U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:15 AM

175 posts, read 216,773 times

Advertisements

I went to CUny Baruch and I think it was a really good school. Some very good and distinguished professors. It is what you make of it. They use the same textbooks as NYU or Columbia. Its really where you go to Grad school that counts more. Go to CUNY, get really high grades, and then go to a nice grad school if you like. I know a bunch of people who went to NYU and they're not any smarter or talented than people who went to CUNY. It's all the same business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 09:27 AM

266 posts, read 349,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunysucks View Post
Ok this is all bull ****. I transfer from another state, and CUNY IS THE WORSE SCHOOL EVER> Specially y the math department at queensborough community college. There are honors students who cant mass the math 13 and math10 classes.

They lectures are given in one way, and the final exam, wich is prepared by the department show totally different deal. Every student in cuny take those classes at least 2 or 3 times. The highest number of times i have heard of is 9 times.

There are tons of students complaining abou this. One honors student with a GPA of 3.4 staid in the pre-algebra class 4 semester. The last two, she attend the entire year only for the math class.

The math department constantly changes the books and 80% of the professors who teaches this pre-algebra classes are SIMPLE TERRIBLE. The all adjoint professors, with zero skillls on how to teach. Many are there for the pay check.

You go to ratemyprofessor, and there are horrible reviews about queensborough pre-algebra math professors.

The students that do pass those classes are students that already took algebra en hight school, or other country or schools, and they able to manage by themselves to understand the material.

They give you a final exam practice paper, which consist of very easy problems, and processor tells you that is all you need to study. Then when the exam comes in, the problems are very different from the lectures in lass and completely not even similar to the easy ones they put on the practice exam paper..

In general, more than 40% of students who take this class fail. THat is a very high rate for a remedial class that is suppose to be easy. IF the math department didnt set the student for fail by presenting trick or different material. Then it wont be as hard to pass.

And for the honors student I spoke to. She finally is going to graduate after spending 4 years in queensborough community college, and all that due to math. HOpe someone takes noticed and take action to correct this mess. Is affecting students lives.

CUNY is not one school.

Did you not ever consider asking what the over 50% of the passing kids are doing differently?

Old 04-13-2013, 10:39 PM

31 posts, read 33,426 times
Default My thoughts as an alum

I would just like to throw my 2 cents as a graduate.

I would like to say CCNY at possibly all of CUNY is on the mend. The economic downturn has driven the quality to students attending up. Speeding up the changes that were already taken place. Now while you will have your share of slackers, maybe more so than other schools, but there are solid and very competitive students in my classes. Some of my class my class mates have secured placement in competive postions in Phd programs or at major Fortune 50 companies.

I have not paticularly been impressed with students from other schools with larger names and high GPAs and there are many CCNY alum who would be equally if not more capable.

CCNY and CUNY as a whole represents value and pathway to higher education without breaking the bank. Where else can you get an engineering degree without scholarship with a tuition bill that is under 3K. You can make what you want out of your CUNY education. Yes maybe there will be a bit more fodder in your classes but you will learn and you will come to find you are more credible then some of your counter parts where you work.

I think the best part of CUNY is the realism and diversity. Its not as bad as people make it out to be and is getting better. While i think the heights it once had are long gone it will inch its way to respectability.

FYI i am a recent ME graduate now working for a large multinational company.

I went CUNY because it made sense and for undergrad i do not think your school matters too much other than campus recruiting. So unless you have a ticket to MIT, CalTech or Stanford or your fields equivalent your ranking really does not mean much from what I have witnessed.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:20 AM

8,556 posts, read 7,915,903 times
Cuny is alright, it could be better. But the cuny institution and to a lesser extent suny gets a bad rep from the wider from others in academia field for various reasons.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:55 PM

497 posts, read 462,020 times
This is an old post.. but whatever. I have a master's from Hunter College and while the resources that my program had to work with were terrible, they were still able to attract some talented professors and adjuncts to my program. Overall I'd give it a 6.5/10.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:06 AM

402 posts, read 328,663 times
CUNY degree is less than SUNY Degree.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:22 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,817,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
CUNY degree is less than SUNY Degree.
Not necessarily true. Depends on the program.
Both are quite good in certain programs. But this is the case for all schools.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:28 AM

8,056 posts, read 4,002,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Not necessarily true. Depends on the program.
Both are quite good in certain programs. But this is the case for all schools.
It also depends on the CUNY or SUNY you go to. A number of SUNY's don't have broad programs and tend to focus more on things like sports management and education. The SUNY's with a diverse number of programs for grad school are Binghamton, Buffalo, Albany, and Stony Brook. The CUNY's with a diverse number of programs for grad school are Hunter, Queens, Brooklyn, City, Baruch, and Lehman.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 PM

658 posts, read 471,389 times
City schools will always deemed inferior to private schools, but in NY people respect both SUNY and CUNY schools. You just need good grades 3.5+

It's like this really. Recruiters mistakenly believe a city school education is inferior, but you know what, 2+2 = 4 everywhere you go. A lot of recruiters realize this as well.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:55 AM

8,556 posts, read 7,915,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
City schools will always deemed inferior to private schools, but in NY people respect both SUNY and CUNY schools. You just need good grades 3.5+

It's like this really. Recruiters mistakenly believe a city school education is inferior, but you know what, 2+2 = 4 everywhere you go. A lot of recruiters realize this as well.
Much of this is true, also majority of CUNY and to a lesser extent SUNY graduates come from the horrendous public school system that is in NYC which also affects their learning capacity upon entering college. If your a recruiter would you rather hire someone from South Brooklyn with a degree in BA Finance from Baruch or hire someone from Nebraska who has a degree in BA Finance from Penn State. I know of folks who have CUNY degrees and have become gainfully employed in other parts of the country. But here in NYC private firms, corps and companies will laugh at anyone with a CUNY degree on their resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City