Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 03:45 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,310,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
It works out well with the LIRR Atlantic Terminal being right there though.
Suburbanites rather drive with the option to take the train.

And commuters into Manhattan have to go through Queens to get to Long Island. Brooklyn can be avoided, Queens can't.

The Islanders and Nets got sucked into the Brooklyn hype and are now in for a poor long-term investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 09:30 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,843 times
The Islanders will stay at Barlcays. Barclays is a prime location, Brooklyn is on Long Island. . The area around Barclays is awesome for pre-gaming. Delicious food, lots of bars, convenient transportation. The days of tailgating at some suburban sh*thole parking lot are over. The Islanders and their fans should embrace the Barclays Centre. Everything is set-up for success.

One bad thing is the amount of transplants in Brooklyn. Recently went to a bar in Brooklyn to watch the NFL Jets. The jets traditional stronghold is Brooklyn / Queens / Long Island. Eagles, & Steelers fans outnumbered the Jets fans. This little tidbit does not bode well for the Islanders. Will tranplants root for the NY 'outerborough" teams (Jets, Mets, Islanders, Nets)?

Hope they pick-up fans, the plucky Islanders are a good foil for the big-money Rangers in expensive MSG.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:35 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,856 times
When exactly did the term Long Island exclude Queens and Brooklyn ? Its the same Island with Nassau and Suffolk and I know in the past that was commonly understood.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
When exactly did the term Long Island exclude Queens and Brooklyn ? Its the same Island with Nassau and Suffolk and I know in the past that was commonly understood.
Geographically yes, but culturally Brooklyn is not. Queens is though as it once was part of Nassau County.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:15 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,344 times
Islanders need to alter their logo and add the rest of Long Island, BK & Qns. ___Done___

Old 11-19-2016, 01:10 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,196,138 times
The problem for the Islanders will not be geographic, it is the demise of hockey as a sport that Americans are interested in specifically in New York. I know it probably retains it popularity in the northern areas of the country and rural upstate NY, but most NYers are exclusively football and basket balls fans. If they come from another country then soccer fans

Old 11-19-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
The problem for the Islanders will not be geographic, it is the demise of hockey as a sport that Americans are interested in specifically in New York. I know it probably retains it popularity in the northern areas of the country and rural upstate NY, but most NYers are exclusively football and basket balls fans. If they come from another country then soccer fans
Hockey fans are the most passionate fans out there. Football isn't doing well, and you hardly hear anything about basketball these days. Nets suck and Knicks aren't so hot either. NYC basklbetball rests solely on the shoulders of Porzingis at the moment. You'll be seeing a lot more interest in hockey this year if the Rangers keep up the good work.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:59 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,843 times
Islanders have lots of potential in Brooklyn. ALL of the other teams in the metro area play in clip joints that charge big bucks to watch boring country sports with quiet corporate type fans. The Islanders are an old school team (1980s old school) with loud passionate hardcore fans. The games are filled with lots of chanting and participation, the closest thing you will find to European football fans in the USA. The folks really identify with the team, the fans are actually Islanders. unlike other teams, are all the fans really Giants in NJ or Kings in L.A. etc.. The games are exciting and the tix are affordable.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:04 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Islanders have lots of potential in Brooklyn. ALL of the other teams in the metro area play in clip joints that charge big bucks to watch boring country sports with quiet corporate type fans. The Islanders are an old school team (1980s old school) with loud passionate hardcore fans. The games are filled with lots of chanting and participation, the closest thing you will find to European football fans in the USA. The folks really identify with the team, the fans are actually Islanders. unlike other teams, are all the fans really Giants in NJ or Kings in L.A. etc.. The games are exciting and the tix are affordable.

I went to a few games last season and unless it's a game vs. NYR, the chants aren't like they were back in Nassau. They die quickly. They're barely audible. Too much space/empty seats/etc. (I'm ignoring the "Yes, yes, yes..." post-scoring.)

Old 11-30-2016, 06:01 PM

294 posts, read 263,334 times
I spoke to someone I know who lives in Nassau County about this recently and he said his friends who are Islanders fans absolutely hate how the team relocated to Downtown Brooklyn. I don't think they are going to stay at Barclay's. I wouldn't be surprised if the Islanders came to Qns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City