Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 07:21 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times

Advertisements

I lived for 23 years at Newport, the last 8 without a car. Lovely apartment with Manhattan views. I could get to most places on the West Side of Manhattan faster than I do now from the UES. I also lived in the Heights before that but that was a bit more of a pain in the ass because I usually used my car to get to Journal Square and the PATH. Of course I had rent control there and I had 4 pre-war rooms (crown and picture moldings, real oak floors) for less than $200 a month.
Heat and hot water, not so much. Slumlord milked a nice building to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 02:51 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
JC is no longer cheap, your're looking at $1300 for a room these days. It's extending all the way to areas all over the PATH to Newark.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:17 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedguy2 View Post

Reminds me of an article in the New York Times where someone moved in from the Midwest with a job at Harborside Plaza in Jersey City. She opted to pay more and quarduple the commute to live in LIC instead. LoL
That's what all the tri-state/NYC noobs do when they don't know anything about the area. I'll admit I was just as guilty. Then I wised up after a few years and realized stuff like taxes and commute times make more of a day to day quality of life difference than living in the trendy state/borough/neighborhood and suffering it's consequences. And all the fun stuff is still right there for when I have extra time to go play.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:04 PM

274 posts, read 297,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
That's what all the tri-state/NYC noobs do when they don't know anything about the area. I'll admit I was just as guilty. Then I wised up after a few years and realized stuff like taxes and commute times make more of a day to day quality of life difference than living in the trendy state/borough/neighborhood and suffering it's consequences. And all the fun stuff is still right there for when I have extra time to go play.
I guess it's just the hard way people have to do before they appreciate that there is a better way.

The first Journal Squared tower is about to start leasing. It will be interesting where they open rents at. Down the street at Grove Station, studios start at $2,700. Crazy high for Jersey IMO, but the Journal Square ones should be a lot less since the area isn't yuppified yet.

Journal Squared - Brand new luxury apartment rentals in Journal Square, Jersey City, NJ

Cool video: [vimeo]191682399[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/191682399

Old 12-27-2016, 08:27 PM

242 posts, read 758,921 times
I couldn't agree more with this post... some parts of Jersey that are super close to NYC (Hoboken, Weehawken, Fort Lee, etc.) are really great places to live. They are all very "urban," but much more relaxed than NYC. I especially like Hoboken.. so many shops and restaurants (similar to Brooklyn in some ways). Fort Lee is great too - great Korean food and super cute downtown area!

One thing to consider (and I know this may sound trivial to some) - the tap water is NOTHING like NYC. I noticed this when I was in a restaurant in Hoboken, the tap water made me sort of ill. So, don't expect to be able to drink straight from the tap like you can in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City