Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 07:48 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Interesting information, thank you. But you didn't answer my question. Or perhaps I asked/worded it wrong. (My bad.)

When you click on Google Maps' "transit" option all the MTA subways pop up EXCEPT for the Q on Second Avenue. It shows the stations but it doesn't link them together with a yellow line for the Q. Anyone know what's up? Is Google just behind the curve or something?

Works fine for me:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/New+...5479!3e3?hl=en
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Related question: Has changing from the 4/5/6 to the F at 59th st become any easier? Or the E at 51st?

Neither of those changes has ever been easy and they are no easier now.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:56 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Google maps is pretty awful in terms of transit. They don't get the station entrances right, they don't have LIRR/MetroNorth/NJT lines, and they have a bunch of bugs that make the transit lines disappear when searching for other things

Old 01-19-2017, 10:27 AM

Several of the transit functions are a consequence of the magnification chosen. Transit stations can come and go as you zoom in or out.

As for station entrances, I have found the only way to get them right is to take pictures of the individual subway station maps (as displayed in most stations to plan my exits and entrances.) It's a pain in the ass and there's always another one that I need but do not have but my collection is pretty big. You would think the MTA would put them on a website.

[img]Times Square 2_zpseeat3plg.jpg Photo by Slocum | Photobucket[/img]

Last edited by Kefir King; 01-19-2017 at 10:50 AM..

Old 01-19-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Several of the transit functions are a consequence of the magnification chosen. Transit stations can come and go as you zoom in or out.
nope, not true. There are mistakes all over the place

Zoom in real close on the G train Nassau station for example, it shows up mid block. If you click google's own streetview feature, you'll see that there is no entrance there to be seen. The stairs are actually either at the corner of Norman street or Nassau Street

Quote:
As for station entrances, I have found the only way to get them right is to take pictures of the individual subway station maps (as displayed in most stations to plan my exits and entrances.) It's a pain in the ass and there's always another one that I need but do not have but my collection is pretty big. You would think the MTA would put them on a website.
They are on a website:
http://web.mta.info/maps/neighborhood_maps.htm

Old 01-19-2017, 10:52 AM

Thank you, Blake.
You have no idea how much time I put in trying to find that link. (I never thought of using the word "neighborhood."

Hmmm, some gaps, like for example Times Square or Grand Central up to 55th St. (Midtown.)

Last edited by Kefir King; 01-19-2017 at 11:03 AM..

Old 01-19-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Thank you, Blake.
You have no idea how much time I put in trying to find that link. (I never thought of using the word "neighborhood."

Hmmm, some gaps, like for example Times Square or Grand Central up to 55th St. (Midtown.)
No worries, for the longest time those maps were only available in stations on the wall. They were commissioned to a third party design firm (Michael Hertz Associates) and in recent years were made available in PDF format on the MTA website after so many people kept asking for them. They are called "Neighborhood Maps"

Old 01-19-2017, 03:08 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Told you the new SAS is crawling with NYPD, and that they aren't taking any mess: Buskers Plan Rally At Second Avenue Subway Station « CBS New York

Good for them! Hope LE can keep the three SAS stations clean and free of the nonsense that plagues the rest of the system. Am so tired of the beggars, homeless, kids selling suspect candy, persons begging for swipes, and the rest of BS have to deal with on a daily basis just to ride a train.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
No worries, for the longest time those maps were only available in stations on the wall.

My guess is that when I searched for them online, about 3 years ago, the site was not yet up, so that was when I began taking my own snapshots and assembling them into my "Subway Stations" file. Of course, I only have Manhattan and it was hit or miss when I ventured into the "outer" boroughs.

A bit of a pain in the ass because my camera is a bit bulky to drag around everywhere.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:17 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
I finally rode SAS. Got off at 86th St. Extremely close to my destination. Rarely go over that way but the station was so nice. Can only imagine how convenient it is for those who live on UES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City