Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:15 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times

Advertisements

Seriously....not one, not two, not three, but I have encountered at least a dozen in this hot autumn weather.

How do some ppl alter their dress code in nyc, based on the specific date of the year??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 08:21 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,195 times
While I agree it's a bit soon for down coats, and realize that everyone has their own personal thermostat, saying the weather for the past few days has been hot is a bit much to me. Maybe earlier in the week, it was a bit warm, but the last few days have been downright chilly.

The other day on the train, someone was wearing a down coat standing next to a girl wearing a sundress and sandals. I thought it was a pretty funny juxtaposition.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:25 AM

4,028 posts, read 3,637,829 times
It's probably transplants from warmer climate states. In Florida, they wear jackets when it's 65 degrees out because it's "cold"

Old 09-30-2016, 08:25 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
While I agree it's a bit soon for down coats, and realize that everyone has their own personal thermostat, saying the weather for the past few days has been hot is a bit much to me. Maybe earlier in the week, it was a bit warm, but the last few days have been downright chilly.

The other day on the train, someone was wearing a down coat standing next to a girl wearing a sundress and sandals. I thought it was a pretty funny juxtaposition.
For women it is likely cold, but I think most men LOVE this weather. I won't be wearing a coat until sometime in mid to late October when it is then actually necessary. Given how miserable I am in the summer with the heat and endless humidity, I live for autumn and winter where I can walk and feel comfortable and not be constantly sweaty.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:30 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
It's probably transplants from warmer climate states. In Florida, they wear jackets when it's 65 degrees out because it's "cold"
Not sure if this is a temperature related transplant thing. The same thing happens as soon as it hits 60s in the spring. I always thought it's just people who can't wait to wear their new winter cloths and in the spring its people, mostly women I notice, that can't wait to show off their boobs and azz.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:32 AM

4,028 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Not sure if this is a temperature related transplant thing. The same thing happens as soon as it hits 60s in the spring. I always thought it's just people who can't wait to wear their new winter cloths and in the spring its people, mostly women I notice, that can't wait to show off their boobs and azz.

Oh, the horror!

Old 09-30-2016, 08:36 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
For women it is likely cold, but I think most men LOVE this weather. I won't be wearing a coat until sometime in mid to late October when it is then actually necessary. Given how miserable I am in the summer with the heat and endless humidity, I live for autumn and winter where I can walk and feel comfortable and not be constantly sweaty.
I would avoid making such sex-specific comparisons or comments to avoid trouble with the PC campers.

But to refute your point, a dude sitting next to me this morning wearing a thick leather jack, a scarf and a hat, on top of a pair of glasses.

By the way, he looks asian, which made me ponder whether asian dudes are more cold-blooded...

Old 09-30-2016, 08:42 AM

779 posts, read 1,003,900 times
You should thank those people for being cautious, it's the ones lightly dressed that get sick and then spread it on the public transit system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I was in Florida during the past January blizzard we had here in NY, it was 60 degrees with sun that morning in fort lauderdale. I was in a t-shirt, the residents were in jackets and scarfs, one told me in the elevator, "your probably not from around here"...LOL

Old 09-30-2016, 08:46 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I would avoid making such sex-specific comparisons or comments to avoid trouble with the PC campers.

But to refute your point, a dude sitting next to me this morning wearing a thick leather jack, a scarf and a hat, on top of a pair of glasses.

By the way, he looks asian, which made me ponder whether asian dudes are more cold-blooded...
Well if the PC campers have a problem, I have no problem providing proof. Statistics show that women tend to have lower body temperatures in comparison to men as a result of having to give birth, which means they usually are the ones that are cold, but of course there are exceptions to the rule. I have female co-workers that are ALWAYS hot like myself.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:01 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,009 times
Default Triple Fat Goose

When Triple Fat Goose was in style nobody, I mean nobody would have to resort to wearing three down jackets. Why would you when you have a triple fat goose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City