Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 06:10 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,602,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
No, of course not. Thanks for your kind words. Now, I hope that I can do the darn job, selling something.

A lot of people I'm in the shelter with have disabilities or health problems that make it hard for them to work. One guy I know has some kind of leg injury (the specifics really aren't my business) that is very slow to heal. He wants to work! He doesn't relish idleness any more than I.

Whats making it a little difficult is that there is no hot water or laundry service at the shelter, and the staffers don't seem to know when it will be restored. I get this "no ones in charge" feeling. These people would last about 20 seconds in private business. I will manage but it makes it all that much harder for me to get back in the groove, which is what they say they are trying to help with. But their "help" fails to be helpful. The taxpayer is getting ripped off.
Guliani, weither you love him or hate him, said that many NYC politicians and bureaucracies are part of a "Poverty-Industrial-Complex" Basically, many people are employed, elected, paid handsomly within the NYC welfare system. One has to question why after 50 years of spending ever increasing sums of money on these issues they've only gotten worse. DHS has something like a 2 Billion dollar budget which would work out to over 30k for every man, woman and child in the shelter system. Ever wonder where it all goes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 04:17 PM

738 posts, read 583,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Guliani, weither you love him or hate him, said that many NYC politicians and bureaucracies are part of a "Poverty-Industrial-Complex" Basically, many people are employed, elected, paid handsomly within the NYC welfare system. One has to question why after 50 years of spending ever increasing sums of money on these issues they've only gotten worse. DHS has something like a 2 Billion dollar budget which would work out to over 30k for every man, woman and child in the shelter system. Ever wonder where it all goes?
Often.

This shelter where I'm at, for 55+ aged people, has a huge overabundance of guards. What are they guarding? Frequently, there's three of them hanging in the lobby at 5 AM. Most of my fellow "clients" are handicapped; what are they going to do? beat on someone with their crutch?

Challenge for me is to get through to the first paycheck so I can commute on the subway instead of having to walk. First day of work was today and it went OK. But on top of the work walking, I gotta walk 14 miles round trip and I hope I don't effing collapse.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:06 PM

546 posts, read 761,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
Often.

This shelter where I'm at, for 55+ aged people, has a huge overabundance of guards. What are they guarding? Frequently, there's three of them hanging in the lobby at 5 AM. Most of my fellow "clients" are handicapped; what are they going to do? beat on someone with their crutch?

Challenge for me is to get through to the first paycheck so I can commute on the subway instead of having to walk. First day of work was today and it went OK. But on top of the work walking, I gotta walk 14 miles round trip and I hope I don't effing collapse.
Take a civil service exam.. there are many just need a high school diploma
google "DCAS exams" nyc exams for jobs.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
Take a civil service exam.. there are many just need a high school diploma
google "DCAS exams" nyc exams for jobs.
They're contractors. When I got up this AM, at 5:15 AM, the one on my floor was snoozed out, and both of them in "operations" were snoozed out.

Heaven help those people if they ever had to get a real job.

My boss is a good egg and fronted me a couple of bucks so's I don't have to walk back to Bushwick tonight. Bless her heart.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:38 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,240,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Good point. And perhaps that's why there is no push for girls and young women who cannot support themselves to avoid getting pregnant by some dude who couldn't care less about his child.

Imagine if all these women started just saying NO tonight to these men.

Ten months from now, what would all the welfarecrats who handle these women and newborns be doing? Five years from now there would be kindergarten teachers who would have no kids to teach.

So I agree with your statement 100% about the Poverty-Industrial-Complex. These employees rely on bad outcomes, and need bad outcomes.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:38 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,663,410 times
You know that local government here is so f**ked up that if you were charitable and housed a homeless family for a couple nights they would claim that makes them tenants and you can't evict them and they live there permanently now lol

Old 10-27-2016, 07:56 AM

6 posts, read 4,325 times
Default Petition that goes with this thread.

https://www.change.org/p/stop-city-h...m_medium=email

Old 10-27-2016, 09:43 AM

Well, no work today.

The Bushwick locals seem to have some "quality of life" issues with us homeless. They look to me like a bunch of clueless trust fund "art" hipsters. Entering wedge of gentrification. Lots of their "art" looks like something I'd scour out of the tub with Ajax.

They might look into getting some more trash cans. And the neighborhood is over run with rats, yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City