Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you actually like living in NYC?
Yes, I absolutely love it here, I would set up roots here 47 45.19%
Its alright, not that bad im content for now,or dont plan on leaving due to personal reasons 24 23.08%
No, i absolutely hate it, Im leaving as soon as possible 33 31.73%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 09:29 AM

184 posts, read 235,088 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, NYC is super expensive, overcrowded, and dirty.

-$1000 for a damn room for rent (in the hood, so imagine the good areas), when you can get whole big house for the same amount in most other states, especially in the south & midwest. I'd imagine nobody likes this.

-Its the most densest and crowded major city in America by far. Blocks and blocks of tall 60 family apartment buildings, not just in the city core (Manhattan) , but as far as Flatbush and the South Bronx, in the hood and in well off areas. No personal space, cramed together like roaches. Tho, some ppl like the overcrowdedness and the density of nightlife and shopping that comes with it.

-It is very dirty even in some good areas, almost no other city can even compare, mountains of garbage on the curb, rats in the train tunnels and on sidewalks, mice and cockroaches inside buildings and houses.

-Public Transportation is unreliable (tho other places got even less reliable transportation, its just in NY you need it cuz the streets so crowded can't even drive). Its also crowded, dirty, and the some of people are rude and weird. Oh yea and did I say its unreliable, the delays on the A train is fu*kin crazy, and I imagine there's other trains that do the same.

-The population is just too big, too diverse, and too transitional, which can be seen as a good thing to alot of people. But for me, that amount of diversity can be very overwhelming, I'm a simple man, I'd rather a Philly (just American Blacks, Puerto Ricans, Italians, Irish) over a Brooklyn (Amer. Blacks, Caribbeans, Ricans, DRs, Mexicans, Italians, Chinese, Indians, Arabs, Polish and a thousand other type of immigrants) any day, too overly diverse for me lol. And its very transitional, ppl come and go too often, no sense of community.

For these reasons, I left the NYC metro area, tho I still have alot of family in the area, and I wonder why they stay. Anyway, I know some of you may feel the similar and some may feel the opposite. How do you feel? Do you like NYC? Or only stay cuz you "have" to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 09:35 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,408,064 times
I absolutely love it. Most of the things you listed are definitely positives for me. It's a good thing you left, because it sounds like you absolutely hated your time in NYC.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:06 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,230,460 times
Thank God you left. You sound like a miserable person. We need less of people like you here and more people like PDF!

Old 10-22-2016, 10:07 AM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Thank God you left. You sound like a miserable person. We need less of people like you here and more people like PDF!
You have to wonder where the OP moved to! It's OK for them to say they couldn't handle NYC, which it definitely sounds like from some of the complaints listed.

So tell us, OP. Where are you now?

Old 10-22-2016, 10:12 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,435,798 times
The more money you have the better you will like it. It's a whole different world of experiences there for the haves and the have nots!

Old 10-22-2016, 10:19 AM

184 posts, read 235,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
You have to wonder where the OP moved to! It's OK for them to say they couldn't handle NYC, which it definitely sounds like from some of the complaints listed.

So tell us, OP. Where are you now?
I'm in Lancaster, PA now

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
The more money you have the better you will like it. It's a whole different world of experiences there for the haves and the have nots!
Well that may be true, i consider myself working-class

Old 10-22-2016, 10:23 AM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
I'm in Lancaster, PA now
You didn't go very far. A lot of the "problems" NYC has can be associated with the Northeast in general. Usually people would leave the region altogether. I'm actually not too big a fan of the Northeast...so it was NYC or bust for me. Glad to be here.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:25 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post

-The population is just too big, too diverse, and too transitional, which can be seen as a good thing to alot of people. But for me, that amount of diversity can be very overwhelming, I'm a simple man, I'd rather a Philly (just American Blacks, Puerto Ricans, Italians, Irish) over a Brooklyn (Amer. Blacks, Caribbeans, Ricans, DRs, Mexicans, Italians, Chinese, Indians, Arabs, Polish and a thousand other type of immigrants) any day, too overly diverse for me lol. And its very transitional, ppl come and go too often, no sense of community.
OT. I'll post this and leave. But, lol, if you believe only Am. blacks, PRs, Italians and Irish live in Philadelphia. Just to correct you, there's a Philly neighborhood that is mostly Poles. It goes from there.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:30 AM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,248 times
I secretly LOVE it. If I can get my housing situation to where it's affordable I will come out of the closet and start admitting how MUCH I love it.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:44 AM

983 posts, read 930,933 times
As with any location, it's a mixed bag. I don't mind a small apartment, I like that there are so many different food options and nice views etc. I agree that sometimes it can be difficult having such a heterogenous population (especially when so many were not born here), even though it's not PC to say so, but you get over that after living here a while, because the "advantage" of everybody being different is that everybody feels the same difficulty from time to time.

I don't find the public transportation to be unreliable, quite the contrary. Slow sometimes, but I've taken public transit in DC, San Francisco... none of them beats NYC's in terms of getting you where you need to go. Even if coverage could be improved it's still better than the coverage in the other locations i've tried. Only problem is filth.

The one thing I totally agree with you on is trash and garbage. The sanitation people need to step it up, but even more than that, the cops need to really start going after people who litter and **** on the street (especially people who have other options, i.e. non-homeless people), but EVEN MORE than that, the politicians and mayor need to stop acting like the cops who arrest people doing these things is somehow "too much".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City