Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 04:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,427,378 times

Advertisements

Pelham?

549 Second Avenue, Pelham, NY For Sale | Trulia.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 08:07 AM

7 posts, read 9,988 times
Thanks bg7. I will do that.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:18 AM

7 posts, read 9,988 times
Thank you everyone for your responses. You've given me a lot to think about. We already live in NJ and are not looking to move into the city. We like living in the suburbs for a variety of reasons. As for the comment about not everyone needs to go to a great school district to receive a great education, that is true. However, the rating of the school district does impact resale value of the home significantly and since we don't plan on this being our 'forever' home, resale is something we have to consider.

How much would increasing the train ride 1hr & 15 mins change things? Does that open up a lot more options to us?

Old 09-21-2016, 01:54 PM

195 posts, read 296,736 times
OP, if you don't mind a smaller house with a smallish yard, it can be done.
Pelham, Eastchester, Harrison, Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry, Hastings, and Mount Pleasant are all areas that have well rated schools (not top top schools like Rye Brook or Scarsdale, but they are schools that a majority of middle class parents would be happy to send their kids to). If you aren't looking for an acre of property and a 3000 sq foot house, you can find something in any of them for under 600k. It's not going to be the best and brightest house on the block, but they always say it's better to buy the smallest house in the best spot rather than buy the biggest house in the worst spot...
Good luck!

Old 09-21-2016, 02:15 PM

8,671 posts, read 11,060,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

NYC public schools basically stink because the property taxes are low. So you save money on that score but must often pay to send your kids to private school.

NYC public stinks because of all the busing (not in zone) and trying to "diverse". Also its very crowded. A lot of good HS during my NYC days went down the toilet

Old 09-21-2016, 06:37 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,852,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Can be done.

https://www.redfin.com/NY/Chappaqua/.../home/20087730

Note that it's a live listing. May not still be there if you're seeing this a while after I posted it. The summary: 3 bed, 2 bath, 1390 sqft in Chappaqua, $525,000 ask.
At 1390 sqft this house is too small to make the move up to chappaqua worthwhile.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:04 PM

5 posts, read 13,588 times
I am not sure why no one has mentioned it yet, but what about Croton, Cortlandt Manor or Mohegan Lake? The latter is the furthest from a train station (15-20 minutes) but the train is less than an hour. You can definitely find something in your budget. I am in the process of buying my first home in this area and my budget was a lot less than yours. Croton is most expensive but I have friends who bought a 3BR in the village over the summer and spent around the mid $500s.

It's been a while since your original post so I wonder if you have found something yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City