U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 09:59 AM

246 posts, read 119,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
New York has to be the most multi-cultural city in the world. Trump signs? Give me a break. Elections typically are usually close to 50/50, though some neighborhoods go heavily one way or the other. Not sure if you are scared by Trump signs or are a racist. Just saying. I think every building in my neighborhood has white, black and hispanic residents. With other many other cultures living in the neighborhood as a whole.
First of all no I don't want to live around hateful trump supporters. I grew up in NYC and have dealt with enough of nasty white people growing up. Unless people want to pretend like there aren't racist in NY. Especially in long island, staten island and some parts of Brooklyn and queens.
After growing up being the only black family in our building and in my school I wouldn't put my kid through that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 10:02 AM

8,652 posts, read 4,096,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky91 View Post
First of all no I don't want to live around hateful trump supporters. I grew up in NYC and have dealt with enough of nasty white people growing up. Unless people want to pretend like there aren't racist in NY. Especially in long island, staten island and some parts of Brooklyn and queens.
After growing up being the only black family in our building and in my school I wouldn't put my kid through that.
Trump supporters are definitely in the minority in NYC

Old 10-16-2016, 10:08 AM

8,652 posts, read 4,096,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
She would still need to pay for private tuition.
I mean, the public schools can't be THAT bad

Old 10-16-2016, 11:22 AM

20,970 posts, read 14,608,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
New York has to be the most multi-cultural city in the world. Trump signs? Give me a break. Elections typically are usually close to 50/50, though some neighborhoods go heavily one way or the other. Not sure if you are scared by Trump signs or are a racist. Just saying. I think every building in my neighborhood has white, black and hispanic residents. With other many other cultures living in the neighborhood as a whole.
Listen to what she said. She did not feel comfortable growing up in a neighborhood where she was the only Black person.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:24 AM

20,970 posts, read 14,608,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky91 View Post
I currently live in Harlem and I hate it. I want to move to the DMV area but that's not possible at the moment because of my husband's job.
I was looking in LI but the taxes are quite high and not everywhere has great school districts. Plus there were too many trump signs for me to feel comfortable.
Is there any suburbs close to NYC that have good schools and is minority friendly? I.E has other middle class black people.
You maybe better of buying in Harlem. Send your kid to one of the area charter schools, some of them have good performance.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:11 PM

9,374 posts, read 7,797,078 times
If I had kids, there's be very few NYC public schools I'd put my kids in. And given the politics and costs of getting in those schools, I'd likely just find a 'burb with schools I'd like an move there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I mean, the public schools can't be THAT bad

Old 10-16-2016, 12:24 PM

49,781 posts, read 71,395,718 times
This thread should help and I even posted census tracts and block groups that would or could fit what you are looking for: Upper Middle class african-american communities in ny

I'll throw out an area to consider, but it may be a matter of transportation for the commute getting in the way, but perhaps look into Central Nyack in the Nyack Union Free SD. A solid/good and diverse school district that has areas that are diverse and are middle class with a sizeable Black population. Nyack is a nice, walkable village with some nightlife as well. Home Page - Nyack Public Schools

Village of Nyack | Official website for the Village of Nyack
Visit Nyack, New York | One Visit Will Capture Your Heart.

South Nyack is another part of that school district that may work for you, as well as parts of the village of Nyack. Blacks in South Nyack, a village that is about 16-17% Black, have the highest median household income of any group in the village, according to 2010-2014 census info($119,286).

More info: Census Tract 013200 in Rockland County, New York
Block groups in that census tract: Census Block Group 013200-3 in Rockland County, New York
Census Block Group 013200-2 in Rockland County, New York

Census Tract 013100 in Rockland County, New York
Block groups in that tract: Census Block Group 013100-1 in Rockland County, New York
Census Block Group 013100-5 in Rockland County, New York

Census Block Group 011102-3 in Rockland County, New York (according to this source, the black median household income in this block group is $147,955 using 2010-2014 cenus info)

Nyack also has its own hospital, by the way: https://www.nyackhospital.org/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-16-2016 at 12:45 PM..

Old 10-16-2016, 12:26 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,296,684 times
No where that votes unanimously 100% down the line for Crooked is going to be a nice place to live. Believe me. I have found that the best places to live, with best amenities and cost of living, are purple states in areas split evenly between Democrats and Republicans. NYC has nice amenities, but horrible schools and a crippling COL, which is probably why you are looking to leave, which is fine, but just don't go around thinking the area where you escaping to has to think exactly the same as you do.

Last edited by ny789987; 10-16-2016 at 12:35 PM..

Old 10-16-2016, 01:05 PM

49,781 posts, read 71,395,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This thread should help and I even posted census tracts and block groups that would or could fit what you are looking for: Upper Middle class african-american communities in ny

I'll throw out an area to consider, but it may be a matter of transportation for the commute getting in the way, but perhaps look into Central Nyack in the Nyack Union Free SD. A solid/good and diverse school district that has areas that are diverse and are middle class with a sizeable Black population. Nyack is a nice, walkable village with some nightlife as well. Home Page - Nyack Public Schools

Village of Nyack | Official website for the Village of Nyack
Visit Nyack, New York | One Visit Will Capture Your Heart.

South Nyack is another part of that school district that may work for you, as well as parts of the village of Nyack. Blacks in South Nyack, a village that is about 16-17% Black, have the highest median household income of any group in the village, according to 2010-2014 census info($119,286).

More info: Census Tract 013200 in Rockland County, New York
Block groups in that census tract: Census Block Group 013200-3 in Rockland County, New York
Census Block Group 013200-2 in Rockland County, New York

Census Tract 013100 in Rockland County, New York
Block groups in that tract: Census Block Group 013100-1 in Rockland County, New York
Census Block Group 013100-5 in Rockland County, New York

Census Block Group 011102-3 in Rockland County, New York (according to this source, the black median household income in this block group is $147,955 using 2010-2014 cenus info)

Nyack also has its own hospital, by the way: https://www.nyackhospital.org/
Some sleepers may be Tuckahoe, parts of Pelham, the southern portion of the Valhalla SD: Census Block Group 010902-2 in Westchester County, New York , the Pocantico Hills SD(can go to either Pleasantville, Briarcliff Manor or Sleepy Hollow for high school), maybe Elmsford, maybe parts of the Haverstraw-Stony Point(aka North Rockland)SD or even look into suburban/small town district in the former Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown metro further north.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:11 PM

246 posts, read 119,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Trump supporters are definitely in the minority in NYC
I was referring to long island. I looked there first and quickly felt uncomfortable in some parts. I have family out there and we visited on a sunday. Went driving around looking for open houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or