Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 12:56 PM

158 posts, read 139,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Schools in White Plains are not terrible but not great either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 02:12 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Start from here: NeighborhoodX - Suburbs vs. city

Then look into RS sales and other local information such as school districts.

On average you likely will find anything with an hour or less commute into the City via rail & has a good to excellent school district is going to be costly. More so as more and more families are being pushed out or otherwise leaving NYC for the burbs and pushing up prices.

You can also post your query over on the New Jersey forum to get information about various locations across the Hudson River. However when it comes to home prices in that state it pays to research. In some instances prices are low because the taxes are killing.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:27 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
The comparison for taxes you need to calculate is (NYC Income tax + NYC Property Tax) vs (Suburb Property Tax).

If you earn decent money in the NYC and buy a normal house (not a McMansion or limit of your budget) you might find there's not much difference. On the other hand, if you buy the most house you can possibly buy in the suburbs, expect the burbs to be expensive for the taxes.

One thing to bear in mind - you see where your suburban taxes go - into the schools. They don't disappear into the pit of tartarus like they seem to do in the city.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The comparison for taxes you need to calculate is (NYC Income tax + NYC Property Tax) vs (Suburb Property Tax).

If you earn decent money in the NYC and buy a normal house (not a McMansion or limit of your budget) you might find there's not much difference. On the other hand, if you buy the most house you can possibly buy in the suburbs, expect the burbs to be expensive for the taxes.

One thing to bear in mind - you see where your suburban taxes go - into the schools. They don't disappear into the pit of tartarus like they seem to do in the city.

Everyone who has lived in NYC long enough knows this line backwards and forwards.

NYC public schools basically stink because the property taxes are low. So you save money on that score but must often pay to send your kids to private school.

OTOH in most suburbs with good schools you pay through the nose in property/school taxes, but your kids can attend good to excellent K-12 local public schools.

Whites and others have been fleeing NYC for parts of NJ, LI, and Westchester exactly for these reasons.

This also is now playing out in the calls by some to "desegregate" NYC K-12 public schools by providing economic (read really racial) diversity in local schools by busting up zones and or allowing more movement between based upon race and or economic criteria.

Ground zero for all this ironically atm seems to be the Upper West Side where civil war has been brewing over the City's plan to rezone local public elementary schools.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:09 PM

782 posts, read 527,368 times
Here's a map showing rail commute times from Grand Central or Penn Station:

The New York Times > New York Region > Image > Travel Times on Commuter Rail

If looking to stay within NYC, I know that SD#26 in eastern Queens is highly regarded. This includes neighborhoods like Bayside and Douglaston among others. Houses are probably over your budget but there are plenty of coops.

I think almost all of Nassau County is within an hour train ride. The north shore has the top rated schools but can be very expensive. There are plenty of other good school districts though within your budget. Check out Herricks and New Hyde Park, and inquire on the Long Island forum for others.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:29 PM

786 posts, read 824,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Everyone who has lived in NYC long enough knows this line backwards and forwards.

NYC public schools basically stink because the property taxes are low. So you save money on that score but must often pay to send your kids to private school.

OTOH in most suburbs with good schools you pay through the nose in property/school taxes, but your kids can attend good to excellent K-12 local public schools.

Whites and others have been fleeing NYC for parts of NJ, LI, and Westchester exactly for these reasons.

This also is now playing out in the calls by some to "desegregate" NYC K-12 public schools by providing economic (read really racial) diversity in local schools by busting up zones and or allowing more movement between based upon race and or economic criteria.

Ground zero for all this ironically atm seems to be the Upper West Side where civil war has been brewing over the City's plan to rezone local public elementary schools.
You forgot CT, but yes, spot on.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:54 PM

222 posts, read 714,942 times
Are you leaving the city because you want suburban life or is it just the schools? If it's the schools, let me reassure you a bit. If you are in District 2, there are some very good elementary schools in Manhattan: PS 6, PS 3 and PS 41 come to mind. My brother's kids were good students and went to Salk Middle School and then got accepted into a very selective high school (not Stuyvesant or Hunter.) My brother and his wife are what you might call college educated and upper middle class. They are very satisfied with the education that their children have gotten in the city. They are also pleased as punch that they didn't spend thousands on private school tuition. It's expensive enough to send two kids to college.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:14 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galee View Post
Are you leaving the city because you want suburban life or is it just the schools? If it's the schools, let me reassure you a bit. If you are in District 2, there are some very good elementary schools in Manhattan: PS 6, PS 3 and PS 41 come to mind. My brother's kids were good students and went to Salk Middle School and then got accepted into a very selective high school (not Stuyvesant or Hunter.) My brother and his wife are what you might call college educated and upper middle class. They are very satisfied with the education that their children have gotten in the city. They are also pleased as punch that they didn't spend thousands on private school tuition. It's expensive enough to send two kids to college.
That's a big IF for you to be zoned for District 2. Most of NYC schools are crap...zero extracurricular activities, very poor student body culture and overcrowded.. a recipe for a lackluster education. I'm a product of NYC schools and didn't turn out too bad, but one has to be very motivated innately (support and encouragement from parents as well as having classmates and friends who want to do great in school) to overcome these challenges.

I would move to LI for their schools for my kids when I can afford to. Yes, LI property taxes are high but I see it as paying for a better education. It would probably cost me more for NYC income taxes+private school if I stayed in NYC as someone above mentioned.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galee View Post
Key word there is "accepted", who wants to go through that process just to get your kid into a good local middle and high school? Then comes the obvious question; what if the child does not get in, then what?

Persons are moving to the suburbs for many reasons but good schools and the simple process of enrolling their children is top of that list. It is pretty simple really: you live in the area, your kids are enrolled. No wait lists, no exams, no camping out overnight on vermin filled streets.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:07 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
$600k is too low for 1hr train + car ride to GCT. If you extend the desired commute to 1hr 15min, you could find something good within your budget in yorktown heights, katonah (in the village but relatively small house), Cortlandt manor, harrison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City