Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 02:33 PM

12 posts, read 12,522 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of buying a house in the Bronx, and am looking at a few neighborhoods, including Concourse Village around 161st and Morris. The area is really busy with municipal buildings and the stadium, but I'm wondering what it would be like to live there. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 02:53 PM

12,742 posts, read 8,182,317 times
It's the South Bronx with very limited healthy food options. Also dirty. If you want anything decent for food you'll need to go into Manhattan or other parts of the Bronx. Why would you want to live there when there are FAR better options in the Bronx? We are in the area to watch Yankees' games and it is not an area I find appealing. Drab would be the best word for it. I go with friends from time to time. We don't stick around afterwards.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:45 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,190,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaveiaone View Post
I'm thinking of buying a house in the Bronx, and am looking at a few neighborhoods, including Concourse Village around 161st and Morris. The area is really busy with municipal buildings and the stadium, but I'm wondering what it would be like to live there. Any thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It's the South Bronx with very limited healthy food options. Also dirty. If you want anything decent for food you'll need to go into Manhattan or other parts of the Bronx. Why would you want to live there when there are FAR better options in the Bronx? We are in the area to watch Yankees' games and it is not an area I find appealing. Drab would be the best word for it. I go with friends from time to time. We don't stick around afterwards.

Op I wouldn't listen to the above, I actually live there. Not like the person above who just come from time to time for games. Its a very different neighborhood not on game day.
But are you looking to buy a co-op, condo or house? Cause houses are few and far between. It mainly rentals and co ops around here. I would recommend renting an apt around here for a year and see what you think. I don't recommend people ever buy in a neighborhood they have no experience with.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:56 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,949,035 times
Quote:
I do agree with your sentiments about the local area as a local resident. However transplants think differently than native new yorkers. The poster most likely wants to live close to Manhatten for his or her job, needs and wants.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:53 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,397,898 times
Quote:
No healthy food options? Going out to eat in general isn't healthy and as long as there are supermarkets in the area you can buy healthy food to make for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I do agree with your sentiments about the local area as a local resident. However transplants think differently than native new yorkers. The poster most likely wants to live close to Manhatten for his or her job, needs and wants.
I really don't get what you mean, if anything native New Yorkers have a way higher tolerance for "ghettoness" than transplants.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
No healthy food options? Going out to eat in general isn't healthy and as long as there are supermarkets in the area you can buy healthy food to make for yourself.

I really don't get what you mean, if anything native New Yorkers have a way higher tolerance for "ghettoness" than transplants.
Yes. I've been around the area enough to know that the food options are appalling, whether you are going out or not. Mainly grease spoons, with one main type of ethnic food. If you find that healthy then by all means.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Op I wouldn't listen to the above, I actually live there. Not like the person above who just come from time to time for games. Its a very different neighborhood not on game day.
But are you looking to buy a co-op, condo or house? Cause houses are few and far between. It mainly rentals and co ops around here. I would recommend renting an apt around here for a year and see what you think. I don't recommend people ever buy in a neighborhood they have no experience with.
The South Bronx is improving, but let's not kid anybody here. I've been going to Yankees' games before the new stadium was built and the stadium was THE anchor of the neighborhood. Now safety has improved considerably, but it still has a ways to go and the food options are still horrendous. Not just the restaurants/bars, but the supermarkets too. We didn't just form our opinion of the area by running to and from the stadium. We actually get around a bit to see for ourselves. There is one supermarket by the stadium that is pretty bad. Most of the products they sell consists of foods loaded with preservatives and other low end nonsense. Just contributing to the obesity problem down there, which certainly does exist. Now I think there are some parts of the Concourse that are nice and the OP may like a few buildings. The rentals though... I personally wouldn't do it. I agree that purchasing is a risk if you're new to the area, but the few decent buildings in that area along the Concourse look to be co-ops from what I've seen personally.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Yes. I've been around the area enough to know that the food options are appalling, whether you are going out or not. Mainly grease spoons, with one main type of ethnic food. If you find that healthy then by all means.
Going out to eat is not healthy in general, nor is it supposed to be. I think you mean the options for going out are limited which is probably true, but you could simply go to the UES for a greater variety in restaurants.

Also did you really just write off Latin Ameicamn food as "appalling"?

Old 10-07-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Going out to eat is not healthy in general, nor is it supposed to be. I think you mean the options for going out are limited which is probably true, but you could simply go to the UES for a greater variety in restaurants.

Also did you really just write off Latin Ameicamn food as "appalling"?
No, YOU wrote that. I didn't talk solely about going out to eat. I specifically mentioned one of the supermarkets and the limited options they had, and yes it is appalling when just about all of the food places are either bars or diners (don't tie an ethnic group to the establishments because the ones I'm thinking of don't really have one) or a supermarket with nothing organic to speak of. If you think having just bars or diners and a lousy supermarket to choose from is appealing then good for you, but I would be quite depressed in such an environment.

And the UES isn't a good comparison. Lots of options yes, but not much better in terms of quality.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
No, YOU wrote that. I didn't talk solely about going out to eat. I specifically mentioned one of the supermarkets and the limited options they had, and yes it is appalling when just about all of the food places are either bars or diners (don't tie an ethnic group to the establishments because the ones I'm thinking of don't really have one) or a supermarket with nothing organic to speak of. If you think having just bars or diners and a lousy supermarket to choose from is appealing then good for you, but I would be quite depressed in such an environment.
Sorry if I misinterpreted what you said, but you said the local options were appalling then mentioned the existence of only one type of ethnic food which was presumably Latin American since most of the South Bronx is Hispanic majority.

And food doesn't need to be organic to be healthy, even a C-Town has more than enough healthy food options.

While I would like a large option of dining options, I wouldn't mind taking a short train ride when I want something other than the local options.

The UES doesn't have enough "quality"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery