Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 02:35 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Really?
I really can't think of anything about a well-fried rat that is harmful to the human body (at least not any more harmful than any fried food item typically is). And as someone else mentioned, rat is a staple in many cultures. So, while gross to many Americans, that's all this episode seems to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 02:40 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I really can't think of anything about a well-fried rat that is harmful to the human body (at least not any more harmful than any fried food item typically is). And as someone else mentioned, rat is a staple in many cultures. So, while gross to many Americans, that's all this episode seems to be.
Mainly in Asia (NOT in many cultures), along with just about everything else.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Mainly in Asia (NOT in many cultures), along with just about everything else.
Quote:
Rats are eaten regularly in Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, parts of the Philippines and Indonesia, Thailand, Ghana, China and Vietnam, says Grant Singleton, from the International Rice Research Institute in the Philippines.
BBC - Future - The countries where rats are on the menu

Rats are also eaten in Togo: Eating Rats in Togo, West Africa | Washington City Paper

And in other regions of Africa where "bush meat" is a staple/necessary for survival.

Even if rats as food was only limited to Asia, how would that take away from my statement? Even from those countries listed above (there are others, though, as well), the people who eat rat are not limited to one particular region/culture (these countries don't just have one national culture, but several due to different ethnic groups, etc., making up the countries), but many. Of course, there are many cultures that don't consume rat, but this still doesn't take away from what I wrote.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
BBC - Future - The countries where rats are on the menu

Rats are also eaten in Togo: Eating Rats in Togo, West Africa | Washington City Paper

And in other regions of Africa where "bush meat" is a staple/necessary for survival.

Even if rats as food was only limited to Asia, how would that take away from my statement? Even from those countries listed above (there are others, though, as well), the people who eat rat are not limited to one particular region/culture (these countries don't just have one national culture, but several due to different ethnic groups, etc., making up the countries), but many. Of course, there are many cultures that don't consume rat, but this still doesn't take away from what I wrote.
It's comical that you're trying to make it seem as if eating rats is somehow normal. It's disgusting, and those countries only eat rats because they're dirt poor and don't have a choice. Stop kidding yourself about how "normal" it is to eat rats with diseases, etc.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
It's comical that you're trying to make it seem as if eating rats is somehow normal. It's disgusting, and those countries only eat rats because they're dirt poor and don't have a choice. Stop kidding yourself about how "normal" it is to eat rats with diseases, etc.
What's comical is that you've yet to disprove anything that I've written and keep moving the goal post. It is "normal" for those who eat rat. What's disgusting to you and me isn't "disgusting" to others. Hell, many people in this country eat certain foods because they are "dirt poor," but that doesn't make such foods any less "normal" for those people. This isn't difficult to understand. Sure, rats can carry diseases, but so can chickens, cattle, etc.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
It is "normal" for those who eat rat. What's disgusting to you and me isn't "disgusting" to others. This isn't difficult to understand.
Oh of course it is. They eat EVERYTHING out of desperation. Of course they find it normal, but stating that just because something is cooked or fried means it is fine to consume seems rather ignorant.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Oh of course it is. They eat EVERYTHING out of desperation. Of course they find it normal, but stating that just because something is cooked or fried means it is fine to consume seems rather ignorant.
But what makes it dangerous or "not fine" to consume? Just because something is "gross" to you doesn't make it dangerous to eat. Those cultures eating rat, particularly among many in Asia, seem to be doing just fine. Of course, frying/cooking at high temperatures will kill many bacteria, etc., found on certain food items, which is why I brought up my point.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
But what makes it dangerous or "not fine" to consume? Just because something is "gross" to you doesn't make it dangerous to eat. Those cultures eating rat, particularly among many in Asia, seem to be doing just fine. Of course, frying/cooking at high temperatures will kill many bacteria, etc., found on certain food items, which is why I brought up my point.
Why don't you ask the numerous people that become ill from eating foods that are supposed to be "just fine" because they are cooked.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Why don't you ask the numerous people that become ill from eating foods that are supposed to be "just fine" because they are cooked.
Sure, and its happened with foods that you're probably call just "fine" and not "disgusting," including chicken, beef, fish, etc. Hell, it even happens to veggies that aren't cooked properly. Your point is? That doesn't make any of those items any more or less safe than rat, especially when properly cooked. Again, just because something is "disgusting" to you doesn't make it dangerous.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:25 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
In Harlem it causes people to vomit diarrhea in the emergency room and to become a lawyer magnet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City