Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 10:15 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
The problem with corner Americanized Chinese restaurants is the amount of oil. You finish the meal and there's a pool of oil left, enough to create a new batch of salad dressing. Jesus all mighty, that can't be good for you.
The thing with that oil is that you don't eat that pool of oil, American Chinese or authentic Chinese. It's meant to help cook and flavor the food, but it's generally something that's used to quickly stir-fry and ensure even cooking of things with the hot oil. However, that oil leftover from the method isn't meant to be eaten. It's not like baking with a crap ton of butter or making some kind of casserole where the vast majority of oil is incorporated into the eaten part where you eat virtually all of the oil you put into the dish.

You're supposed to grab the morsels from those dishes and then eat those morsels accompanied with rice--not dump everything including the oil into your rice though it's alright to pour a bit of oil into the rice. Take a look at chopsticks--those certainly aren't made to gather a bunch of liquid oil. It's made to grab pieces that are lightly coated with the cooking oils and seasonings as you put it into your mouth or on to your rice. It's kind of horrifying to me is to watch people pour the whole container of the vegetable/meat dishes onto their rice with all the oil and then just mash the whole thing together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 10:46 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Tons of rich transplants from the suburbs of Rich-consin now making their own authentic Chinese restaurants all over the city. Authenticity doesn't = ethnicity anymore, it = 40 dollar small plates and a crappy instagram account.
REally? I have not seen one yet. Panda and PF changs have chinese founders.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:10 PM

615 posts, read 448,446 times
Worst toilet I've ever been in was the 145th or 155th street stop on the D.
I got a sudden attack of the s hits and jumped off the train.
Between the old incandescent lighting, thugs, and smell, it was bad.
If I had to do that again, I'd go in my pants instead.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:46 PM

148 posts, read 175,703 times
Well, they are opening a Panda Express right across Metropolitan Ave. from the Wendy's there:

Panda Express Opening New Outpost in Rego Park

Old 09-07-2016, 07:50 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
They've been pretty aggressively expanding in this region of the country.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:09 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yeah they are also opening one in downtown Brooklyn/Fulton St mall.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:57 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The one local to me is one in Cross Country Shopping Center in Yonkers. I'm not blown away by it personally but there's always line to near or out the door during the weekends.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:20 AM

There are much less chinese takeout places than there were say in the 1990's so it is a smart business strategy if they are smart with locations. I don't think they were too smart with Fordham and Jerome though a much better spot for them would have been Fordham plaza or another spot east of Jerome on Fordham Road.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
The one local to me is one in Cross Country Shopping Center in Yonkers. I'm not blown away by it personally but there's always line to near or out the door during the weekends.
That burger joint in cross county is pretty good. Forgot the name though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City