Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 06:55 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

CUNY and SUNY used to be looked down upon by top private employers in NYC, but not so much anymore. The reason why they are looked down is due to the fact that employers in NYC know how crappy the NYC school system is which affects the outcome of CUNY. However CUNY and SUNY system has some gem schools, and plenty of gem students. CUNY and SUNY will get you a basic office job at a F500. Even Ivy League, top private and advanced degree holders will have to start at the bottom as well, however more favored to be employed over a CUNY or a SUNY grad. This is why some SUNY, and CUNY grads might have to obtain advanced degrees in order to compete with Ivy leaguers and Stanford, Georgetown crowd. At my old job, I knew these guys that all attended Georgetown, and were able to get jobs easily, and another set of guys from Spain who attended Georgetown and became middle managers at Santander.

CUNY degree has worth in NYC. Due to NYC employers being well informed about the general public, CUNY and certain degree SUNY degrees pales in comparison with a degree from an Ivy League, a degree from Stanford, Georgetown, MIT, NYU, John Hopkins, Carnegie Mellon, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Baylor. Going to such schools will give you the gold standard on your resume. CUNY degrees or to a certain degree SUNY will do well outside of NYC. Outside of NYC and outside of elite cities such as DC and SF. That elite college stuff does not matter for certain office positions or lower managerial positions. I know people who attended CUNY and SUNY who found jobs easily outside of NYC area, and I'm not talking about Walmart either. In fact if that position was equal ot that of NYC, it might require one to have a degree from Ivy League school or one most hold an advanced degree!

The thing is this, like DC and SF. NYC is an elite city and it will attract plenty of graduates from elite schools across the country, but also from around the world. NYC becomes increasingly competitive due to the masses moving here after college. Right now as we speak, all of those Ivy leaguers will choose SF, DC, NYC to find work and move too for their future. As for CUNY? CUNY has a long way to go to be like Berkley system which is one of the best public colleges in the country. CUNY was once like Berkley, but CUNY fell from grace in the 1970s.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-09-2018 at 07:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
You have to be an above average student to get in. I believe they also require you to maintain higher than a 3.0 average or they kick you out. Def not a school for low performing students!
CUNY, if one has below a 2.0 for more than a semester, students will be kicked out of the colleges upon a hearing.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:06 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
There are always some bright students in CUNY, even though very few of them exist, but I still give them the benefit of doubt from time to time.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:01 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
There are always some bright students in CUNY, even though very few of them exist, but I still give them the benefit of doubt from time to time.
Completely not true.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:11 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
CUNY and SUNY used to be looked down upon by top private employers in NYC, but not so much anymore. The reason why they are looked down is due to the fact that employers in NYC know how crappy the NYC school system is which affects the outcome of CUNY. However CUNY and SUNY system has some gem schools, and plenty of gem students. CUNY and SUNY will get you a basic office job at a F500. Even Ivy League, top private and advanced degree holders will have to start at the bottom as well, however more favored to be employed over a CUNY or a SUNY grad. This is why some SUNY, and CUNY grads might have to obtain advanced degrees in order to compete with Ivy leaguers and Stanford, Georgetown crowd. At my old job, I knew these guys that all attended Georgetown, and were able to get jobs easily, and another set of guys from Spain who attended Georgetown and became middle managers at Santander.

CUNY degree has worth in NYC. Due to NYC employers being well informed about the general public, CUNY and certain degree SUNY degrees pales in comparison with a degree from an Ivy League, a degree from Stanford, Georgetown, MIT, NYU, John Hopkins, Carnegie Mellon, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Baylor. Going to such schools will give you the gold standard on your resume. CUNY degrees or to a certain degree SUNY will do well outside of NYC. Outside of NYC and outside of elite cities such as DC and SF. That elite college stuff does not matter for certain office positions or lower managerial positions. I know people who attended CUNY and SUNY who found jobs easily outside of NYC area, and I'm not talking about Walmart either. In fact if that position was equal ot that of NYC, it might require one to have a degree from Ivy League school or one most hold an advanced degree!

The thing is this, like DC and SF. NYC is an elite city and it will attract plenty of graduates from elite schools across the country, but also from around the world. NYC becomes increasingly competitive due to the masses moving here after college. Right now as we speak, all of those Ivy leaguers will choose SF, DC, NYC to find work and move too for their future. As for CUNY? CUNY has a long way to go to be like Berkley system which is one of the best public colleges in the country. CUNY was once like Berkley, but CUNY fell from grace in the 1970s.
It's not necessarily true that employers favor Ivy Leagues over SUNY and CUNY for entry level jobs. CUNY and SUNY students are more working class and have few opportunities, and they are more likely to stay on jobs they don't really like.

Ivy Leaguers, on the other hand, can go wherever they want to. Before I went to grad school, I once applied for a basic job. The interview told me to her face she wasn't going to hire me because she thought I just wanted the job for immediate cash and I would probably soon go to grad school. Both were true actually, though I did not tell her this of course.

