U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 12:20 PM

975 posts, read 2,408,494 times
And then there is the 18 story complex near by, Via Verde, which is reserved for the Working Class...

The Next American City / Bronx (broken link)

Quote:
The complex will be divided into co-ops and apartments. 63 co-ops units will only be available to those making under 130% of the median income level. The rest of the 139 apartments are designed for families of four making less than $56,700 a year, or around 40% of the local median income level.

More here...

Jonathan Rose Companies > Projects (http://www.rose-companies.com/projects/index.html?cat_toc.html&top.html&viaverde.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 12:23 PM

5,083 posts, read 11,601,204 times
Great deal!

And I just LOVEEEEEE the neighborhood it's in .

But I wont say anything about the cost. I am not nearly that educated on the real estate market. What I do know that price better be considered affordable with the neighborhood its in.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:27 PM

2,978 posts, read 917,052 times
That looks nice too!

Old 02-22-2008, 12:29 PM

The prices are based on percentages of Median HH Income..so it will be affordable to those in the community. I think the real question should be, for how long. Because of the quality and uniqueness of the huge development, I suspect there will be talk of converting to co-ops or condos within a few years....$$$ talks.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:49 PM

508 posts, read 1,435,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
Some great photos and comments by this Financial Times UK report...

FT.com / Home UK / UK - Next Neighbourhood: South Bronx
Great link Cyrusjul, thanks! If I was a betting man and had the money to back my words up I would definitly be investing in the south Bronx right now. I think Bushwick is the current obvious choice for the next artist/hipster outpost but prices there are way ahead of the amenities currently offered. The industrial parts of the South Bronx look a lot like the blank slate that Williamsburg was well over a decade ago. I think it has a ways to go still but it looks promising.

I'm curious why a developer with DEEP pockets doesn't go in and buy up a bunch of land then turn a few buildings into subsidized artist lofts. If they can attract that first wave into the area then more young folks will follow at which point they could start building and making some real bucks. Kind like what David Walentas did to the DUMBO no-man's-land.

I know, I know, go ahead and chastise me for encouraging the influx of young white folks and artists into the area. I'm just saying that this group will always be looking for large, affordable spaces as close to Manhattan as possible and the South Bronx definitly seems to be queued up to see that gentrification. As silly as it is, often times these gentrifiers are drawn to the grit and name recognition of former crime problem areas.

I admittedly haven't been on a walking tour of the South Bronx but would like to check it out this summer. Maybe I can convince guywithacause to give me a tour.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:16 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,286,935 times
I would love for the South Bronx to bloom, but with credit drying up far too many planned projects just aren't going to happen. It's so sad.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:47 PM
DAS

2,276 posts, read 3,648,569 times
Yes, you should go on a tour and Guy will take you to Mott Haven which is fine.

But go check out Morrisania and walk going East of Third Ave and the PJ's to the border of Intervale and go North to about 169th and walk over to Crotona Park and over to Crotona Park North. Crotona Park has Indian lake, a public pool and baseball fields. No PJ's in any direction.

It's so vacant over there. Most of the people that remain are Black Americans, Puerto Ricans, some Mexicans, some from other South American countries and some Immigrants from Africa. You would be welcomed there. There are quite a few home owners holding on waiting for some life to be breathed back into the area. Some white people very few though have already moved into the area. I hope some people, any color with some vision and money will go over there. It's all near the #2 and #5 trains a straight and fast ride into Manhattan East or West side.

Yes there is crime and there is drugs, but plenty of vacant and potentially vacant land, that you don't have push anyone off of. It is not a place where people are rushing to go to, to rent an apt so you won't be pricing anyone out.

It has the potential to be anything that you would want it to be. It is very lacking in businesses and services this is why most people don't consider it. You can't just go over there and live. It needs to be redeveloped. So if you have those connections go see it and get the word out.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:16 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,060,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I would love for the South Bronx to bloom, but with credit drying up far too many planned projects just aren't going to happen. It's so sad.
You could not be more wrong!

Old 02-23-2008, 08:40 PM

85 posts, read 268,140 times
No matter how anyone tries to wash it, 156/3rd is the middle of the south bronx ghetto. No, not every person that lives there is ghetto, but many are and I would never subject my children to that environment.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:55 PM

jeffcon...just shoot me a private message and we can make it happen. Jt1775...you should probably take the time to see 156 and 3rd ave..right now there are mostly vacant lots....but in about 3 years...there will be all new developments targeted at the middle class, wonderful condos, green rooves, green homes, open space/parks, a college, and upgraded infrastructure and transportation. Before you form an opinion based on how thing WERE, you should see for yourself and experience the way things are going to be very shortly....google it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City