Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:05 AM

409 posts, read 1,742,242 times

Advertisements

Amstredam and W 109th ST is in Manhattan by Central park North, right? Believe it or not I was raised in the bronx, but it has been about a decade since I've been back, and I have a friend who has been offered a basement apt. on the 600 block of 109th st and asked my advice. For some reason I remember that as a bad area. Is my memory wrong? Please help me out. Thanks.

Last edited by sevdie; 02-22-2008 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 10:12 AM

6 posts, read 20,931 times
used to be bad a while ago. no longer the case. it's a good area.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:21 AM

Really? That makes me feel a lot better. I really was worried this was a bad area.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:44 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,022,073 times
I lived there (110th and Amsterdam) in 2001-02 and it wasn't too bad then; I've heard it has gone quite upscale even since that time.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:55 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,266,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevdie View Post
Amstredam and W 109th ST is in Manhattan by Central park North, right? Believe it or not I was raised in the bronx, but it has been about a decade since I've been back, and I have a friend who has been offered a basement apt. on the 600 block of 109th st and asked my advice. For some reason I remember that as a bad area. Is my memory wrong? Please help me out. Thanks.
There is no 600 block of 109th. The numbers don't begin until Central Park West so it's 0-100 = CPW/Columbus, 100-200 = Columbus/Amsterdam, 200-300 = Amsterdam/Broadway, 300-400 = Broadway/Riverside. On the east side the 300's are the highest block of 109th also.

I used to live right near 109th and Broadway and the neighborhood is fine now. On 110th and above it has gotten more upscale, but there is a fancy French restaurant on the 109-110 block of Amsterdam too. The blocks from CPW to Broadway are more tenement buildings. The block from Amsterdam to Broadway has a school and the flags of some Latin American countries strung across the street. One issue there, at least 3 years ago, is that there were a decent number of rats on that block. The Times and Daily News each ran a story on it. I'd have that concern living in a basement there.

City Is Hiring In an Assault Against Rats - New York Times

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

At bat vs. rats: West Side clubber is murder on vermin

By KERRY BURKE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Meet Manuel Rodriguez: handyman by day, self-appointed rat-whacker by night.

Rodriguez has quickly become an urban folk hero by prowling his upper West Side street with a homemade bat, which he used to smash a career-best 15 rodents Sunday night.

"When I see them coming, I get into position," said Rodriguez, 53, clutching his custom-carved pine plank, crouching low. "I can't miss."

M-Rod, as some call him, is a one-man murderers' row.

His field of dreams is not a house built by some guy named Ruth but the strip of concrete bordered by trash cans and piled-high garbage bags in front of his apartment building, on W. 109th St. and Amsterdam Ave.

"I can hit seven - maybe nine - rats a night in front of my building alone," the Dominican immigrant said, cradling his club as cumbia love ballads wafted from the apartment next door. "Over three days, I kill at least 21. Easy."

At a time when the city is at war with rats, Rodriguez is an unsung soldier. Complaints soared 29%, to 19,358, during the 2003 fiscal year, prompting a crackdown by City Hall.

Rodriguez's night job starts after he puts in an eight-hour shift as a handyman, six days a week, at a homeless shelter. He returns to the basement apartment he shares with his wife, Justina, and their 13-year-old daughter, Adaiana, and showers, puts on a cotton shirt and baseball cap and hits the streets.

First, he hunts for planks from neighborhood garbage. The ideal bat is about 3 feet long and 4 inches wide. Then, he painstakingly whittles each one a 10-inch handle with a kitchen knife, and waits till dark.

"Last night I cracked two bats, so I always have to find more," he explained.

Rodriguez's rat-smashing season begins when the temperature soars and the garbage out front begins to boil with life

The man deserves a medal," said Alan Eiland, 40, a business information analyst and father of two. "Now, I hope he moves on to these damned pigeons."

Yuck.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,022,073 times
oh yes, I do remember all the rats on 109th St., but the block I am thinking of that was so bad was 109th between Amsterdam and Columbus. Again, this was 6 years ago.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,163,247 times
People have had complaints about that area in the past, but I've never considered it a bad area. It might have never been a great neighborhood but certainly not a bad area.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:11 PM

307 posts, read 2,504,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
oh yes, I do remember all the rats on 109th St., but the block I am thinking of that was so bad was 109th between Amsterdam and Columbus. Again, this was 6 years ago.

I agree. I remember alot of rats on W 106th not that long ago. At least 10 rats (or more) running out of the trash cans in the middle of night.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:17 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,837,610 times
Yeah sometimes I walk over to that fish market on the corner of 108th and Amsterdam when it gets dark outside they come out.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
There is no 600 block of 109th. The numbers don't begin until Central Park West so it's 0-100 = CPW/Columbus, 100-200 = Columbus/Amsterdam, 200-300 = Amsterdam/Broadway, 300-400 = Broadway/Riverside. On the east side the 300's are the highest block of 109th also.

I used to live right near 109th and Broadway and the neighborhood is fine now. On 110th and above it has gotten more upscale, but there is a fancy French restaurant on the 109-110 block of Amsterdam too. The blocks from CPW to Broadway are more tenement buildings. The block from Amsterdam to Broadway has a school and the flags of some Latin American countries strung across the street. One issue there, at least 3 years ago, is that there were a decent number of rats on that block. The Times and Daily News each ran a story on it. I'd have that concern living in a basement there.

City Is Hiring In an Assault Against Rats - New York Times

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

At bat vs. rats: West Side clubber is murder on vermin

By KERRY BURKE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Meet Manuel Rodriguez: handyman by day, self-appointed rat-whacker by night.

Rodriguez has quickly become an urban folk hero by prowling his upper West Side street with a homemade bat, which he used to smash a career-best 15 rodents Sunday night.

"When I see them coming, I get into position," said Rodriguez, 53, clutching his custom-carved pine plank, crouching low. "I can't miss."

M-Rod, as some call him, is a one-man murderers' row.

His field of dreams is not a house built by some guy named Ruth but the strip of concrete bordered by trash cans and piled-high garbage bags in front of his apartment building, on W. 109th St. and Amsterdam Ave.

"I can hit seven - maybe nine - rats a night in front of my building alone," the Dominican immigrant said, cradling his club as cumbia love ballads wafted from the apartment next door. "Over three days, I kill at least 21. Easy."

At a time when the city is at war with rats, Rodriguez is an unsung soldier. Complaints soared 29%, to 19,358, during the 2003 fiscal year, prompting a crackdown by City Hall.

Rodriguez's night job starts after he puts in an eight-hour shift as a handyman, six days a week, at a homeless shelter. He returns to the basement apartment he shares with his wife, Justina, and their 13-year-old daughter, Adaiana, and showers, puts on a cotton shirt and baseball cap and hits the streets.

First, he hunts for planks from neighborhood garbage. The ideal bat is about 3 feet long and 4 inches wide. Then, he painstakingly whittles each one a 10-inch handle with a kitchen knife, and waits till dark.

"Last night I cracked two bats, so I always have to find more," he explained.

Rodriguez's rat-smashing season begins when the temperature soars and the garbage out front begins to boil with life

The man deserves a medal," said Alan Eiland, 40, a business information analyst and father of two. "Now, I hope he moves on to these damned pigeons."

Yuck.

601 W. 109th street is the address given to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City