Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 06:59 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I guess I was thinking, for instance, if you were buying cookies to bring to the office, if people would buy them at their regular cheaper market and bring them into work (which is what I'd do) or buy them at a D.R. near work at lunch.
I'd do the latter probably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 01:13 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
I don't really differentiate between the Duane Reades, CVSes, and Rite-Aids. I just go to whichever is most convenient. I might cringe a bit at the prices, but they have all types of products and there's always at least one of them really close to me and open 24 hours. My local supermarkets have never been great either (pricey, located further away, close by 9 or 10pm) and I don't always have the time or desire to wait until my next shopping trip outside of the neighborhood to go to Fairway, Target, Home Depot, wherever.
I also don't see any real difference between the prices at WalGreens/Duane Reades and CVS. Rite Aid is in the process of being bought by WalGreens.

Basically WalGreens and CVS do pretty well because they are convenience stores. I often by my detergent for laundry, soap, toilet paper and other household consumables there. Food, if I see something on sale, but I don't seriously grocery store shop there. The food choices there are not meant to compete with a full service grocery store.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You are correct, food (even organic food) is altered to some degree. I'm well aware of that, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to buy food with all sorts of crazy things in them and actually believe that we should be eating them because you know the multinational companies are oh so trustworthy.
Organic compounds are simply carbon containing compounds. In a strictly chemical sense, gasoline is an organic compound (derived from petroleum).

As for fertilizers, inorganic fertilizers are made from various salts, particularly nitrates, phosophates, potassium salts, among other compounds from other elements. Organic fertilizers tend to be made from living things or their waste products. NYC sells it's sewage sludge as fertilizer. Slaughter houses sell dried blood, crushed bone, ground up leather, feathers, hair, etc as fertilizers. Plus discarded food is often composted and sold as fertilizers.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:12 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I can only speak for myself, but when I have eaten GMO foods, I've either become sick or have noticed that I break out or gain weight, which doesn't happen when I eat organic or GMO free food. I don't listen to what studies say. I listen to how my body reacts. I don't believe humans were made to consume food that is chemically alternated (in fact significantly). If eating large amounts of genetically altered food is perfectly fine, then what do you attribute the obesity epidemic in this country to? Places like Duane Reade charge outrageous prices for mainly unhealthy food even though they market it as being "healthy". Loaded with preservatives, which they make handsome profits from.
It is several factors one definitely being chemically altered or heavily processed food but I think more than anything the biggest factor is education. Many Americans are poorly educated on nutrition. Just take a look around and observe the average American's eating habits.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It is several factors one definitely being chemically altered or heavily processed food but I think more than anything the biggest factor is education. Many Americans are poorly educated on nutrition. Just take a look around and observe the average American's eating habits.
That has less to do with nutrition and more to do with LACK of PHYSICAL EXERCISE.

There are plenty of skinny and physically active people, for those who go to the gym or make time to say play basketball, run track, or otherwise keep physically active. But a lot of people just wrong long hours, come up and park in front of the TV or their computers.

Keep in mind in much of the country people drive everywhere, so that's basically NO PHYSICAL ACTIVITY (driving doesn't count).

Old 09-27-2016, 02:28 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Exercise is a small component of healthy weight. By far and away it's too much food that makes people fat, specifically lack of portion control and too much sugar and processed carbs. Exercise can only get you so far.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:23 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Default Duane Reade Is Good For Some Things

I think I perhaps mentioned that my husband and I were in Manhattan - on vacation - on 9/11. We ran out of underwear (we were supposed to leave on 9/11). And bought some at Duane Reade. As did many other people who were stranded in Manhattan. Also - Duane Reade had a surfeit of beach shoes then - left over from the summer. It sold out every single pair to the women who had to walk from downtown to uptown and over the Queensborough/59th Street Bridge to get to functioning public transportation (who can walk that many miles in heels???). Duane Reade is a convenience store - and it was the ultimate convenience store on 9/11. I will always think of it fondly (perhaps because I don't have to deal with it every day). Robyn

Old 09-27-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Exercise is a small component of healthy weight. By far and away it's too much food that makes people fat, specifically lack of portion control and too much sugar and processed carbs. Exercise can only get you so far.
Too much food because there is too little physical activity. Exercise can get you pretty far, but you'd have to do some sort of exercise DAILY. At least an hour per day.

It's actually unnatural for our bodies to sit all day, and that's what a huge portion of the population does all day. Just walking would help, but more extensive exercises are needed.

Also instead of exercising, the things people use for stress relief are most often either eating and/or drinking, which had calories.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:24 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,890 times
Hell naw

Old 09-29-2016, 01:11 AM

478 posts, read 773,734 times
Is it true, as one poster mentioned, that Rite Aid is being taken over by Walgreens?
Oh, I guess then that Rite Aid will become another boring perfumery shop like DR. Looking good, feeling good, etc.
Buy food in a DR? Heck no!
I gave up on DR years ago. I was looking for a dish brush for my kitchen sink. The DR's I went into didn't have one. No dish brush? Why even bother walking into such a place ever again?
Okay: I have one exception, just one. If I'm dying for some cold water, yes, I'll go into a DR, or CVS, or what have you, and pick up a cheap bottle of no-name water. But ONLY if there isn't a friendly bodega nearby. Cause a dollar gets me a cold bottle at a bodega. At DR it'll be like $1.83, for the cheapest.
Duane Reade was once unique to NYC. Ahh, memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City