U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 01:50 PM

19,484 posts, read 34,548,259 times

Advertisements

Can anybody give me some info about this place?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 08:37 PM

20,611 posts, read 13,622,677 times
What do you want to know?

That project is new construction in a rather sketchy part of Tompkinsville.

Victory Blvd leading down to Bay Street once was very nice going back to late as the 1980's. By the 1990's however more and more attention shifted to the South Shore or Mid-Island taking with it much of the commerce, business and other things that anchored the community. This affected really the entire area around and off Bay Street from Saint George through Tompkinsville and Stapleton.

http://doortodoorrealty.com/pavillion-hill-terrace-2/

NEW BRIGHTON, Staten Island - Forgotten New York

Above Victory Blvd you have Ward's Hill which not only has some beautiful older homes but killer views of the harbor.

People are betting that with the Wheel, Empire Outlets and other projects planned or proposed that Saint George and the surrounding areas will make a "come back". Revealed: 12 Van Duzer Street, Tompkinsville, Staten Island - New York YIMBY

A couple of years back there was a dust-up between developers/owners of the property an local residents over clearing the site, but guess that was resolved: Staten Island neighborhood kerfuffle erupts after felling of trees | SILive.com

Can tell you home prices at least in Saint George have been edging up, but not sure about that part of Victory Blvd. It is a hood far as one is concerned and take care when driving though (to reach Bay Street then onto the VZNB), not to spend much time there.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
What do you want to know?

That project is new construction in a rather sketchy part of Tompkinsville.

Victory Blvd leading down to Bay Street once was very nice going back to late as the 1980's. By the 1990's however more and more attention shifted to the South Shore or Mid-Island taking with it much of the commerce, business and other things that anchored the community. This affected really the entire area around and off Bay Street from Saint George through Tompkinsville and Stapleton.

http://doortodoorrealty.com/pavillion-hill-terrace-2/

NEW BRIGHTON, Staten Island - Forgotten New York

Above Victory Blvd you have Ward's Hill which not only has some beautiful older homes but killer views of the harbor.

People are betting that with the Wheel, Empire Outlets and other projects planned or proposed that Saint George and the surrounding areas will make a "come back". Revealed: 12 Van Duzer Street, Tompkinsville, Staten Island - New York YIMBY

A couple of years back there was a dust-up between developers/owners of the property an local residents over clearing the site, but guess that was resolved: Staten Island neighborhood kerfuffle erupts after felling of trees | SILive.com

Can tell you home prices at least in Saint George have been edging up, but not sure about that part of Victory Blvd. It is a hood far as one is concerned and take care when driving though (to reach Bay Street then onto the VZNB), not to spend much time there.
Thanks for the info. It looks like you access it from some stair streets at Victory Boulevard and Monroe Avenue. Can I go up there and check it out? Is it private? It looks as if some homes are there and was wondering if it is accessible by road or not. Looks like nobody living at that address will own cars. Because Pavillion Hill Terrace is a street on Staten Island and there are houses up there. I am going to be in Staten Island for business tomorrow and figured I would go take a look when I was done and grab a beer on Bay Street maybe.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Thanks for the info. It looks like you access it from some stair streets at Victory Boulevard and Monroe Avenue. Can I go up there and check it out? Is it private? It looks as if some homes are there and was wondering if it is accessible by road or not. Looks like nobody living at that address will own cars. Because Pavillion Hill Terrace is a street on Staten Island and there are houses up there. I am going to be in Staten Island for business tomorrow and figured I would go take a look when I was done and grab a beer on Bay Street maybe.

Far as I know those stairs have always been "public", anyone can go up or down.

Those living at this new development can own cars, they just will have to park them on the street. Not sure about parking along Victory Blvd, but there are the side streets.

By all means go and check things out for yourself. Ask questions while you are there as well to get local feedback. Think developers are going after the "transplant" or whatever crowd mayor de Boob and others seem to think will make the Saint George area the next "Williamsburg".

While doable living without a car even on that part of the North Shore would be a PITA far as one is concerned.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Far as I know those stairs have always been "public", anyone can go up or down.

