Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 05:53 PM

17,877 posts, read 15,735,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Well, Russians in NYC are overwhelmingly Jewish.

During the Cold War, the U.S. govt granted Russian Jews (as opposed to Russian gentiles) automatic refugee status. Automatic, as in Russian Jews were assumed to be persecuted, so they didn't have to prove it.

Anyone with refugee status can immediately immigrate into the U.S., without waiting on line. And they immediately qualify for welfare, food stamps, even Social Security for the elderly (though they never paid into it) just as any citizen would.

Russian Jews (along with Vietnamese and Cubans, and later Nicaraguans) had automatic refugee status during the Cold War, partially as symbolism. Very few could actually emigrate to the U.S.

But when the Cold War ended, and the walls were lifted, Russian Jews flooded the U.S. thanks to their refugee status, though they weren't being persecuted by Communists anymore, and they had the option of going to Israel (which begged them to come) to "escape persecution." But they came to the U.S. and took the welfare.

Newt Gingrich closed the "automatic refugee status" loophole for Russian Jews during the 1995 summer welfare reforms. Henceforth, Russian Jews would be treated equally to other immigrants, not better.

But New Jersey's Senator Lautenberg led (with the backing of Jewish groups) a successful effort to reinstate the automatic refugee status for Russian Jews only a few months later. Few dared oppose the Jewish lobby, though the Cold War rationale for that loophole was over.

I don't know if that loophole still exists for Russian Jews. It's been 21 years.

I do know that whenever I walk through Forest Hills, I hear a lot of Russian, and I see Russian synagogues and Jewish centers -- but no Russian Orthodox Christian churches. So I assume most of the Russians in NYC are Jewish.
If they were being persecuted by communists, then how did they end up becoming most of the Oligarchs after the soviet Union fell? The leadership is largely the same. Even Putin used to be a communist. The jews I am asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Yet if one googles "millionaire welfare fraud", well over 99% of them have names that in no way sound Jewish and probably are not Jewish. NYC (runs pretty close to Los Angeles) is probably the easiest city in the country to commit welfare fraud. So it's not a "Hasid" thing.

Since we've had computers for numerous years and it's pretty easy to verify income, let's put large chunk of the blame on the NYC system which could have put a stop to this years ago but instead chose to let it ride in order to get a higher Felony charge.

Welfare Fraud :: New York City Health Care Fraud Attorney The Law Office of John Buza, PC
I just googled that, and it seems like everything on the first page is about one Iranian "prince" in Florida. I dont think Google will be much help in investing something such as how many rich people who defraud the system are jewish.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:06 PM

How many of these millionaire's have they caught? Will they have to pay everything back with interest? How much of their assets will now be auctioned off if at all?

Old 10-06-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Just to be clear: it's largely haredi, or ultra-Orthodox, Jews who do this kind of thing (and not ALL or even most haredi Jews. Not only hasidic Jews, but also other ultra-Orthodox Jews,or yeshivish Jews).

Please understand that most Jews in America and in NYC are NOT ultra-Orthodox and not even Orthodox at all.
Most Jews are secular, or belong to one of the more liberal branches of Judaism.

I never understood how in some circles in the Orthodox community,public assistance is considered normal (and I especially don't understand how they can defraud the U.S. government in this way. This is clearly not acceptable according to Orthodox Jewish law).

In addition, more ironic is that while secular/liberal Jews tend to vote Democratic, a large percentage of the Orthodox Jews vote Republican (while benefiting from welfare and public assistance that Republican politicians vote to discontinue/reduce!)

Oh, the irony.
Are these hasidic, ultra-orthodox etc, the original jews? Dont even the secular jews at some point in time trace their roots back to those more religious sects?

Old 10-06-2016, 06:46 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,583,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Are these hasidic, ultra-orthodox etc, the original jews? Dont even the secular jews at some point in time trace their roots back to those more religious sects?
First the hasidic, ultra-orthodox etc, that you see today in the post WW2 world are not the same as those of pre-WW2. Today's are more extreme. There were minor differences within the Orthodox prior to WW2. Those Orthodox Jews and Christians both date back to Orthodox roots.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
If they were being persecuted by communists, then how did they end up becoming most of the Oligarchs after the soviet Union fell? The leadership is largely the same. Even Putin used to be a communist. The jews I am asking.
Very rich businessman with a great deal of political influence outside of NYS?? Nearly none are in any country around the world (Including Israel as the current version of the UO are from the US). The way politics work in NYS, is unlike anywhere in the US. NYS/NYC created so many loopholes for entitlements that any group, if they work together, can easily work the system. Any true NYr knows this and anyone in a NYS union knows this (where else in the US does a city bus driver have a base salary of $70k??).

Old 10-06-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I just googled that, and it seems like everything on the first page is about one Iranian "prince" in Florida. I dont think Google will be much help in investing something such as how many rich people who defraud the system are jewish.
No, you googled " Jewish millionaire welfare fraud" which barely makes it passed page 1 and adds up to less than two dozen people. "millionaire welfare fraud" comes back page after page of people and 100's of people that are not Jewish. Very few of the other search make it into search. Your antisemitism is heavily shown each time you post.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
How many of these millionaire's have they caught? Will they have to pay everything back with interest? How much of their assets will now be auctioned off if at all?
Your question, you tell us.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
No, you googled " Jewish millionaire welfare fraud" which barely makes it passed page 1 and adds up to less than two dozen people. "millionaire welfare fraud" comes back page after page of people and 100's of people that are not Jewish. Very few of the other search make it into search. Your antisemitism is heavily shown each time you post.
I typed in like you said, Millionaire welfare fraud.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:15 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,884,359 times
Quote:
I dont think Google will be much help in investing something such as how many rich people who defraud the system are jewish.
That's because news articles rarely identify Jewish criminals as being Jewish. The OP's article doesn't mention the words Jew or Jewish.

Try Googling "Hasidic welfare fraud."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City