U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 05:05 PM

22,173 posts, read 14,933,007 times

Advertisements

Unless you have a special deal/bundle and peeps aren't happy.

We've had Verizon DSL for ages since leaving dial-up. At first under contract but that lapsed so it went month to month. Rates have gone from $10/month, to $19.99/month to $37/month and now are $50/month. Needless to say will be dropping this some kind of piece of service soon as can find a replacement.

Sticking point is don't have nor want cable/television (FIOS), the latter doesn't matter because despite having billed customers millions over the years Verizon has no where near fully wired NYC for FIOS, and much of the UES remains without. However it seems with both Verizon and TWC or the others only way to get any sort of decent rate is to bundle phone, Internet and or wireless. Am quite happy with OTA broadcasts so am not going to get cable back.

The other thing is if you bundle DSL with phone service you cannot drop the former and keep the latter; indeed IIRC Verzion no longer allows stand alone DSL service, you just cannot get it from the swinehunds.

Verizon's DSL isn't that great (subject to frequent prolonged outages, hardly ever reaches max promised up and down load speeds, and has caps), but for what one does from home it was the best option.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 05:22 PM

563 posts, read 566,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Verizon's DSL isn't that great (subject to frequent prolonged outages, hardly ever reaches max promised up and down load speeds, and has caps), but for what one does from home it was the best option.
I bet VZN will blame this as justification of their Workers protesting for better wage. Their Union wants better contract

Old 11-01-2016, 05:30 PM

11,595 posts, read 9,863,452 times
Bugsy,

I'm gonna guess your building now has FIOS. I think Verizon is trying to wean it's customers off the POTS plant, and onto Fios. The rate increase is their way of giving you a push.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Bugsy,

I'm gonna guess your building now has FIOS. I think Verizon is trying to wean it's customers off the POTS plant, and onto Fios. The rate increase is their way of giving you a push.

Nope, we don't have FIOS, checked a few weeks ago when notified about the rate change.

That being said yes, the general feeling is Verizon across the nation (despite PR claims to the contrary) is trying to push people off copper; even their unions are saying the same. Once Verizon can get enough households off copper no doubt they will seek to rip it out and that will be that.

After super storm Sandy Verizon tried to pull that very same thing out on Fire Island; residents fought back and then the state got involved; long story short IIRC Verizon had to think again on that one.

Verizon *hates* copper, and they make it clear via their actions. Call for a service appointment and unlike back in the day when it was less than a week, today it can be one, two or more before a scheduled service call. I've know persons firmly in the "one percent" living in UES townhouses that spent weeks without telephone service due to Verizon. If they don't have enough juice to light a fire under that company, heaven help the rest of us.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:09 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,161,973 times
Verizon refused to fix my copper wire phone line a few years ago and insisted I go to Fios. I complained to the Public Service Commission and they sided with Verizon.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:17 AM

2,480 posts, read 4,575,453 times
People still have DSL??

For $10 or $20 a month, yeah I guess it makes sense for someone who is a light internet user. But at $50, you can get cable, which will literally be over an order of magnitude faster, for the same price.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:05 AM

22,289 posts, read 29,432,157 times
Quote:
The other thing is if you bundle DSL with phone service you cannot drop the former and keep the latter

Bugsy, Don't you mean the exact opposite?

I am a few blocks North of you and we were wired up to FIOS in 2010. Are you sure it is not your LANDLORD or BOARD who is denying FIOS entry to your building because the bribe to them wasn't high enough? Call them (L or B) to complain.

How about Time Warner?

I had Verizon DSL back in Jersey IIRC $29.95, better only than dial-up. It sucked because I couldn't stream video without herky-jerky. Landlord, Lefrak, got a fatter check from Comcast so no FIOS, even thought the condo next door DID have FIOS so the wiring was under the streets running right by us.

Last edited by Kefir King; 11-02-2016 at 07:13 AM..

Old 11-02-2016, 09:09 AM

9,064 posts, read 4,009,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Bugsy, Don't you mean the exact opposite?

I am a few blocks North of you and we were wired up to FIOS in 2010. Are you sure it is not your LANDLORD or BOARD who is denying FIOS entry to your building because the bribe to them wasn't high enough? Call them (L or B) to complain.

How about Time Warner?

I had Verizon DSL back in Jersey IIRC $29.95, better only than dial-up. It sucked because I couldn't stream video without herky-jerky. Landlord, Lefrak, got a fatter check from Comcast so no FIOS, even thought the condo next door DID have FIOS so the wiring was under the streets running right by us.
Time Warner stinks even with their pledge to do better. Numerous outages that seem constant because they haven't fully updated their infrastructure. I agree with whoever said that Verizon is trying to get people off of DSL. $50.00 a month is outrageous for sub-par service.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:16 AM

953 posts, read 609,831 times
I think one of these days I'm going to cancel my verizon home service altogether.

My landlord provides wifi, but it's terrible, so I got my own verizon internet and TV, but I barely watch TV anymore, and I can deal with terrible wifi if it saves me like 50$ a month...

Old 11-02-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
People still have DSL??

For $10 or $20 a month, yeah I guess it makes sense for someone who is a light internet user. But at $50, you can get cable, which will literally be over an order of magnitude faster, for the same price.

Problem is out side of resellers like EarthLink neither cable or as mentioned Verizon offer stand alone DSL/Internet service. If they do it isn't much cheaper than what Verizon is shoving down people's throats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or