Those living at this new development can own cars, they just will have to park them on the street. Not sure about parking along Victory Blvd, but there are the side streets.

By all means go and check things out for yourself. Ask questions while you are there as well to get local feedback. Think developers are going after the "transplant" or whatever crowd mayor de Boob and others seem to think will make the Saint George area the next "Williamsburg".

While doable living without a car even on that part of the North Shore would be a PITA far as one is concerned.
Thanks. It does look like a crappy part of town around there, no lie.....Last time I was there was coming back from Six Flags we stopped off at that KFC. Why does it look like that around there? Real run-down kinda.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks. It does look like a crappy part of town around there, no lie.....Last time I was there was coming back from Six Flags we stopped off at that KFC. Why does it look like that around there? Real run-down kinda.

Years ago (talking through the 1980's or maybe early 1990's) Victory Blvd from Silver Lake down to Bay Street was a nice area. Then one by one things began changing starting with Staten Island Hospital moving to the South Shore. The HMO HIP soon followed (moved to Clove Road), from then on it was the gradual slow decline of Tompkinsville, New Brighton, Saint George, etc.... The College of Staten Island (or at least then known as Richmond College) had a campus on Saint Mark's Place just down the street from Borough Hall. It packed up and moved to Willowbrook when the two campus were combined.

Corner of Victory and Bay once had a business school (Drake) and other good businesses. Had a classmate who worked out at USPH hospital (became Baley Seton now closed) who lived in West Brighton. He took the bus along Bay Street and transferred at Victory all hours of day and night, no problem.

Stopped going down that way much after NYC stopped allowing cars onto the ferry. However the few times have been that way say post 9/11/01 was really shocked at how badly the area had gone downhill.

Guess as with most things the opening of the VNB played a role. Prior to that darn bridge Saint George was the "downtown" of Staten Island. You had center of government, commerce, and so forth all located down there and being near the ferry the areas of Saint George, Stapleton, Tompkinsville, etc... were (like much of the rest of North Shore) solid mostly white communities. As white flight and business flight set in the areas when to ruin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tompki..._Staten_Island

Tompkinsville Park a magnet for criminal behavior, business owners say | SILive.com

Tompkinsville Park a magnet for criminal behavior, business owners say | SILive.com

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1905990

Last edited by BugsyPal; 09-06-2016 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-06-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:

Someone just paid over $500k for a townhouse just off Victory on Monroe Street: 119 Monroe Ave, Staten Island, NY 10301 | Zillow

https://www.redfin.com/NY/Unknown/11.../home/56104714

Now I wouldn't pay that kind of money to live anywhere near that area, but again clearly others feel the place has potential.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Someone just paid over $500k for a townhouse just off Victory on Monroe Street: 119 Monroe Ave, Staten Island, NY 10301 | Zillow

https://www.redfin.com/NY/Unknown/11.../home/56104714

Now I wouldn't pay that kind of money to live anywhere near that area, but again clearly others feel the place has potential.
If I was originally from Staten Island I would pay for that. But the deal-breaker for me would be no parking.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
If I was originally from Staten Island I would pay for that. But the deal-breaker for me would be no parking.

Plenty of parking on Monroe Avenue, in fact am willing to bet anyone moving to Pavillion Hill that owns a car likely have that street as one of the places they can find parking.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...f62294!6m1!1e1

As for the rest, am *from* SI and still wouldn't pay that kind of money to live on Monroe Avenue. What is up with those shoes on the front porch anyway?

Old 11-25-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Can anybody give me some info about this place?

Yet another holiday home with the family on SI and forgot about so many other areas on "Pavillion Hill" that could recommend.

If you want to stay in Tompkinsville check out neighborhoods south of Victory Blvd going up into the "hills". Ward Hill, Tompkinsville Circle, Avon Place....

Not well known (but the secret is fast getting out), there are some fantastic properties along places like Ward and Nixon avenues.

Exalted Views, Down-to-Earth Prices - The New York Times

In the City, an Apartment With a View, and a Catch - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or