U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 11:32 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,425,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
My biggest grievance as a daily driver in New York is that no one has any regard for other cars while parking. They will knock into your front and back bumpers repeatedly like its no big deal. Some say that's just the reality of parallel street parking in a city so densely packed with cars....personally (and especially with the advent of back up cameras), I think its really not that hard to park carefully enough to not make contact with other cars.

As for actual fender-bender accidents, they're actually very uncommon on the streets. They are however very common on parkways and expressways here (like the BQE, Belt Parkway or Cross Bronx), which are way too narrow and poorly designed for modern driving standards. Combine that with perpetual stop and go traffic, you get lots or rear-end collisions.
A lot of drivers don't have the patience or time to zip around and around for the right sized parking space, so they push the issue and try to sandwich into a parking space that is very tight for their car.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 12:51 PM

5,864 posts, read 5,752,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
My biggest grievance as a daily driver in New York is that no one has any regard for other cars while parking. They will knock into your front and back bumpers repeatedly like its no big deal. Some say that's just the reality of parallel street parking in a city so densely packed with cars....personally (and especially with the advent of back up cameras), I think its really not that hard to park carefully enough to not make contact with other cars.
I don't see it too often where I live (you're more likely to see someone hit and run) but when I do see people knocking into bumpers, they are usually REALLY tight spots. The other day some guy was boxed in and he had, I kid you not, maybe an inch in the front and an inch in the back to get out. Many cars out there do not have back-up cameras, mine included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
A lot of drivers don't have the patience or time to zip around and around for the right sized parking space, so they push the issue and try to sandwich into a parking space that is very tight for their car.
I will look for a spot that is size appropriate---however, I don't have as many issues with parking based on where I live. Go to almost any other part of my neighborhood and people are desperate---you can circle around for hours and never find a spot, especially if you come back late. Obviously someone in this situation will squeeze into a spot out of desperation. My friend once couldn't find a thing when he came home late and he ended up sleeping in his car until morning. Thankfully, where I am, if I come home at 3 AM, I know if I go 4-5 short blocks down, I have a place to put the car.

Of course, yes, there are always lazy people who need to be as close to their houses as humanly possible.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:51 AM

787 posts, read 869,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
I've never had a collision while moving, although I have bumped some bumpers gently while parallel parking. But who doesn't?
Hit and run huh MAX?

Old 09-15-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
On my current car I've had:

-Someone crash into the back of my bumper---they only damaged the bumper (put a hole through it) and they paid for a new one.
-Two separate occasions where my side mirrors were knocked off---and only one of those was on a narrow street.
-A shopping cart blowing through a parking lot at such a high rate of speed that my MIL thought another car hit us---completely dented the entire panel.
-A motorcycle hit the back of the bumper, didn't really damage it but managed to take off the paint and left a huge black mark.
-Not too long ago on the Belt Parkway I had to hit the brakes (along with everyone else in front of me) however the guy behind me was traveling too fast and couldn't stop in time---he scuffed my bumper and the guy behind him hit him. He didn't do any real damage so I left. What am I going to say, you hit my ****ty looking bumper?
-I also have what I call "The Brooklyn Bumper" that is just the natural beating your car takes when you parallel park on the streets for---let's see, I've had this car for seven years now. My car is white and it sucks because you see every scratch, black spot, dent, etc.

I am hoping to not be commuting by car soon because I am so sick of driving in traffic. I honestly don't give a crap about my car being bumped---it's almost ten years old, it has almost 150K miles and I will drive this thing into the ground before I buy a new car.

And yes if someone boxes me in, I have no problem gently nudging his or her car to get out of a spot. I have tapped people on occasion, especially in tight spaces, but usually it's my back bumper to the front of a license plate, so their front bumper isn't really taking a hit. I would say "bumping" someone is different than a fender bender. Bumping someone might not even make a mark.
What kind of car do you have? I hope you don't plain on selling it. Getting bumped is no biggie to new yorkers, its funny how different regions have different cultures.

New York is too crowded and only ok to visit in my humble opinion.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:04 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 11,210,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
And where do you live?

Old 09-15-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
And where do you live?
Las Vegas, plenty of area . They can't even rebuild in New York because there's no space for contractors to sit there supplies. Hundreds of people on the sidewalk, too cold, big old buildings...why does anybody want to live in New York.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:38 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 11,210,398 times
Quote:
Las Vegas, plenty of area . They can't even rebuild in New York because there's no space for contractors to sit there supplies. Hundreds of people on the sidewalk, too cold, big old buildings...why does anybody want to live in New York.
NYC is my dream city and I'm glad to be here.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
What kind of car do you have? I hope you don't plain on selling it. Getting bumped is no biggie to new yorkers, its funny how different regions have different cultures.

Why would I sell it? I already said I'm driving it into the ground. It's almost ten years old and it has almost 150K miles. I hope it makes it to 200K with the beating it has taken.

It's no biggie because anyone who has parallel parked for a number of years has, at some point, been so boxed in by cars on both sides you can barely get out. If you are barely moving, you can tap someone without damaging their car.

I'm very close to not commuting by car anymore to work and I cannot wait!

Old 09-16-2016, 07:15 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,746,995 times
Quote:

Why? - there isn't a car in NY that hasn't got scratched corner bumpers after 6-12 months. Its basically not an issue for people buying and selling here.

Some pansies put bumper covers on - but they are a complete waste of money because they cover the middle of the bumper. The parking squeeze action occurs at the corners of the bumpers.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Why? - there isn't a car in NY that hasn't got scratched corner bumpers after 6-12 months. Its basically not an issue for people buying and selling here.

Some pansies put bumper covers on - but they are a complete waste of money because they cover the middle of the bumper. The parking squeeze action occurs at the corners of the bumpers.

I've seen people put multiple covers so that they cover the bumper all the way across.

Of course, after awhile, I think people give up on them. They fall off or start tearing.

The only way people really protect the bumpers would be if they had the metal bars that many SUVs appear to have. There is also a guy who parks by my parents' house that has this thing that sticks out about four inches from the bumper on purpose and would probably cause damage to someone's car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or