U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 03:26 PM

53 posts, read 35,913 times

Advertisements

Weeks, months, years? How long did it take until the magic went away and it felt less special? I feel like natives hate transplants because their once hidden gems are now discovered neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 08:03 PM

179 posts, read 94,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHate Texas View Post
Weeks, months, years? How long did it take until the magic went away and it felt less special? I feel like natives hate transplants because their once hidden gems are now discovered neighborhoods.
If you've lived most your life in the NYC area, Manhattan never really was "special", its just like a giant shopping district with tall skyscrapers. Sometimes it can be a boredom killer and gives you something to do such as shopping or hanging out, and other times its irritating and annoying as sh*t just to even be there.

We dont consider it a gem and dont hate y'all for "discovering" it Mr Christopher Columbus. We hate y'all cuz y'all talk act n look weird and walk slow af in the middle of a crowded sidewalk in manhattan.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:31 PM

53 posts, read 35,913 times
Fair enough responce. Looking forward to transplants responses. I myself am a transplant and Manhattan still is the center of the universe for me.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:41 AM
bg7

7,196 posts, read 6,609,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHate Texas View Post
Fair enough responce. Looking forward to transplants responses. I myself am a transplant and Manhattan still is the center of the universe for me.
Have you lived in any other world cities yet?
That helps get it in perspective.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:56 AM

679 posts, read 281,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
If you've lived most your life in the NYC area, Manhattan never really was "special", its just like a giant shopping district with tall skyscrapers. Sometimes it can be a boredom killer and gives you something to do such as shopping or hanging out, and other times its irritating and annoying as sh*t just to even be there.

We dont consider it a gem and dont hate y'all for "discovering" it Mr Christopher Columbus. We hate y'all cuz y'all talk act n look weird and walk slow af in the middle of a crowded sidewalk in manhattan.
This. I live in Manhattan now and I've lived my whole live either in an outer borough or 30 minutes outside the city and it's not a "Manhattan Honeymoon"... I work here, so I moved here, big deal.

I am thinking of going to the Bronx but that's just for financial and commuting reasons, not really because I'm tired of crowds or whatever.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:17 AM

1,044 posts, read 641,624 times
As an (unfortunate) transplant now edging on my 7th year anniversary, I'd say 1-2 years. I stay in Manhattan because of preference of lifestyle though I had started in Brooklyn for school. Perhaps the interesting thing is that I didn't move here for NYC in the first place, but I stayed because of how much I liked the convenience, atmosphere, etc. and how well the city works with my desire of little space for manageability, higher pay, etc. Being rent stabilized now has also changed how I view about the need to purchase, though I still desire to eventually own a coop or condo.

I have an issue of wanting to live all over the city, however. It's become economically difficult with the brokers fees and higher rents, especially now that my rent is barely higher than the lower end of Washington Heights and Inwood. I'd probably have bought, or at least tried to, in the Bronx if the commute was better, but I've become addicted to my 15-25 min commute. I also thoroughly enjoy my location, which is something that took me a bit to realize because I haven't lived more than one year in any location until this year.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:07 AM

1,226 posts, read 729,117 times
Ah, the starry eyed transplant. I remember those days. I've been here over 15 years. I think it took two to three years before I was over it.

It still like it here, though. It just isn't the same.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:27 AM
PDF

11,387 posts, read 8,616,062 times
I feel like I'm already there. However, it doesn't diminish how much I love the city. I moved here in July, but I had spent a total of 7 months in NYC in the past for various reasons. So I was already acquainted with the city. By the time I moved to NYC, it was never really a honeymoon phase. I simply moved here because it's the city for me...I don't like to drive, and I prefer the most urban city possible. I also had a job offer.

And while I do live in Manhattan, I live in Morningside Heights, which is really my preferred area. I suppose some transplants want to live in Manhattan no matter the cost, but for me it was about living in a neighborhood that really clicks for me. Even just 3 months in, I have a normal routine. I think it would be much different if I was someone who had never been to NYC before or had spent very little time here.

There's definitely a difference between being in the honeymoon phase and enjoying living somewhere that really suits you.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:44 AM

10,094 posts, read 6,084,809 times
Once you settle in and start looking at what's left of your paycheck after everything is paid. Then next year when you do your taxes you realize you have to file 3 pieces of tax form then you might take a hard look at your finances and see if the city still worth it.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:29 PM

4,082 posts, read 4,061,378 times
NYC has never worn off for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City