U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 11:39 AM

13,748 posts, read 29,156,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
#thetimeofthebronxhascome

I am the truffle pig of the NYC real estate business: every neighborhood I've lived in here in 30 years was cheap when I moved there and boomed within a decade. Artists and hipsters follow ME. I just bought in the north Bronx, so you can take that to the bank.
Northeast?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 06:43 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,405,469 times
Doubt it. So far this year it is the highest crime rate hood in the Bronx.

Its the port morris area that has seen some gentrification. But it looks the same to me in mott haven proper.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:53 PM

19,332 posts, read 13,248,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

Its the port morris area that has seen some gentrification. But it looks the same to me in mott haven proper.
Being the highest crime rate hood does not stop gentrification. The cops do their sweeps and arrest people, meanwhile landlords raise prices and evict people. As time goes by you have demographics change, and this sometimes happens over a comparatively short period of time.

UWS was once a high crime neighborhood. Not any more.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:24 PM

3,206 posts, read 1,040,883 times
Some people sure love promoting gentrification around here... It is clear that some posters get off on seeing people priced out and being speculation whores. I find the whole thing disgusting.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:12 PM

13,169 posts, read 15,547,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

Currently, Port Morris is a dump. It's going to take years for that place to see some gentrification. However lots of warehouses are being built and thr area is a far walk from subway system. Port Morris sits next to a sanitation building which stinks real bad. Ewwweeeeee. Right now the biggest talk is the 40th precinct which moving to east 149th Street and St Anns Avenue. No more dunkin donuts, extremely salty Dominican food and fatty Chinese food for those cops anymore. Which will save the city lots of money for paying diabetes and high blood pressure medications for cops What will the city do to the old NYPD building across from the infamous Mitchel housing projects? Beats me!

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 09-27-2016 at 10:22 PM..

Old 11-30-2016, 08:24 PM

165 posts, read 49,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Currently, Port Morris is a dump. It's going to take years for that place to see some gentrification. However lots of warehouses are being built and thr area is a far walk from subway system. Port Morris sits next to a sanitation building which stinks real bad. Ewwweeeeee. Right now the biggest talk is the 40th precinct which moving to east 149th Street and St Anns Avenue. No more dunkin donuts, extremely salty Dominican food and fatty Chinese food for those cops anymore. Which will save the city lots of money for paying diabetes and high blood pressure medications for cops What will the city do to the old NYPD building across from the infamous Mitchel housing projects? Beats me!
People have different definitions of the boundaries of Port Morris and Mott Haven. Not sure what you mean by Port Morris being a "dump". It's an industrial area... But gentrification is already happening. Just looking at the portion to the east of the Bruckner Expressway. There is renovation going on all over the residential parts. As to places to go. Well you have the Bronx Brewery, Tirado Distillery, Port Morris Distillery, and as of last week - Gun Hill Tavern (co-owned by Gun Hill Brewery and PM Distillery). There are a few warehouses being converted to office space and "creative workspaces". Silver Cup Studios also just opened a new branch there and is filming tv shows. It's not as hot yet as Mott Haven near the Clocktower - but it's certainly already gentrifying. Just go there in the mornings and see who is leaving to go to work.
Also of note is the Haven Project which will be creating parks and piers at 132nd and 134th street. They will connect to the Randall's Island Connector. That Randall's Island Connector is another sign. All you have to do is see the people who use it. Port Morris is changing.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:33 PM

13 posts, read 5,742 times
Even if it happens, it doesn't happen as quickly as these real estate articles claim. Give it a good 30 years or more before pristine sidewalks and yuppie stores. There's just nothing in the Bronx right now besides rows of residential houses interspersed with fried chicken joints. The only thing appealing is the cheap rents.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:33 AM

6,179 posts, read 2,951,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast890 View Post
Even if it happens, it doesn't happen as quickly as these real estate articles claim. Give it a good 30 years or more before pristine sidewalks and yuppie stores. There's just nothing in the Bronx right now besides rows of residential houses interspersed with fried chicken joints. The only thing appealing is the cheap rents.
The rents aren't even that cheap anymore

Old 12-01-2016, 06:04 AM

13 posts, read 5,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The rents aren't even that cheap anymore
rents and property prices always go up way before the neighborhood does. people see signs of improvement, know what's ahead, and begin to invest or rent. these real estate articles contribute to that. but lack of amenities, disrespectful neighbors, and dirty sidewalks will continue for many many years

Old 12-15-2016, 06:59 PM

165 posts, read 49,292 times
Toast - you are simply wrong... The change is already happening on the ground. It won't take 20 years - unless we have another steep recession or some type of disaster. It didn't take Ft. Green or Red Hook 20 years either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City