Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 10:43 AM

7 posts, read 5,280 times

Advertisements

can somebody please suggest a safe and close (to manhattan) area in New Jersey City?

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 03:20 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,762,075 times
You could live in the most "safest" area you can find and still get robbed wherever you're going in the city, so sometimes it just a matter of luck. Most important is finding some place you can afford. If that means 1hr away with roomates do it. Its also an experience maker for lack of better terms.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:42 PM

4,754 posts, read 6,494,559 times
If you look in Jersey City, make sure you are near a PATH station. Although you will probably be paying a double fare each way.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:00 PM

15,534 posts, read 15,551,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19lucy93 View Post
Sadly, dorms there are a lot more expensive than any apartment I might rent.. Ridiculously expensive for a small area..

My parents are not letting me to have a roommate, unless it's somebody that I can trust. There's no such thing in my country like having a roommate, but I'll see

thank you for suggesting ideas!
Please explain to your parents that:
1. Roommates are very common in NYC, even for working adults, because it's so expensive.
2. A good roommate will be a great help in a strange country, as well as fun.

It's true that it will be difficult to find one, though. Again, I suggest contacting your school.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:17 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,071,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Please explain to your parents that:
1. Roommates are very common in NYC, even for working adults, because it's so expensive.
2. A good roommate will be a great help in a strange country, as well as fun.

It's true that it will be difficult to find one, though. Again, I suggest contacting your school.
I agree with this. Also, if your school is not helpful, you might try to search Facebook or yahoo groups, etc. to see if the students in your school are communicating online.

The program of the grad school I went to in NYC has its own yahoo group where people in the program often ask for or offer housing opportunities. Also, my alumni year from college has a Facebook group for NYC area alums. Generally people tend to be more supportive and helpful to others if they have a commonality -- like being students/alums of the same program, or being from the same small country.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:33 PM

If your parents are not allowing you to have a roommate, they need to kick in some more money to your monthly budget so that you can live on your own.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 457 times
Jersey City would definitely not be my first suggestion. Near the waterfront or Grove street, sure. But those areas are expensive. Try Hoboken (NJ). It's a very young area, cheaper than NYC, extremely safe at pretty much any hour of the day and you have access to the PATH which will take you direct to WTC or up to Midtown (stopping at Christopher St, 9th, 14th and 23rd first). For $1000 you'd still need a roommate, but I have seen studios go for $1200-1300 a month there. I've seen apartment shares as cheap as $800 a month in this area for a decent sized room. There's a lot of fun places to go out, the waterfront is fantastic and in the summer they have movies at the pier every week a long with a lot of other fun events.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:08 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
Jersey City,NJ. its only 10min away from manhattan

Jersey City HEIGHTS, where something under $1000 might be possible (Downtown is OUT) is more like an hour away unless you have a car and it is not rush hour.

I checked out Journal Square, Jersey City, and with a 8 block walk to the PATH train (good service) I found ONE (a 1 bedroom apartment
47 Wales Ave, Jersey City, NJ 07306 | Zillow

Old 09-17-2016, 03:13 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,427,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasToNYC View Post
Jersey City would definitely not be my first suggestion. Near the waterfront or Grove street, sure. But those areas are expensive. Try Hoboken (NJ). It's a very young area, cheaper than NYC, extremely safe at pretty much any hour of the day and you have access to the PATH which will take you direct to WTC or up to Midtown (stopping at Christopher St, 9th, 14th and 23rd first). For $1000 you'd still need a roommate, but I have seen studios go for $1200-1300 a month there. I've seen apartment shares as cheap as $800 a month in this area for a decent sized room. There's a lot of fun places to go out, the waterfront is fantastic and in the summer they have movies at the pier every week a long with a lot of other fun events.
You can get 1 bedrooms in actual NYC for 1200 dollars or less

Old 09-17-2016, 03:53 PM

^^^^ Please post some links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: