Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 02:42 PM

26 posts, read 37,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
Since you've had suggestions all over the area, I'll add a different one--Litchfield County, Connecticut, in the northwestern part of the state. It has lots of nice small towns and is like New Hope in that there are many second-home owners and leaf-peepers. Also it's more hilly than mountainous and maybe a little more than 2 hours away from NYC. But worth a look. Good luck!
Adorable -- thanks Robert!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Old artist community: Cragsmoor, NY. It was the hub of the Hudson River School.
I can't find any pictures of the town itself. It sounds interesting but I can't get a sense of what it looks like from the pictures I'm seeing. If you find any links of any photos that represent the town, I'd love t see them Kefir King!

Old 10-02-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Amenia, New York and environs. Or if you want hillier, Hillsdale, New York or Great Barrington, Massachusetts.

Great Barrington is beautiful! Aetheticallly exactly what I'm looking for... plus its big enough without being 2 big. But its definitely a good 3 hour drive. But I still may consider it as an option, its gorgeous!

Old 10-02-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I would recommend somewhere off the taconic parkway so its convenient from nyc, like ancram or gallatin, but sometimes these can take more than 2 hours. They are also close to the amtrak station in Hudson
Thank you! Ancram and Gallatin are very pretty but perhaps a bit too teeny. So fun seeing all of these quaint little towns!!

Old 10-02-2016, 03:53 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopepope View Post
I can't find any pictures of the town itself. It sounds interesting but I can't get a sense of what it looks like from the pictures I'm seeing. If you find any links of any photos that represent the town, I'd love t see them Kefir King!
Cragsmoor isn't a town. It's a "hamlet" (population about 500 - mostly old people). Here are some pictures:

https://www.google.com/search?q=crag...sLBR4Q_AUICCgD

Robyn

Old 10-02-2016, 04:26 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Take a look at Brattleboro, Vermont. It's a bit more than 2 hours from NYC but you can take the train in. It's an artsy town with all that goes with it including a co-op market and 4 or 5 vegan/vegetarian cafes. You may also want to have a look at Ithaca, NY, an ivy league university town with a lot going on. The Moosewood Cafe in Ithaca is a famous vegetarian/vegan restaurant.

Brattleboro Vegetarian Food and Vegetarian Restaurants | InnBrattleboro

Ithaca, NY at Night - SkyscraperPage Forum

Moosewood Restaurant | Moosewood Restaurant & Recipes | Ithaca, NY

Old 10-02-2016, 04:34 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Ithaca is pretty much a 4 hour drive to Manhattan. Not within the OP's parameters. Robyn

Old 10-02-2016, 04:42 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
With no traffic which mean wee hours of the morning we could make our house in the pocono's in 2 hours. With traffic we have had 3 hour trips . That was more than i wanted to deal with. After a while just doing that drive got to you

Old 10-05-2016, 10:37 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Great Barrington is beautiful! Aetheticallly exactly what I'm looking for... plus its big enough without being 2 big. But its definitely a good 3 hour drive. But I still may consider it as an option, its gorgeous!
It should be about a two hour drive from White Plains. From where are you driving?

Old 10-06-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I think this is definitely my favorite of the towns I have looked at. on this thread.

I also love Beacon, NY.

Some very great choices and I'm greatful for the feedback and info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City