U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-28-2008, 12:51 PM
DAS

2,092 posts, read 3,224,601 times
Moth:
I don't know anyone that was admitted into a graduate program at Oxford or the Sorbonne as I did specifically state graduate and professional programs in the country, I'm writing about THIS country. There are some that are admitted to Harvard's graduate and professional programs. Obviously if someone has the means financially and academically to attend these schools for undergrad they wouldn't consider going to CCNY.

For someone coming from a low to middle income family and they don't want to drown in debt CCNY depending on the major can be a good choice. Especially if the student is hardworking, disciplined, and intelligent. CCNY can get the student in some of the best programs. Most people don't want to see this and want to deny this fact. But it is a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-28-2008, 12:54 PM

7,313 posts, read 12,056,571 times
I think CUNY's graduated a couple of Rhodes Scholar's in recent years. Not bad. There are some privates that have good reps and have never graduated Rhodes scholars.

Unread 02-28-2008, 12:58 PM

7,304 posts, read 9,778,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Moth:
I don't know anyone that was admitted into a graduate program at Oxford or the Sorbonne as I did specifically state graduate and professional programs in the country, I'm writing about THIS country. There are some that are admitted to Harvard's graduate and professional programs. Obviously if someone has the means financially and academically to attend these schools for undergrad they wouldn't consider going to CCNY.

For someone coming from a low to middle income family and they don't want to drown in debt CCNY depending on the major can be a good choice. Especially if the student is hardworking, disciplined, and intelligent. CCNY can get the student in some of the best programs. Most people don't want to see this and want to deny this fact. But it is a fact.
You are entitled to your opinion, but I would prefer drowning in debt at numerous other schools than attending CCNY. Its a horrid place and I bet that viscous Leonard Jeffries is still running around there preaching his vile beliefs subsidized by the good citizens of Gotham.

Compare that to the old days when it actually had real standards and produced Nobel Laurates.

Unread 02-28-2008, 01:47 PM

1,708 posts, read 3,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
You are entitled to your opinion, but I would prefer drowning in debt at numerous other schools than attending CCNY. Its a horrid place and I bet that viscous Leonard Jeffries is still running around there preaching his vile beliefs subsidized by the good citizens of Gotham.

Compare that to the old days when it actually had real standards and produced Nobel Laurates.
Have you ever stepped on CCNY's campus?

Unread 02-28-2008, 01:55 PM

7,304 posts, read 9,778,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Yes I have.

Unread 02-28-2008, 03:24 PM

190 posts, read 608,440 times
Quote:
Look up the admissions requirements, you need a lot more than just a high school diploma.
True. You DO need a pulse, I suppose.

I kid, I kid.

I don't think anyone's arguing the fact that smart kids do attend CUNYs and they do perform well and get into good graduate schools or get good jobs. What most detractors of CUNY so far have stated is that it wouldn't be their first choice for a variety of reasons, but primarily because the academics are not terribly rigorous.

So, yes, there are CCNY graduates who are in top levels of management all across New York City, but they're successful DESPITE CUNY and NOT because of it.

My uncle, by the way, is a prime example. He's a Managing Director at a financial services company in New York City and is a CCNY graduate. He holds an MBA from NYU, but that's another story.

Unread 02-28-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I have as well. I remember that North Academic Center being a complete zoo. Students hanging from stairwells in the atrium. Graffitti in the stairwells. I left thinking, "North 'Academic' Center. If that's not the misnomer of the century, I don't know what is."

Unread 02-28-2008, 04:47 PM
DAS

2,092 posts, read 3,224,601 times
Go to alumniassociationccny.org and see what some of the recent grads in the last 15 years have accomplished along with the other great students of past years.

NAC is a building with classrooms and offices as well as huge student lounge areas and a cafeteria so naturally you would see people hanging out, talking and laughing etc. It is also where all the protest take place. CCNY is known as the protest school of CUNY. I have never seen anyone hanging out on the stairwell, I think you are exaggerating.

I stand by my words, if a student comes from a low to middle income family and doesn't want to drown in debt, or the family can't obtain unsubsidized loans that are required to go with the subsidized ones, to attend some other univerisities, they should look into CUNY.

Many professors hear these false rumors concerning CCNY and other CUNY's before they come to teach there and they are pleasantly surprised at the student work ethics and always comment on this fact. Especially when they teach the same course at Columbia and NYU.

Unread 02-29-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Go to alumniassociationccny.org and see what some of the recent grads in the last 15 years have accomplished along with the other great students of past years.
What I see primarily are graduates of the 1950s and 1960s, prior to the period of Open Admissions and tuition at CUNY. Back then it was considered the "Harvard on the Hill" or the "Poor Man's Harvard" or the "Jewish Harvard." CCNY is far removed from its glory days.

There is a book which you should take some time to read when you get a chance. It's called "City on a Hill: Testing the American Dream at City College" by James Traub. It's an analysis of CCNY, its glory days, and the effects of poor budgetary planning and open admissions on transforming an institution that once was on the level of some of the great institutions in this area to this shell of a college today.

As for my "exaggeration" of kids hanging off the stairway in the atrium of the North Academic Center, it's not. There was a student hanging off a stairway landing in the atrium, just playing around. There was a couple on the steps of another stairway just making out and fondling each other in public. And the thing that really sent me for a loop was one kid giving the other a haircut with an electric razor right there in the lobby!

Unread 02-29-2008, 07:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,755 times
You must have been there during club hours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City