U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:26 PM

869 posts, read 505,490 times

Advertisements

I tutored calculus for a while
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 10:38 PM

3,383 posts, read 3,251,507 times
Part time NBA player here...

Old 08-05-2017, 12:12 PM

1,049 posts, read 2,265,283 times
I'm a notary.. In addition to my $2 fee, people buy me lunch all the time!

Old 08-05-2017, 02:19 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,685,643 times
omg thank you for this thread!

I am gathering up all my old video game collectibles and going to attempt to sell them.

It's bizarre to keep them when they could make money... I've been a collector for many years but if I haven't played them in a certain amount of time it's not worth keeping them if I can make money NOW. Also I shudder to think if there was a fire or flood and I lost it all.

I don't have an ebay or amazon online shop so I will just do this via craisglist (which is how I bought all this crap to begin with back in the day).

FREEDOM!

I'm starting with my portables. Sega Nomad, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Turbo-Express, and Nintendo Virtual Boy!

Thanks for the advice in this thread, I might actually eat good this week

Old 08-05-2017, 03:04 PM

23 posts, read 16,365 times
Collect scrap metal.. mostly stainless steel,aluminum, brass and copper and take it to the junk yard

Old 08-05-2017, 04:58 PM

10,970 posts, read 21,315,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryy7 View Post
Collect scrap metal.. mostly stainless steel,aluminum, brass and copper and take it to the junk yard
Depending on where you're collecting it from, this could be illegal. In NYC it's illegal to remove recyclables from the curb, and there can be hefty fines for doing so.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/21/n...rash.html?_r=0

Old 08-05-2017, 06:33 PM

19,560 posts, read 12,812,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryy7 View Post

There are a few older white guys in the UES who do this; one is a guy who wears a bandana. Have seen him far north as 97th street, and south as low 50's.

Then there is a taller guy who breaks apart televisions, air conditioners, refrigerators and other appliances to get at the metal. Him and that GD hammer out there at 1, 2, 3 or whatever hours of the morning/over night whacking away at things. A few summers ago one night the guy was out their making all that noise, someone in the street yelled out of his window for him to knock it off or else the next thing being hit with a hammer would be himself.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:40 PM

19,560 posts, read 12,812,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Depending on where you're collecting it from, this could be illegal. In NYC it's illegal to remove recyclables from the curb, and there can be hefty fines for doing so.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/21/n...rash.html?_r=0
It is illegal to touch/remove recyclables from the curb. But DSNY inspectors (such as they are) are far out gunned. They have to follow and catch persons doing it, and there just aren't enough undercover crews around.

Hot Items for Thieves: Recyclables - The New York Times

https://newyorkgarbage.wordpress.com/recycling-theft/

NYC struggling to reach diversion rates due to scavengers | Waste Dive

All this being said city mainly concentrates efforts on persons using motor vehicles; those Latino-Hispanic persons and others who dig through garbage and or take recycling (such as cans, bottles, etc...) on foot largely are ignored. In fact don't see how or why the city even claims to take bottles/cans recycling as nearly every street and avenue is picked clean.

Thing about those Latinos-Hispanics is that they *DO* drive, but park their vehicle in a central location then fan out. This way it appears they are on foot. Some of them must be doing very well as they are driving late model minivans or other larger vehicles. Most all have NJ or PA plates from what one has seen.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:20 PM

10,970 posts, read 21,315,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It is illegal to touch/remove recyclables from the curb. But DSNY inspectors (such as they are) are far out gunned. They have to follow and catch persons doing it, and there just aren't enough undercover crews around.

Hot Items for Thieves: Recyclables - The New York Times

https://newyorkgarbage.wordpress.com/recycling-theft/

NYC struggling to reach diversion rates due to scavengers | Waste Dive

All this being said city mainly concentrates efforts on persons using motor vehicles; those Latino-Hispanic persons and others who dig through garbage and or take recycling (such as cans, bottles, etc...) on foot largely are ignored. In fact don't see how or why the city even claims to take bottles/cans recycling as nearly every street and avenue is picked clean.

Thing about those Latinos-Hispanics is that they *DO* drive, but park their vehicle in a central location then fan out. This way it appears they are on foot. Some of them must be doing very well as they are driving late model minivans or other larger vehicles. Most all have NJ or PA plates from what one has seen.
I just remember reading about someone who picked up an a/c that had been left at the curb and he got fined something like $2000 for doing so. And yes, he was in a car. That article made a big impression on me!

And since the thread title does indicate the OP is looking for legal suggestions only, I thought I would point out that picking recyclables off the curb is illegal.

The trash pickers I hate seeing most are the ones who have vans and pick up used mattresses. All I can think of is bedbugs and other disgusting things, and hate to think of where those mattresses end up. Even if they are quote unquote refurbished, the practice still disgusts me.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:21 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,685,643 times
omg, i HATE when people rip off the cords of older CRT-tvs! Those old tvs can get them more than when they rip off the cord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or