Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 01:30 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I wouldnt really call going to the Labor Day parade a good way to learn about West Indian culture.

The real culture is found in the bars, restaurants, and backyard parties. Or going to Carnival in the island of your choice. To me Labor Day got too commercialized and turned into a "who's island is the best" kinda thing. That's maybe another underlying reason why it can get violent because its a competition thing, whereas the Puerto Rican day parade is to honor just Puerto Ricans. Or St. Patrick's Day honors the just Irish. You have 1 event honoring a bunch of countries that really don't have honor toward each other when it comes down to it.

Have a Latin Pan-American day parade and see if Puerto Ricans will chill with Dominicans and Mexicans and Hondurans and Panamanians.

PS: My father has been going to the parade since it first started in Lincoln Terrace Park and he said in the early days crime wasnt a problem.
I just disagree with the bottom part. There is competition between different islands but...The parade isn't that divided... You will indeed find people from different backgrounds coming together throughout the parade and people who have no ties to the Caribbean go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 01:34 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
I just disagree with the bottom part. There is competition between different islands but...The parade isn't that divided... You will indeed find people from different backgrounds coming together throughout the parade and people who have no ties to the Caribbean go.
Nahh absolutely....thats why I said its maybe another underlying reason

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-05-2016, 01:48 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Check out the crime map on trulia. The high crime/red areas are almost always in black and Latino areas.

Crime Data for New York, NY - Trulia

I'm not making this up, and I think you know that.

In particular, there is more violent crime committed in black neighborhoods (as opposed to white and Latino neighborhoods).
But still have mostly white people killing other white people, black people killing other black people, Asian people killing other Asian people, Hispanic etc. and I'm not even talking about just America. I was watching Narcos the other day and the way people talk about Chicago, you would think it was like Meddelin.

No there isn't a mass difference in violent crime in similar white and Latino neighborhood. I can compare a poor Latino area in LA, where gangs are huge and violence wouldn't be a stark contrast from NYC. Mexican gangs are actually taking over Compton, the blood and crips don't want any part of it. The problem is violence is directly related to poverty. Poor neighborhoods more crime, whether black or white or Asian. Drugs and gangs, is a direct relationship to fast money and all the problems that come along with it. And then we can also point to which neighborhoods are vastly over patrolled compared to others. This Russian kid was the weed man in my high school. Selling drugs up and down the school, never got caught.

People act like this isn't a cause and effect of generations of disenfranchised members of a particular community. just like discrimination/slavery didn't end overnight, we all know how long that took. So yes all the years of neglect has consequences, there are many who are active in the community to make things better. Unfortunately the bad is always highlighted, just like the blue live matter crowd like to say a few officers actions don't reflect badly on the police force, I wish the same common sense was applied to the black community. But nope the same paint brush is used over a whole community like its homogenous.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:55 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
But still have mostly white people killing other white people, black people killing other black people, Asian people killing other Asian people, Hispanic etc. and I'm not even talking about just America. I was watching Narcos the other day and the way people talk about Chicago, you would think it was like Meddelin.

No there isn't a mass difference in violent crime in similar white and Latino neighborhood. I can compare a poor Latino area in LA, where gangs are huge and violence wouldn't be a stark contrast from NYC. Mexican gangs are actually taking over Compton, the blood and crips don't want any part of it. The problem is violence is directly related to poverty. Poor neighborhoods more crime, whether black or white or Asian. Drugs and gangs, is a direct relationship to fast money and all the problems that come along with it. And then we can also point to which neighborhoods are vastly over patrolled compared to others. This Russian kid was the weed man in my high school. Selling drugs up and down the school, never got caught.

People act like this isn't a cause and effect of generations of disenfranchised members of a particular community. just like discrimination/slavery didn't end overnight, we all know how long that took. So yes all the years of neglect has consequences, there are many who are active in the community to make things better. Unfortunately the bad is always highlighted, just like the blue live matter crowd like to say a few officers actions don't reflect badly on the police force, I wish the same common sense was applied to the black community. But nope the same paint brush is used over a whole community like its homogenous.
Yes, but black people are a relatively small minority in America and are disproportionately involved in violent crime, far above their proportion in the general population. (Yes, it's true their victims are usually other black people. Does that make it okay?)

We just theorized above that many of the gangs in Brooklyn are first generation immigrant kids of hard-working immigrant Caribbean parents, many of them educated.
So it's not "generations of disenfranchised members of a community."
That can't be the excuse.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:17 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Keep the parade, get rid of J'Ouvert!

Old 09-05-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:

YESSS someone writes a post that makes sense about crime.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Yes, but black people are a relatively small minority in America and are disproportionately involved in violent crime, far above their proportion in the general population. (Yes, it's true their victims are usually other black people. Does that make it okay?)

We just theorized above that many of the gangs in Brooklyn are first generation immigrant kids of hard-working immigrant Caribbean parents, many of them educated.
So it's not "generations of disenfranchised members of a community."
That can't be the excuse.
Numerous studies have shown that even though blacks and whites use drugs as the same rates...it's blacks who are targeted the most for non violent drug crimes.

Crime is always disproportionately from poor urban areas. Take about any country in the world and most of the crime in urban areas is larger than the mean.

If you're not aware in Europe there's also heavy concern of children of poor immigrants turning to crime. I won't even mention historic policies and implications. People like to gloss over these...which necesarily isn't ok, but some will just get the impression that I'm trying to creating a cry me river sob story for criminals.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:23 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
The parade itself is not the problem...it's the 24/7 partying. Unless police get really aggressive with it...there's no way to shut it down.

it's like a forest fire...you just have to wait and allow it to put itself out.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:25 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:

This is just pure nonsense.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:40 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,014 times
Too many Aggros and Sociopaths out there. They are just waiting for someone to accidentally bump into them or even look towards their direction or even say something to them. Even extreme jealousy plays a part too. "What Wtf! He can afford that, how dare he wear that!! WTF she is talking to him GTFO!! "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City