One can also be overqualified for a job, just as one can be underqualified. Just as underqualified probably won't work, the same is true of overqualified.

Ivy League matters more if you want a career in corporate management, some sort of top researcher, banker, the higher level jobs in government or hospitals, the job medical or legal jobs, education administration, etc.

For basic medical (including MD) it doesn't matter, and the same for basic jobs in social work, education, etc. Now if you want to run a non profit or some sort of welfare agency then an Ivy League or top university masters is a plus.

The startup sector you can have no degree, but if you do go college Ivy League status does help in that world.

The types of students Ivy Leagues attract are different from the ones CUNY or SUNY. Example a person who gets a masters of teaching at CUNY is more likely to want to be a teacher long term. Someone who gets an Ivy League Masters of Teaching likely sees it as a stepping stone to something else.

Part of the problem is the masters programs and professional schools programs at Ivies are very expensive, and you are either paying in cash and/or taking out student loans. These programs get almost no scholarships or grants.

Re: undergraduate. There are people who get 60k a year in grants, but these people are not the majority on campus. For PhD programs, it depends on the department. A number of PhD candidates get teaching or research fellows that cover the cost of tuition and provide a stipend, but this is not true of all PhD candidates. In education PhD candidates have to pay cash or student loans. But these people will get six digit a year jobs running schools or school systems, and also writing textbooks, tests, etc.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:24 AM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
CUNY is massive. The senior colleges have good, individual programs collectively in several fields.

It doesn’t function as well as an Ivy when it comes to connections, but what it can do is reward and develop skill. With the Excelsior program and the prohibitive price of college education (and people’s generally better understanding of student debt these days), CUNY has a good chance of greatly improving its standing in short order.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Completely not true.
Agreed

Old 07-09-2018, 10:40 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,096 times
Efforts need to improve further. I have consulted and worked for several F100s early in my career and I award that fact to my Private University degree. I have not worked with many or come across many CUNY/SUNY grads. 90% of my co-workers come from big name private schools in NY or out of state schools. NY usually doesn't rank the highest nationally when it comes to college unless you're talking Private or "Elite" (St John's, NYU, etc) Name value tends to unfortunately open doors so my mother was right in that regard. I dropped big stacks for this and it looks like it's finally starting to break even now. If I graduated from Queens college I'd probably be working at Marshalls right now cleaning up on Aisle 6.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:29 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Efforts need to improve further. I have consulted and worked for several F100s early in my career and I award that fact to my Private University degree. I have not worked with many or come across many CUNY/SUNY grads. 90% of my co-workers come from big name private schools in NY or out of state schools. NY usually doesn't rank the highest nationally when it comes to college unless you're talking Private or "Elite" (St John's, NYU, etc) Name value tends to unfortunately open doors so my mother was right in that regard. I dropped big stacks for this and it looks like it's finally starting to break even now. If I graduated from Queens college I'd probably be working at Marshalls right now cleaning up on Aisle 6.

Despite the insane tuition costs and so forth, there is nothing "elite" about New York University (NYU). That place for decades has attempted to run with the big dogs such as Columbia/Ivy League schools, with varied successes.

Yes, NYU does have some excellent graduate programs like Stern's, but on balance main attraction of the place is their extensive "urban" Greenwich Village/ Manhattan campus along with worldwide presence. That and thanks to their huge class sizes (the undergraduate/BSN nursing program alone takes in around 200-300 per semester) acceptance rates are rather high.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/nyu-2785

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...l-universities

Old 07-09-2018, 02:46 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
CUNY, if one has below a 2.0 for more than a semester, students will be kicked out of the colleges upon a hearing.

Not so cut and dry:

Academic Dismissal — Hunter College

https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/standards/probation

https://www.bmcc.cuny.edu/academics/...ing%20Policies

Undergraduate Advisement & Orientation - Dismissal

And so it goes....

Keep in mind certain programs have their own academic standing polices (such as nursing) where if a student cannot meet they may be dropped from that school, but still remain in said college.

Open admissions was the undoing of the City University of New York. While some of that has been reversed beginning with changes by former chancellor Matthew Goldstein, much more work needs to be done.

Prior to open admissions CUNY, in particular the four year colleges like City, Hunter and Baruch were very well respected and alumni included everything from politicians to leaders in industry, commerce and so forth.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/13/e...hancellor.html

Problem with CUNY are what they are, and as already mentioned largely stem from major source of students; graduates of NYC public or private high schools.

The same forces that propelled the hot mess of open admissions are still out there insisting that certain groups have "X" number of seats just because they represent "X" number of the city's population.

New Cuny Chancellor Must Address Low Enrollment of Blacks and Latinos in Four-Year Colleges | Community Service Society of New York

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/23/n...ents-drop.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City