Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 05:02 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It'll be intense alright, when it's 0 degrees in February or pouring rain

Did you notice how the feature photograph is him making some sort of "crafty" coffee from a mason jar because you gotta keep it real!!
I think there is actually something green in that coffee maker! The green stuff is also all over the counter, which seems odd. Unless I'm just seeing things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 05:12 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think there is actually something green in that coffee maker! The green stuff is also all over the counter, which seems odd. Unless I'm just seeing things.
How do you expect anyone to make a cup of coffee with just coffee grounds? What's wrong with you

Old 10-14-2016, 05:22 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Prime example of how things make NO SENSE in Manhattan Real Estate:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/16/re...t-village.html

This hipster retard who dyes hair for a living has 30K to burn on closing costs alone and then buys an 800K condo on the far East side and is happy he only has to burn $1500/month in maintenance costs (more than 90% of a typical American mortgage)

Seriously, WTF?

Despite the Time's best efforts to spotlight this stuff, that's not normal. This is a global statistical outlier
Probably not the worse compared to people from wealthy families who take advantage of NYC HDFC co-op (a tax-subsidized form of affordable housing intended to make home ownership possible for lower-income New Yorkers).

New Brooklyn Millennial Reveals The Secret To Being 'Adultish': Gothamist

Last edited by NYer23; 10-14-2016 at 05:43 PM..

Old 10-14-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Properly not the worse compared to people from wealthy families who take advantage of NYC HDFC co-op (a tax-subsidized form of affordable housing intended to make home ownership possible for lower-income New Yorkers).

New Brooklyn Millennial Reveals The Secret To Being 'Adultish': Gothamist
Hey thanks for this, I didn't realize there was widespread blowback to the New Times stupidity on this. That's apparently a regular column called "The Hunt" that gets ridiculed on an ongoing basis on the web

Many apparently have conspiracy theories on why they write such ridiculous pieces

Old 10-14-2016, 06:13 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
You all would be surprised just how many people have inheritances/small trust funds.
Of course virtually no one discloses this and pretends as if they have done everything on their own.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
You all would be surprised just how many people have inheritances/small trust funds.
Of course virtually no one discloses this and pretends as if they have done everything on their own.
Imagine the people in Syria and Haiti getting a copy of that article and reading about the struggles of hipsters....

Old 10-14-2016, 07:10 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Quote:
It's quite simple to know what one does for a living, and assess if that makes their lifestyle affordable. As you say, it's a majority under 96th street for those who live alone in a 1 BR+.

You really, really, have to pull in some absurd money to own... heck, even to rent.
There's a ton of jobs in NYC that don't pay 80K+. Yet a ton of Manhattanites who work at them and live comfortably.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:28 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Doubt it, only been in NYC 4 years. He'd have to be the #1 in the USA to make the money it takes to own a Million Dollar apartment.

More likely a trust fund baby and he cashed it all out for this place.
Number one in the USA will be earning you significantly more than what's necessary for that apartment. The real upper end on things like this can be surprisingly high, but remember that there are only a handful of such positions available and there are only a select few major cities where that's possible--NYC is one of those cities.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:10 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
It's quite simple to know what one does for a living, and assess if that makes their lifestyle affordable. As you say, it's a majority under 96th street for those who live alone in a 1 BR+.

You really, really, have to pull in some absurd money to own... heck, even to rent.
There's a ton of jobs in NYC that don't pay 80K+. Yet a ton of Manhattanites who work at them and live comfortably.
I don't think it's quite that simple because there are also plenty of NY'ers who live in rent controlled apartments, apartments that they bought via HDFC, Mitchell Llama, etc., or were purchased before the real estate boom. There are also plenty of people living in apartments via the affordable housing lottery. The NYC real estate market is supremely ****ed up.

I will say that some neighborhoods are predisposed to the trust fund/inheritance type. It's usually neighborhoods with much more private housing stock than apartment buildings (i.e. Park Slope).

Old 10-17-2016, 04:36 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Quote:
I don't think it's quite that simple because there are also plenty of NY'ers who live in rent controlled apartments, apartments that they bought via HDFC, Mitchell Llama, etc., or were purchased before the real estate boom. There are also plenty of people living in apartments via the affordable housing lottery. The NYC real estate market is supremely ****ed up.

I will say that some neighborhoods are predisposed to the trust fund/inheritance type. It's usually neighborhoods with much more private housing stock than apartment buildings (i.e. Park Slope).
Yes, very true- I was relating my experience as most of the New Yorkers I associated with were under the age of 35.

Those entering the city or moving out of their parents places in the last 10 years ultimately have very little access to the above mentioned programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City