Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 10:39 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times

Advertisements

This thread has no point. Bottled water is for when you're away from the home, otherwise it's filtered tap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 10:43 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
This thread has no point. Bottled water is for when you're away from the home, otherwise it's filtered tap
Speak for yourself.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:47 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
If you can't drink the water from the same pipes you use to cook, bathe and wash your hands, that's just plain lame.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:49 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
If you can't drink the water from the same pipes you use to cook, bathe and wash your hands, that's lame.
the people who won't drink tap aren't cooking with it either

Old 10-14-2016, 10:50 AM

738 posts, read 585,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

From the number of discarded water bottles I find, I must disagree. It's a vast waste of money, plus it generates a ton of solid waste.

I think people have an irrational fear of "stuff" in the water. They should take a look at:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/wsstate15.pdf

That's a detailed report of what's in the drinking water.

To the poster whose water tastes bad from the pipes in the building, you might try a carbon block filter, or an RO unit from Sears. That might fix you up.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
I love NYC water, but the pipes in the house that my apartment is in must be compromised in some way. Water tastes gross out of the tap, so I buy bottled water for drinking. It's fine to cook with, but not to drink.

Perhaps it's the chlorine? TRy a carbon block filter. Not expensive at all.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:06 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
If someone has a problem with residual chlorine, all you need do is put your water in the fridge for a couple hours uncovered. The chlorine will outgas.
I don't think NYC uses much chlorine.

In Jersey City, with every toilet flush you were mentally transported to the chlorinated pool at the YMCA.

I have a long memory and excellent taste and smell. NYC water is definitely very good, but not as good as it once was.

Last edited by Kefir King; 10-15-2016 at 09:26 AM..

Old 10-15-2016, 11:38 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
NYC tap water is better than NJ tap water. Upstate reservoirs are in a more pristine setting than the reservoirs in NJ.

The NJ reservoirs where our water comes from are surrounded by homes and busy roads (there's gas stations across the street from the reservoir in Parsippany that supplies Jersey City for chrissakes!) On top of that, idiot homeowners here like to spray their yards with chemical fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides. Needless to say, surface and underground runoff water from them into the reservoirs can't be good.

Whereas the upstate reservoirs where NYC water comes from are surrounded mostly by protected and undeveloped woodland.

You guys have it better than us when it comes to tap water.

Last edited by antinimby; 10-15-2016 at 11:48 AM..

Old 10-15-2016, 01:34 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
If someone has a problem with residual chlorine, all you need do is put your water in the fridge for a couple hours uncovered. The chlorine will outgas.
I don't think NYC uses much chlorine.

In Jersey City, with every toilet flush you were mentally transported to the chlorinated pool at the YMCA.

I have a long memory and excellent taste and smell. NYC water is definitely very good, but not as good as it once was.
Yes, they use a lot of chlorine because it's not filtered. BTW, motor traffic is permitted in the reservoirs and the residuals are not filtered out. I know how they keep the reservoirs "clean" and it's extremely low-tech and incredibly outdated. However, they do monitor the water very carefully and I think they are pretty ethical about reporting it.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:28 PM

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow you might be in Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City