arms are not very hairy because they come from warmer climates, not northern cold weather places like New York.
Parts of Chile, Argentina, and Spain are pretty cold. The you have cold Andean climates in highlands of Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, and Bolivia. In short you just made a ridiculous stereotype of Spanish speaking people.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:20 PM

12,741 posts, read 8,162,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And how do Dominicans supposedly speak? You do not have a creolized Spanish in the DR. African words are not found in their Spanish.
Oh I dunno. Maybe you should listen to them speak since you claim you speak Spanish. All of that cutting they do doesn't just occur just because. Dominicans culturally are heavily influenced by their African roots from their music to some of their mannerisms to the way that they speak, not to mention how many of them are mixed with black, Spanish and taíno. Can look it up if you're not in the know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City