Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you actually like living in NYC?
Yes, I absolutely love it here, I would set up roots here 47 45.19%
Its alright, not that bad im content for now,or dont plan on leaving due to personal reasons 24 23.08%
No, i absolutely hate it, Im leaving as soon as possible 33 31.73%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 04:53 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times

Advertisements

it gets worse by the day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 04:57 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
I often start to take it for granted and think I want to move out. Then I visit another part if the country and after a few days can't wait to get back to the city.

NYC has it's ups and downs, but the ups far outweigh the downs.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:06 PM

Well most people who visit NYC and say the exact same thing after a few days, so it's meaningless.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:00 PM

783 posts, read 576,740 times
It's gotten to the point where I hate this city right now. I was born here and it was great when I was growing up and as a teenager. But then, I really had no idea that things cost money. And boy do things in NYC cost money. My goal is to leave as soon as possible, but I can't just pick up and go. I have to plan it so that I don't find myself in a worse place or position. So far I have visited a couple of places. Texas, Utah and others. My criteria for a better place for myself:

1) I'd like someplace warmer on average than NYC, with more space between myself and my neighbors.

2) I'd like to be able to afford an actual house. Not a condo or a co-op. A real house.

3) I'd like to live in a place where I can actually afford to save a decent amount for retirement, yet still have some quality of life while doing so.

4) I hate riding the subway. Too many people, too many delays. Too much money. $2.75 (soon to be $3 for sure) is too much for a single ride. So no cities that make it difficult for people to drive in the city (like NYC does).

5) I'd like to be able to own a car without having to pay exorbitant insurance rates just because I live in NYC or having to contest with annoying cyclists who think they own the road with their stupid little bells and alternate side of the street parking.

That's the initial criteria, but I'll probably add to the list before I leave.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:17 PM

96 posts, read 91,947 times
I was born and raised in NYC almost all my life. I'm 33 now. Like anywhere else, NYC has its flaws. Yes it is dirty. Yes it is noisy. Yes people are rude. Yes people are impatient. Yes it is expensive. Despite its flaws, I would not want to live anywhere else. Although I dislike taking public transportation, it is cheap and will take you to almost any part of NYC rather quickly and runs 24 hours. There are so many things to do in NYC and you do not have to drive everywhere. There are many cuisine options to choose from too.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:37 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
In my opinion, NYC is super expensive, overcrowded, and dirty.

-$1000 for a damn room for rent (in the hood, so imagine the good areas), when you can get whole big house for the same amount in most other states, especially in the south & midwest. I'd imagine nobody likes this.

-Its the most densest and crowded major city in America by far. Blocks and blocks of tall 60 family apartment buildings, not just in the city core (Manhattan) , but as far as Flatbush and the South Bronx, in the hood and in well off areas. No personal space, cramed together like roaches. Tho, some ppl like the overcrowdedness and the density of nightlife and shopping that comes with it.

-It is very dirty even in some good areas, almost no other city can even compare, mountains of garbage on the curb, rats in the train tunnels and on sidewalks, mice and cockroaches inside buildings and houses.

-Public Transportation is unreliable (tho other places got even less reliable transportation, its just in NY you need it cuz the streets so crowded can't even drive). Its also crowded, dirty, and the some of people are rude and weird. Oh yea and did I say its unreliable, the delays on the A train is fu*kin crazy, and I imagine there's other trains that do the same.

-The population is just too big, too diverse, and too transitional, which can be seen as a good thing to alot of people. But for me, that amount of diversity can be very overwhelming, I'm a simple man, I'd rather a Philly (just American Blacks, Puerto Ricans, Italians, Irish) over a Brooklyn (Amer. Blacks, Caribbeans, Ricans, DRs, Mexicans, Italians, Chinese, Indians, Arabs, Polish and a thousand other type of immigrants) any day, too overly diverse for me lol. And its very transitional, ppl come and go too often, no sense of community.

For these reasons, I left the NYC metro area, tho I still have alot of family in the area, and I wonder why they stay. Anyway, I know some of you may feel the similar and some may feel the opposite. How do you feel? Do you like NYC? Or only stay cuz you "have" to?
You sound like someone who should avoid NYC at all costs. We love and accept everyone. Stay where you are. You don't get it, and in turn, NYC will not "get" you.

Also, you really should consider a basic English composition course. It will be of help where ever you chose to live.

ETA - NYC is not "transitional". Many areas have a community cohesiveness that rivals any small town. Most transplants to NYC are leaving a place where they were not accepted for hateful reasons.
The list of permanent and illustrious New Yorkers, who left an oppressive rural area or small town is L..O..N...G.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:39 PM

368 posts, read 454,031 times
Having grown up in Brooklyn, I have a love hate relationship with NYC. I love the memories i shared growing up with family, friends, and neighbors from the late 90s up to about 2012. But I highly dislike the overcrowdedness, its annoying and overwhelming. All in all, its a decent city, theres plenty of better cities and plenty of worse, with lots of shopping, attractions, family, friends, and memories, NYers tend to think just cause NYC has everything a city can have its the best city in the world, ever heard of the saying "too much of one thing is never good for u" well thats New York with its (too high actually) high density and too high cost of living, u overdid it NY. i would love visting but just hate living here lol. As soon as Im done with college, Im moving to the South Jersey interior possibly around Millville/Vineland, still close to NYC but far enough from the headaches, also close to Philly, the Jersey Shore, and Delaware. Also heavily surrounded by farmland and pine barrens. Best part of the country for me, Cumberland county NJ

Old 01-02-2017, 03:10 PM

quote:
We love and accept everyone.

AHHAHAH
aHAHhAhAH
AHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHHAhA

thanks for the FUNNIEST thing I have read this year so far.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:27 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
It's gotten to the point where I hate this city right now. I was born here and it was great when I was growing up and as a teenager. But then, I really had no idea that things cost money. And boy do things in NYC cost money. My goal is to leave as soon as possible, but I can't just pick up and go. I have to plan it so that I don't find myself in a worse place or position. So far I have visited a couple of places. Texas, Utah and others. My criteria for a better place for myself:

1) I'd like someplace warmer on average than NYC, with more space between myself and my neighbors.

2) I'd like to be able to afford an actual house. Not a condo or a co-op. A real house.

3) I'd like to live in a place where I can actually afford to save a decent amount for retirement, yet still have some quality of life while doing so.

4) I hate riding the subway. Too many people, too many delays. Too much money. $2.75 (soon to be $3 for sure) is too much for a single ride. So no cities that make it difficult for people to drive in the city (like NYC does).

5) I'd like to be able to own a car without having to pay exorbitant insurance rates just because I live in NYC or having to contest with annoying cyclists who think they own the road with their stupid little bells and alternate side of the street parking.

That's the initial criteria, but I'll probably add to the list before I leave.
$2.75 is too much for a single ride? 1) Have you heard of the unlimited pass? 2) Have you checked out prices in other global cities? NYC has cheap subway fares in comparison.

Best of luck to you. But all the things you hate about NYC are what many love, including myself.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:09 PM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
I keep reading that if it weren't for immigrants settling in NYC, it would be losing population. I think most people probably resettle somewhere else after they have been in NYC a while. Most natives stay, I guess, but probably more natives are dying than are being born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City