Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 10:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
I don't understand this mentality. Why would the OP even take his landlord to court? He's been given 60 days notice, more than enough time to find a new place. Why can't people act like grown ups and do the right thing, move? Why must everything be about gaming the system, and forcing yourself on someone else's property?

If the OP really needs more time, let them talk it out with their landlord. If they've been a good tenant, I'm sure the landlord wouldn't mind giving him an extension as long as it's reasonable. If the OP wants 6 months to an year of time, no landlord would accept that.

Also, the tenant blacklist is a godsend for landlords, especially small time landlords like myself. The only protection against problem tenants landlords have is tenant screening. Once they are in, the city protects them at all costs, even if they are problem tenants. I dodged a bullet last month with one such tenant. Excellent job/income, good credit, references, etc. But then I found out he had been in court 3 times over the last 4 years for non-payment of rent. The reference letter from his previous landlord turned out to be bull**** as the previous landlord wanted to help him move out by any means necessary.
There is no right thing. There is the LEGAL thing. If for example this person stayed in this place for 20 years and paid rent to the landlord and has proof, and if this is rent stabilized property the owner can't just legally kick this person out. If this went to court, the landlord may have to give the OP a lease. Of course I don't know that this is the situation, or what the situation is and the OP is not obligated to tell us. If he/she is smart will consult with a LAWYER and I POSTED FREE LEGAL RESOURCES. Yes the courts have free lawyers the public can consult with, as does LEGAL AID. And as noted if the OP has enough money they can hire a private attorney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 12:33 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There is no right thing. There is the LEGAL thing. If for example this person stayed in this place for 20 years and paid rent to the landlord and has proof, and if this is rent stabilized property the owner can't just legally kick this person out. If this went to court, the landlord may have to give the OP a lease. Of course I don't know that this is the situation, or what the situation is and the OP is not obligated to tell us. If he/she is smart will consult with a LAWYER and I POSTED FREE LEGAL RESOURCES. Yes the courts have free lawyers the public can consult with, as does LEGAL AID. And as noted if the OP has enough money they can hire a private attorney.
You're being purposely obtuse. I used the phrase "right thing" for reason. Sometimes, what is right isn't always legal. For example, in some states, including California, it is legal for a husband to rape his wife. Now just because it is legal, I'm not going to go around encouraging men to lawyer up and rape their wives. This is an open forum where we people post and ask for our OPINIONS, and unless the OP has a slumlord, the RIGHT thing to do would be to move out. PERIOD. Not waste tax payer money to clog up the courts because it's "legal" to game the system.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:39 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
You're being purposely obtuse. I used the phrase "right thing" for reason. Sometimes, what is right isn't always legal. For example, in some states, including California, it is legal for a husband to rape his wife. Now just because it is legal, I'm not going to go around encouraging men to lawyer up and rape their wives. This is an open forum where we people post and ask for our OPINIONS, and unless the OP has a slumlord, the RIGHT thing to do would be to move out. PERIOD. Not waste tax payer money to clog up the courts because it's "legal" to game the system.
It is not the right thing to just move out because a landlord asks you. Just because someone asks you do so something does not mean you are obligated to do so. His/her landlord is not the master.

The OP has every RIGHT to find out his rights from a lawyer and depending on what the lawyer says, let the courts decide it.

And spare me the weeping and wailing tales of a small time landlord. If it's too much to you sell to a bigger operator who has the resources to deal with these issues.

This is NYC, all the person has to keep doing is keep mentioning his/her situation. The OP will get in contact with legal counsel, and from there it will go where it will go.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:13 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,370 times
Quote:
It is not the right thing to just move out because a landlord asks you. Just because someone asks you do so something does not mean you are obligated to do so. His/her landlord is not the master.

The OP has every RIGHT to find out his rights from a lawyer and depending on what the lawyer says, let the courts decide it.

And spare me the weeping and wailing tales of a small time landlord. If it's too much to you sell to a bigger operator who has the resources to deal with these issues.

This is NYC, all the person has to keep doing is keep mentioning his/her situation. The OP will get in contact with legal counsel, and from there it will go where it will go.
The landlord is asking for HIS "legal" property back. He's not forcing himself in and taking it away. He was more than reasonable in giving the OP DOUBLE the standard time. What exactly is wrong with that?

Where was I weeping? I was replying to a "weeping" poster complaining about the tenant blacklist.All I stated was that the blacklist is a godsend, but it's tenant advocates like yourself that are weeping about it. If you don't like rules or screening, buy your own property and stop weeping about it.

I repeat, the RIGHT thing to do, unless the OP's landlord is a slumlord, is to MOVE. Otherwise you're just wasting tax payer money clogging up the system just because it's "legal" to do so.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:13 PM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times
it looks like unless you are stabilized , rent controlled or one of the special situations listed below you have nothing special as far as protection from being asked to move .

http://www.ag.ny.gov/sites/default/f...sing_Guide.pdf

Old 09-02-2016, 02:07 PM

419 posts, read 625,551 times
Nywriterdude you keyboard warrior, this is nyc i hope you encounter someone "For instance tomorrow morning I'll get up nice and early, take a walk down over to the bank and... walk in and see and, uh... if you don't have my money for me, I'll... crack your ****in' head wide-open in front of everybody in the bank. And just about the time that I'm comin' out of jail, hopefully, you'll be coming out of your coma. And guess what? I'll split your ****cin' head open again. 'Cause I'm ****in' stupid. I don't give a **** about jail. That's my business. That's what I do." then hopefully you will whats right.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:54 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
It's nobody's place to prove that to you. The OP has to discuss his situation with a lawyer and the lawyer will tell him if he has rights or not. We do not have the OP's full situation, and that includes his length of time in the apartment, whether there's proof of payment, etc. Or whether or not he was living with someone who was the primary leaseholder, etc.

