Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2016, 10:23 AM

12 posts, read 54,984 times

Advertisements

I moved into my apartment in 1990 with my parents and sibling. Parents started with a 2 year lease that they never renewed and just kept living there.

Fast forward to now, I'm living in the apartment with my husband, daughter and stepdaughter. I had moved out in 1996, came back in 2008 and have been here since. Mom moved out in 2013 to retire to Florida.

Nothing has been replaced in the apartment with the exception of appliances (Fridge 8yrs ago, stove 10+ at least, and dw 3 yrs ago) and the bathroom floor (last year) because it was falling apart.

Last year, my husband and I asked about replacing the wall to wall carpeting. We were told we could "do what we want" (at our expense). So, we pulled up the rugs in all but one small bedroom that we use for an art room (why replace carpeting in a room where we use acrylic paint frequently?) The rug is old and flat, much like the rest of the house was before we pulled it all up and dropped down area rugs. The existing floors are in need of refinishing.

Lately, say the past 6 months or so, Mrs. Landlord has been complaining of the "noise" from the art room. The art room has the old carpet with non-existent padding. The complaints come from the fact that they use that room to watch TV and can hear absolutely everything from me using a die-cut machine to the conversation I'm having with my 11 year old daughter. (all at reasonable hours, prior to 9pm) So, I'll be chatting with my child, and painting and we'll get a knock on the door or a banging on the ceiling. The other evening around 5 we were emptying the room for new furniture, and had music on...and not loud, because I never put it up above say 4 or 5 and there's a knock on the door.

In speaking to Mrs. she couldn't understand why "all of a sudden" she could hear everything. I mentioned that we've started using the room and we happen to enjoy using it. She glanced in the door and saw the empty room and the rug on the floor and says "Oh, you have carpeting on the floor." "Yes, but it's the original carpet and there's really nothing to it at this point." I told her I'd like to replace the carpet, as it would solve the problem, but I really can't do at the moment. (financially)

My question, are there any rules about carpet replacement in an apartment? My husband found an affordable carpet solution ($150 for the 9x10 room, that he'd self-install) and want to know if we'd be out of line with approaching them for reimbursement.

I feel like I'm paying rent for a room I'm not allowed to use.

Thanks...and sorry for the long read. :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 11:04 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,049 times
I am confused- do you have a current lease for this apartment? Do you live in a gentrifying area where the landlord could raise the rent if you left the apartment?

Old 10-25-2016, 12:53 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
How much in rent are you paying? It sounds like your landlord allowed you to live their without a lease which can go against you. Although, since you have been living there for so long it could go against her as well.The lease is under your Mom's name not you and your husband. There is so much wrong in your scenario: landlord and tenant wise. I would keep the landlord happy so she doesn't initiate World War 3.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:54 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
I am confused- do you have a current lease for this apartment? Do you live in a gentrifying area where the landlord could raise the rent if you left the apartment?
They could raise the rent in any neighborhood. Look how much more expensive it is to live im The Bronx now than 5 years ago.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:34 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,563,439 times
Are you rent-stabilized or rent-controlled? If rent-controlled you don't need to sign new leases, but if you're rent-stabilized you do.

Renting without a lease = walking the high wire without a net.

If I were you, I would just install the inexpensive carpeting your husband located and I would just pay for it myself. I would add padding too.

If you are not protected by a lease, your landlady can do anything she likes to you, either ask you to leave or raise your rent.

I think you're being penny wise and pound foolish to ask the landlord to pay for this.

My lease says that 80% of my flooring has to be covered by carpeting. I pay for that, not the landlord.

If the floor of your art room is technically covered with carpeting, but it's so thin that the landlady can hear everything, obviously it's not adequate.

And personally, I would feel very uncomfortable knowing that my downstairs neighbor can hear everything I do.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:22 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
This is a confusing post.

First, I can't really tell if what you're worried about is being asked to leave? If you are not in a rent stabilized or rent controlled apartment, then yes, the LL can give you a 30 day notice at any time.

Second, you say you're using the room as an art room, yet when the LL glanced in the room, she saw "the empty room with the rug on the floor." This makes no sense. You keep the room totally empty? An empty room sounds more like a dance room, not an art room.

Third, you say you feel like you're paying rent for a room you're not allowed to use. If that's the case, then pony up the money for a cheap rug and a THICK rug pad. There are plenty of cheap rug stores out there. Since it's an art room, who cares what it looks like as long as it's a plain color? I bought some cheap industrial rugs at this place one time but I am sure there are places like this in many neighborhoods. Area Rugs: jagcptrugscom

If you don't have rent stabilization or control and you are afraid the LL will get rid of you for being noisy tenants, then it seems to me the only solution you have is to purchase what I described above.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:27 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
Any room with no furniture in it, even with a thick rug, is going to cause a lot of sound issues for other people. It's shocking how ignorant people are of basic physics :/ It's not the rug, it's the empty room you are using as an "art room". There is nothing for the sound to bounce off.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:26 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
f that, you're coming out of your pocket for these improvements. they gotta deal with it until your renovations are done. if the shoe was on the other foot, so would you

Old 10-25-2016, 09:45 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
I realized I made a mistake above when I didn't understand how the room could be empty. I re-read it and now see the room was being emptied for new furniture.

So now I have a new question -- if you can afford brand new furniture and the luxury of an art room, why is it that you cannot afford $80 for a thick rug pad in a 9x10 foot room?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City