Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 06:48 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I looked up the address on Google maps and it looks like it is right near a big housing project. That explains the low rent, along with the location (the South Bronx).
That has nothing to do with it. Its an affordable housing building. They go up all over the city. Rent is not determined by location and and if projects are near by
You really don't know anything about the neighborhood.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:52 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidenote View Post
I don't let the projects deter me. They have their way of life and i have mine.
Exactly! I Lived in several apts right by the projects, they do them and I do me.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:42 PM

188 posts, read 178,365 times
hey! i was picked for an interview as well. Has anyone ever been through this process? Also I've read a lot of stories about the income verifications causing problems and disqualifications, does anyone know how they verify income? For example, do they average your pay stubs? Average your last 3 years income? View what you have made this year so far?

With the units as well, it is just my daughter and myself, would we be considered for a one bedroom or two bedroom? Does that depend on income as well?

Good luck to everyone going on an interview and thank you for your help in advance!

Old 10-06-2016, 11:39 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
the morrisania air rights buildings are F@#IN ATROCIOUS. i absolutely DESPISE em. now onto 3160. It's OK. 161 has shown promise, especially with all the new development. transportation options aren't bad. i wouldn't live there though. area is still rather depressing

Old 10-07-2016, 12:42 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
That has nothing to do with it. Its an affordable housing building. They go up all over the city. Rent is not determined by location and and if projects are near by
Exactly, there are huge housing projects in Lower Manhattan and Brownstone Brooklyn!

Old 10-07-2016, 12:44 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
$1208 per month??? I can't imagine it's a decent neighborhood.
I'm surprised you actually think that's cheap, 800 dollar rents were common in The Bronx not too long ago.

It's low for NYC standards for sure, but someone would have to make like 50k per year to afford that. To put things in perspective, the average household income in NYC is around 50k.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:50 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I didn't realize it was affordable housing. I've always paid what the market dictates and never lived in affordable housing, so you're right, I wouldn't know. I do know from having attended Yankees games nearby that the area is certainly not the greatest.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:58 AM

4,774 posts, read 6,571,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yan2 View Post
hey! i was picked for an interview as well. Has anyone ever been through this process? Also I've read a lot of stories about the income verifications causing problems and disqualifications, does anyone know how they verify income? For example, do they average your pay stubs? Average your last 3 years income? View what you have made this year so far?

With the units as well, it is just my daughter and myself, would we be considered for a one bedroom or two bedroom? Does that depend on income as well?

Good luck to everyone going on an interview and thank you for your help in advance!
Hi, Yan! This question comes up a lot. So I am reposting some information originally written by a poster here, Wiivile. It is the clearest explanation of how income is determined. You need to hand in your six most recent paystubs:

They will calculate employment income several different ways and take the highest:

1) They will average the six paystubs and multiply by how many times a year you get paid.

2) They will take the "year to date" on your most recent paystub and project it for a full year.

3) They will look at the income reported on last year's tax returns.

4) They will look at your employment verification letter which is supposed to state your base rate of pay as well as any overtime, bonuses, or raises expected.

Of all of these four, they will take the highest and use it as your annual income. If any of these are over the limit, you will be disqualified.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:08 AM

22 posts, read 86,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I didn't realize it was affordable housing. I've always paid what the market dictates and never lived in affordable housing, so you're right, I wouldn't know. I do know from having attended Yankees games nearby that the area is certainly not the greatest.

Why must you be irrelevant? Just because you attended a few Yankee games does not make you an expert of the immediate area or the South Bx. Next time i have questions about the fundamentals of baseball or the best snacks to try between innings at YANKEE STADIUM, i'll be sure to reach out to you.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:27 PM

188 posts, read 178,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Hi, Yan! This question comes up a lot. So I am reposting some information originally written by a poster here, Wiivile. It is the clearest explanation of how income is determined. You need to hand in your six most recent paystubs:

They will calculate employment income several different ways and take the highest:

1) They will average the six paystubs and multiply by how many times a year you get paid.

2) They will take the "year to date" on your most recent paystub and project it for a full year.

3) They will look at the income reported on last year's tax returns.

4) They will look at your employment verification letter which is supposed to state your base rate of pay as well as any overtime, bonuses, or raises expected.

Of all of these four, they will take the highest and use it as your annual income. If any of these are over the limit, you will be disqualified.
THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH! This was beyond helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery