Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 09:29 PM
e_D

86 posts, read 81,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That is all depending upon the developer/property owner.

Several persons have posted here in the past stating they either were denied in the lottery process because they already were living in an "affordable" unit and or read in the notices that such persons wouldn't be selected.

Persons also posted here in the group that they wanted to upgrade to a larger "affordable" apartment (usually because of a change in family composition such as marriage and or having a child), and were told flat out "no" by the LL. IIRC one such poster (a woman who was a NYC public school teacher) got down right indignant at both her LL's response and that of various responses to her post. The general feeling there was she had already won "one" unit so why should she be allowed to get another when others haven't even had a chance.
This makes me wonder if it's worth taking an "affordable" unit youre not head over heels for at the expense of being approved for a unit much more desirable development/area.. I guess a bird in hand is worth two in the bush but I would hate to be kicking myself to missing a top-flight development for biting on something of lesser quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 10:13 AM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedbeats View Post
This makes me wonder if it's worth taking an "affordable" unit youre not head over heels for at the expense of being approved for a unit much more desirable development/area.. I guess a bird in hand is worth two in the bush but I would hate to be kicking myself to missing a top-flight development for biting on something of lesser quality.
Does anyone know, in the HPD Marketing Guidelines, does it say that people already living in affordable housing must be passed over? If I get a chance later, I'll read through them again. But I don't recall ever seeing anything like that.

Here's the link in case anyone wants to do some digging.

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...guidelines.pdf

And here are the newly revised financial guidelines:

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...n-Criteria.pdf

Old 09-27-2016, 10:33 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Me and my family finally moved into 7 dekalb after about 2 years of getting selected/rejected/turning down other lotteries. I have gotten picked for at least 5 different lotteries. So many I've actually had to turn a lot down. We have been very lucky and we couldn't be happier with our new place. I've been lurking on this forum for years and I figured I could give back a little by giving some advice/tips on how get one of these magical NYC deals.

Please don't take this as the gospel!! This is just my based on my experience with these programs so YMMV!!

-CB preferences matter!!!
Out of most the lotteries I got picked for 4 of them were CB preference. I've talked to other 80/20's and most of the ones who got chosen had this preference. If your really interested in scoring an 80/20 I would do a little research. Target an area that you like, an area where a lot of 80/20 buildings are being built and MOVE THERE. Seriously, your best bet is to find an area with a lot of construction (downtown bk, Hell's Kitchen, etc.). It will greatly increase your odds

-Log numbers are completely meaningless!!!!
Don't worry if you applied for a development and end up with a high number. I've gotten called for numbers as low as in the 300's and as high as the 70,000's. My City point number was in the 60,000's. So don't be discouraged if you get high number. Not only have I found the number selection to be totally random but...

-Being call first or last doesn't help/hurt your chances of getting a nice apartment
Even if get called early that doesn't mean you will get the "pick of litter". Understand that these buildings are new construction, and the owners want to fill the apartments ASAP. This means that oftentimes not all the apartments are "ready" when they start showing apartments. For instance I got called for 461 dean early. I was literally the first application in. I found out that not all the apartments were even ready to be shown! So I'd imagine if I went through the process, they wouldn't have all the apartments to show me (I canceled once I got into city point). It was the same at city point, some of the higher floor units weren't ready when they first started moving tenants in. So don't get discouraged if your at the tale end of the tenant selection period. But make no mistake...

-Whatever they ask for; you need to have it to them last week!!!!
Seriously give them what they want ASAP no matter how hard it is to get or how ridiculous it is. Don't take longer then 24 hours to get them something (I tried to get anything they needed within the hour!) Take days of work, leave early, if they want to meet with you, drop what your doing and do it ASAP!! Don't give them a reason to delay. I find that they are much more responsive if they see you are hustling and taking the process seriously. So get everything they ask for before they ask for it!!

-Be persistent
Stay on top of the person handling your file!! Don't bug them, but check in periodically. There have been times when they straight up forgot to ask me for something and it wasn't until I emailed them that they remembered. Be respectful of their time, but measured persistence is the key

-If you get Denied APPEAL APPEAL APPEAL APPEAL
I actually got denied based on a mistake. I appealed and fought it all the way up the HDC. They eventually re opened my file and I got the apartment. If you feel something was miscalculated or a mistake was made, know your rights!!! Keep appealing until you get the final word from HDC. Just make sure your in the right. Don't waste your time if your lying, they will find out. Which brings me to my last point...

