Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many shots fired at this years West Indian Parade?
0 0 0%
1 2 5.71%
2 5 14.29%
3 4 11.43%
All hell is going to break loose! 24 68.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 02:04 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,306,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You're think you're going to get an accurate number on here? That's ambitious.
Just trying to change the topic back to its initial purpose. Away from this back and forth about nothing and over to news and police reports on actual shootings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 02:16 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,669,634 times
J'Ouvert's route, on Empire Blvd in the early a.m., goes in between two rough neighborhoods: Ebbets Field and Lefferts Gardens.
Extra cops and extra cameras didn't stop the violence, last night! One wonders whether this celebration has to go!

The Parade, itself, while with issues, is during the daytime, and brings a lot of economic revenue to the City.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:57 PM

19,026 posts, read 13,932,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
250,000 people at an event, not more than 20 violent. No proof that these 20 were at the event to enjoy themselves and now you damn the entire Caribbean community.

Maybe I should define all white men by the mass killings that have become so common.
I don't care what you do lol. The whole Labor Day weekend debacle in Brooklyn will still remain what it is.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
This is ridiculous. Why would you rationalize murders being committed at the West Indian Day parade? (even one murder/shooting is too many)

How many people were shot/murdered at this year's Israel Day parade in Manhattan?
Yeah, I didn't think so.
That's how they rationalize claims of racism rather than address their issues.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I am merely refusing to allow airborne and others to damn the 1 million people who are of Caribbean origin because of the actions of 20 people.

Now should I damn every Trump supporter as a violent racist because of violent incidences which have occurred. That would be equivalent to damning 60% of the white population.

Should I damn every Jew as an evil criminal because many of the fraudulent landlords happen to be Jewish?

If I did so you will accuse me of bigotry, and yet you will condone some one like airborne who seizes every opportunity to damn the ENTIIRE 2 million black people who live in NYC because of how 5% behave.
You can't refuse me anything. We're all just idiots talking. How do you plan to stop that? Lol

Self-importance on the internet is hilarious. You and I are both nothing. I say what I say with no intention that any single person will believe me or care. You sure seem to though lol.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:12 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,244,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I don't like crowds in the street like that so I don't go. It could be the most peaceful parade in NYC and I still won't go. I'm not a big fan of parades in general anymore. Used to be, but nowadays not so much. I might make an exception for if the Knicks ever win, but that's it.
You won't have to worry about the Knicks for a while.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:12 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
As it happens: actually I do feel that communities should take responsibility for those in our midst who are not doing the right thing.

Similarly, I really wish more Muslim-Americans, and Muslim New Yorkers, instead of crying and whining about being victims of "Islamophobia", would cry out about those New Yorkers who have been victims of Islam! Thousands of us died on 9/11 at the hands of Muslims!
So, yes, most Muslims are not terrorists, but I'd like to see them take some responsibility for their own community and the extremists within.

Similarly the high rate of criminality in the African American and Caribbean communities.
If you know so much why don't you lecture those criminals in worst Black neighborhoods on how to behave? You claim to know everything.

There are guys in my neighborhood that have their share of run in with the law. Any person with half a brain would realize why lecturing a repeat offender might not be a good idea. But if you really are that stupid you are more than welcome to come and try to lecture them. If you get hurt or killed, then that's all your fault.

No one can force another individual to do something, or to not do something. It's really up to the individual.

The racist charge comes when you insist Muslims have some special powers to control the behaviors of other Muslims, or when you insist Black people have some special powers to control the behaviors of other Black people. But since yourself so self righteous, do the job yourself or shut up. (if you do the job yourself I hope you have good medical and/or life insurance).

Old 09-05-2016, 08:23 PM

So my friends on the ground are reporting boiling water being thrown on them from rooftops. Sounds normal for that parade. Just another typical labor day celebration for those who don't labor all year.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
The reason why this problem has festered is that too often Caribbean immigrants, and other immigrants have looked down their noses at the groups that they consider to be America's under class, and that is African Americans and Puerto Ricans. With great arrogance they thought that their kids were immune from what they saw as dysfunctional behavior by these two US minority groups. So they didn't know how to protect their kids growing up in dysfunctional communities.

Many immigrant kids are in gangs. Even the so called model Chinese and Korean kids. Albanian and other Eastern European gangs, and definitely Hispanic gangs. I am not aware of gang activity among the Franco Africans, most of whom are working class, but maybe that is to come.

Please don't fool yourself.

And they are in gangs for many reasons. Their parents are ignorant about what they must do to protect the kids from being influenced by the streets. They work long hours and come home tired. Stress between the parents is high. If there isn't a divorce then there is rampant spousal abuse.

And then the normal generational conflicts are worsened by the cultural conflicts between foreign born parents and NYC raised kids, who want to do what they see other kids doing. In fact it is even worse in groups where the parents have language issues and therefore depend heavily on the kids, given them more power than children should have.

About 20 years ago a tourist was killed by a South American kid, while visiting NYC with his family. This story got publicity. Then we heard that the South American kid came from a family with working parents. The kid was part of a gang.
Having been in both South America and the Caribbean, let's not pretend that there aren't gangs there. The tourist parts of the Caribbean have lots of prostitution.

But I am NOT KNOCKING people from the Caribbean or South America. Gangs exist all AROUND the world, AMONG WHITE PEOPLE, ASIANS, etc. I am just pointing out the US did not invent gangs, and you have some degree of gang activity all around the world. Part of it simply maybe youthful rebellion, which happens in every generation. I am sure most of these kids grow out of it.

White kids from the suburbs do drugs and cause trouble too . What about Olympian Ryan Lochte? He and has drunk White American friends trashed a gas station on a drunken rampage (gangster style). Only this was Brazil, where the security and the police can kill you for this . The security guard pulled out a gun and forced him to pay for damaged. Lochte (not sure if I spelled his name right and I don't care to Google it) lied and said they were held up, but the Brazil police investigated and he is busted and has lost multiple major endorsements!

Let's not even talk about mafia killings that make the news, and people want to declare gangs an issue of non white immigrants and African Americans when it is a worldwide issue. Most so called "gangsters" don't take it that far.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
You're just going through lengths to "prove" the supposed inferiority or criminality of black people.

It's generally what's these posters do here...and continue to do. The Puerto Rican parade also has a lots of violence (I myself am Puerto Rican...so no I'm not giving anyone or ethnic group a "pass" if that's what you're thinking). And no I do not like it.

The West Indian Day Parade route is too cluttered and congested...it's a headache getting through it even the floats have a tough time coming down the parkway.
These are idiots who never went anyway.

Much of the world has issues with crime and law enforcement that make what we have in the US and NYC look like child's play.

I saw security guards at bank branches in the Dominican Republic with loaded guns.

This was far from the only place I've been to where the police, soldiers, and security can outright shoot to kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City