I gave links to some legal resources for him to contact and talk to on those issues, and those are all the links that are necessary.
Actually, the second that this poster spewed hatred toward me, saying that I'm wrong and then following it up with this personal attack about me displaying "arrogant, cocksure ignorance" with my supposedly wrong answer, then, yes, I have every right to ask for proof that I'm "wrong."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
Yeah, once again, you're wrong.
You never let me down with your arrogant, cocksure ignorance, Henna. Keep on keeping' on...
I still don't think I'm wrong. If I am wrong, then show me with a link to a reliable source -- that's all I'm saying. But posters should not spew vitriol especially when they have no proof to back up their accusations.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 2,492 times
Hi, and thank you for all of the responses.

Please, stop the bickering. Is it really worth it? There are so many other problems in this world - in this country.... The online bickering I have seen the past few years is just silly. If you disagree with someone - fine. No problem there. But to start the back and forth of THIS IS THE INTERNET AND I AM RIGHT AND I WILL NOT STOP UNTIL I MAKE YOU REALIZE THAT is just silly, immature and a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Most people in rent controlled apartment have no lease but are nevertheless protected against eviction without cause. How long have you been in our apartment?

I have been in the apt for 31 years. It is not rent controlled. I pay by check each month. The landlord loves me; I always pay the rent on time; never cause a problem - she hardly ever hears from me except when something is broken (like the boiler in the basement, for ex)

The landlord has sold the building, and although she has talked me up to the new owner, the new owner wants to get me and the other tenant out. Why, I do not know. I told this person I would be willing to take a rent hike to stay, but the answer was no. Maybe they have family they want to have live there? I don't know.

Thank you for the lawyer referral service idea - I will give them a call on Tues., and see if I can talk to someone who may have an idea or two. I am 68 years old. I am not looking for 'special privileges' - it's just that I want to know my rights and want to ensure I am not forced to leave on what I would consider short notice. Maybe a lawyer can advise me there. I don't want to move (familiarity, convenience), but am not opposed to it. It's just that rent is so high nowadays, I am concerned that it may take me longer than I have time. To some of you, two months may seem adequate, but when you are forced to leave, and MUST find a place in what is basically 60 days, that time frame all of a sudden does not seem so adequate. I guess it's hard to understand unless you have been there.

I have started looking, and tho there are a few leads that look promising, there are no guarantees that they will work out. I will keep looking. It's just a little scary when there is so little time.

Thank you again for the time, and please - everyone, relax, and respect one another. The world needs more respect. Good night and God Bless.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:47 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Sean,

Why does your landlord want you out?

Old 09-03-2016, 09:47 AM

782 posts, read 526,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanm1960 View Post
Hi, and thank you for all of the responses.

Please, stop the bickering. Is it really worth it? There are so many other problems in this world - in this country.... The online bickering I have seen the past few years is just silly. If you disagree with someone - fine. No problem there. But to start the back and forth of THIS IS THE INTERNET AND I AM RIGHT AND I WILL NOT STOP UNTIL I MAKE YOU REALIZE THAT is just silly, immature and a waste of time.

I have been in the apt for 31 years. It is not rent controlled. I pay by check each month. The landlord loves me; I always pay the rent on time; never cause a problem - she hardly ever hears from me except when something is broken (like the boiler in the basement, for ex)

The landlord has sold the building, and although she has talked me up to the new owner, the new owner wants to get me and the other tenant out. Why, I do not know. I told this person I would be willing to take a rent hike to stay, but the answer was no. Maybe they have family they want to have live there? I don't know.

Thank you for the lawyer referral service idea - I will give them a call on Tues., and see if I can talk to someone who may have an idea or two. I am 68 years old. I am not looking for 'special privileges' - it's just that I want to know my rights and want to ensure I am not forced to leave on what I would consider short notice. Maybe a lawyer can advise me there. I don't want to move (familiarity, convenience), but am not opposed to it. It's just that rent is so high nowadays, I am concerned that it may take me longer than I have time. To some of you, two months may seem adequate, but when you are forced to leave, and MUST find a place in what is basically 60 days, that time frame all of a sudden does not seem so adequate. I guess it's hard to understand unless you have been there.

I have started looking, and tho there are a few leads that look promising, there are no guarantees that they will work out. I will keep looking. It's just a little scary when there is so little time.

Thank you again for the time, and please - everyone, relax, and respect one another. The world needs more respect. Good night and God Bless.
The new landlord probably wants you out so they can renovate and subsequently charge a much higher rent. If you've been there for 31 years, then everything is old. Since you say the new landlord is also getting rid of the other tenant, he/she might also be making more substantial changes to the building.

Sixty days should be fine, and if you legitimately need another month or so, the landlord would probably be willing to work with you. You will likely find, as you apartment hunt, that most apartments on the market today are for a move-in date of no later than Oct 1. Then in late Sept/early Oct, there will be a lot of new inventory hitting the market that will be for a move-in date of Nov 1. So unless you have very specific requirements that are hard to find, you will most likely land something in time.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City