-Your income is EVERYTHING
At the end of the day they want to fill the apartments ASAP, and that can only happen if you get approved by the city. The city will not approve you if you don't meet the income requirements. Keep in mind they do count overtime and bonuses!!! You may want to alter you work hours in advance (way in advance if possible) if you are targeting one of these buildings. Crazy as this sounds; it's worth it if you get in.

-Don't obsess over it after you enter
This is more I mportant than you think. Don't check housing connect everyday looking for your lottery number, don't wonder why they are not calling, don't freak out. EVERY SINGLE LOTTERY I GOT PICKED FOR WASN'T EVEN ON MY MIND WHEN I FINALLY GOT PICKED. It wasn't until I got a letter in the mail or email when I realized "oh yeah, I didn't enter this thing, didn't I? Cool". Move on with your life after you enter and expect not to be called. The lottery process takes a long time and chances are you will never hear from them. If you are picked, they will let you know. So just move on with your life, and hope for the best. It will do wonders for your mental health.

In addition to these tips i want to give everyone an overview on why Igor picked for so many lotteries. Again this is just one man's opinion and nothing more.

-I enterened a lottery as soon as it was posted
I had every development I was interested set up so I got noticed as soon as it was open on housing connect. I would stop wantecer I was doing and enter right away if I was qualified

-I NEVER entered a lottery I knew it want qualified for
I only enter a lottery if I liked the place and if I fit the income requirements. Again, who knows if that helps, but that's what I did

-I have a very stable job
I've been at my job for almost 10 years. It's supposed to random, but that's just an observation about myself. I don't know if they take that into consideration when decided what selected applications to go with or not.

I hope this info helps. The process is a nightmare, but it's awesome if you make it in.

Good luck!

Your approach of consistency, persistency, informing yourself and doing what it takes - it applies to all other areas of life too. Its the approach most likely to get the best results. And, congratulations.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:50 PM
e_D

86 posts, read 81,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Does anyone know, in the HPD Marketing Guidelines, does it say that people already living in affordable housing must be passed over? If I get a chance later, I'll read through them again. But I don't recall ever seeing anything like that.

Here's the link in case anyone wants to do some digging.

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...guidelines.pdf

And here are the newly revised financial guidelines:

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...n-Criteria.pdf
Really helpful. Surprised I haven't come across these before. Thanks man.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:20 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
I definitely recommend any affordable apartment, but think twice if it is only "affordable."

Old 01-04-2017, 05:32 PM

954 posts, read 938,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Your approach of consistency, persistency, informing yourself and doing what it takes - it applies to all other areas of life too. Its the approach most likely to get the best results. And, congratulations.
Hey bg, that really means a lot to me I do try to pride myself on those things in as many aspects of my life as possible.

Thank you so much for the kind words.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 989 times
I have an interview on June 1. Last year my wife made 13k and I made 15k. She only worked 6 month last year. For one full year she will make 27k. Would they calculated our income based on tax file from last year or based on her current paycheck? If they do current pay check, combine household income would be out of range. Someone please help... thank you.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:39 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,822 times
I wonder how much municipal worker preference factors into things. It's hard to move to a community board if you're on restricted income, though.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:40 PM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba2012 View Post
I have an interview on June 1. Last year my wife made 13k and I made 15k. She only worked 6 month last year. For one full year she will make 27k. Would they calculated our income based on tax file from last year or based on her current paycheck? If they do current pay check, combine household income would be out of range. Someone please help... thank you.
They will take the six most recent pay stubs from each of you and project an annual income based on that. If that's above the range, you're done. But go to the interview with all the documents asked for. You never know.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:26 PM

4 posts, read 4,242 times
Default NYC 80/20 participating buildings

Does anyone know if there is a list of all 80/20 participating buildings in Manhattan? There is a better chance of being selected to older buildings that need to replenish their waiting list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: