Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 05:42 AM

294 posts, read 263,270 times

Advertisements

More and more South Asians are moving into Saint Albans and surrounding areas. My wife and I are currently selling the house in SOP. We have a buyer and he is Muslim. Not one African American or Caribbean black family came to look at our place. Everyone that came to look at the house was either Indian or from the Middle East. We are purchasing a house in Queens Village. Yeah, QV is off the radar of the hip crowd, but I like it that way. Everyone takes care of their properties,No litter, and no one's hanging out looking for trouble. I'm looking forward to moving there. I didn't see any White people in the neighborhood, so I'll probably stick out like a sore thumb, hehe. That's not an issue for me, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 06:01 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
It will eventually become diverse too.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:43 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Str8 View Post
More and more South Asians are moving into Saint Albans and surrounding areas. My wife and I are currently selling the house in SOP. We have a buyer and he is Muslim. Not one African American or Caribbean black family came to look at our place. Everyone that came to look at the house was either Indian or from the Middle East. We are purchasing a house in Queens Village. Yeah, QV is off the radar of the hip crowd, but I like it that way. Everyone takes care of their properties,No litter, and no one's hanging out looking for trouble. I'm looking forward to moving there. I didn't see any White people in the neighborhood, so I'll probably stick out like a sore thumb, hehe. That's not an issue for me, though.

South Ozone Park and Ozone Park are already diverse.

Queens Village is diverse too, while predominately black it has sizeable white, Hispanic, and Asian minorities according to the censusm

Old 09-26-2016, 10:21 AM

108 posts, read 120,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Do you predict any changes in the Demographics of Southeast Queens over the years? Or changes in general for that matter?

For the purpose of this discussion, I'm not including Jamaica proper which is very diverse.

whats the border area for southeast queens.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:37 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowyok View Post
whats the border area for southeast queens.
I consider it the area east of Van Wyck and south of Hillside Ave, but some might go as far as the Grand Central Pkwy.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:57 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
This answer pertains to areas such as Laurelton, Rosedale, Springfield Gardens, St Albans, Cambria Heights and Rosedale.
There will not be a drastic noticeable change and an influx of the traditional 'Gentrifiers' as have been observed in areas in Brooklyn and trendy areas in Queens such as Jackson Heights and Astoria. The main reason is that these areas that saw a drastic/quick change in demographics had multiple building and space to build these buildings to accommodate people who were looking for more affordable rent. Most of these new residents were not home buyers. A large number of homes in South East Jamaica are owner occupied. Many of the residents have been happily residing in these areas for 20 to 50 years and more!

Many people look to sell, downsize and move south when they retire and become empty nesters. From my limited experience (which does not apply to all households but a very large number) a lot of the retired home owners in these areas do not sell. They stay put. On my block there are 5 retires with houses paid off. Three have been living here for over 30 years. 2 of the houses were handed down from parents. They have no intentions of selling and moving south. When there are limited turn overs you don't have new residents (demographic ) moving in.
One block over a retiree owns two houses on the block. One she allows this wonderful elderly, retired handyman to live in for free providing that he does the maintenance such as yard work, painting etc. The other she lives in. She is also not going anywhere.

When I lived in Laurelton it was the same experience. My neighbors to the left, right and immediately in front of me were all long time (over 30 years) residents who were retired and had no intentions of selling. The couple we sold our house to were retired. Their daughter moved in with them and as an only child she will inherit the house. There were a lot of retiree owner occupied homes. Many of these homes will be passed down to the children.

My aunts and uncles who live in these areas all own their homes. The homes will be given to their kids eventually.

I have no intentions of selling our house in the foreseeable future.

So based on this it is harder for these neighborhood to have a quick demographic changes. Quick and drastic demographic changes have been associated with an influx of renters or a turn over of the neighborhood through home sales.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:59 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
p.s . My block can however be described as diverse. I have a Caucasian, two Hispanic, one Chinese, one Asian (buy way of Guyana) and blacks. But except for myself house and one house purchased by the Hispanic person everyone has been living here for over 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City