U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 09:07 PM

5 posts, read 4,866 times

Advertisements

I've only been a homeowner for 2 years so not sure if this is the norm and wondering what to do.

My driveway is narrow & on top of that, it pitches down so the walls that outline my driveway serves to block me in if i dont park along the opposite wall. However, I need to get my children in my car, so parking in the middle of my driveway allows me to get them in as well as me (very snugly). But when someone partially blocks my driveway, it forces me to park all the way to one side, which means I have to get my kids out before I park.

About two weeks ago someone parked their Mercury Mountaineer outside my house partially blocking my driveway.

Ten days later I leave a note in the morning taped to the drivers side window asking them to please move their car because they were partially blocking my driveway. That same day the note is gone when I come home.

Today as I am pulling in to my driveway I see someone getting in to that car & think great, he is finally moving his car. When I get in I peek out the window to see him move his car down as a red Chevy Prizm pulls in and proceeds to partially block my driveway in the same manner. The lady gets out & hops in to the Mercury Mountaineer & they drive off.

I left the same note on the lady's Chevy tonight. What recourse if any do I have?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 10:01 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,018,291 times
1. Buy yellow paint and paint the edge of your driveway with NO PARKING written on the curb. The edges should clearly mark where your driveway starts and ends on each side.

2. If the above doesnt deter the idiots who are blocking your driveway, you can call NYPD and an officer will come and ticket them.

My parents live in Queens and have had this issue w other neighbors for years..their driveway is shared so its worse. They have left signs on car windshields and so far, those cars never block their driveway anymore but its a pain to be constantly monitoring this.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:14 PM

10,604 posts, read 20,730,171 times
Don't know if it will help or not but... Vehicle Blocking Driveway Complaint | City of New York

Old 11-23-2016, 10:21 PM

76 posts, read 65,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
1. Buy yellow paint and paint the edge of your driveway with NO PARKING written on the curb. The edges should clearly mark where your driveway starts and ends on each side.

2. If the above doesnt deter the idiots who are blocking your driveway, you can call NYPD and an officer will come and ticket them.

My parents live in Queens and have had this issue w other neighbors for years..their driveway is shared so its worse. They have left signs on car windshields and so far, those cars never block their driveway anymore but its a pain to be constantly monitoring this.

yellow paint on the sidewalk unless is commercial driveway is defacing city property , you can get a ticket for that. i was told to use gray paint.

Old 11-24-2016, 01:31 PM

279 posts, read 637,864 times
buy a couple of traffic cones and put them next to your driveway

Old 11-24-2016, 02:15 PM

5 posts, read 4,866 times
some clearer pictures:

i think i going to wait til after thanksgiving to call the cops, hopefully they will give them a ticket.

thanks for the responses!

Old 11-24-2016, 02:24 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,856,745 times
I don't understand why the driver of the red car didn't move up a bit? There is room. Is their a hydrant in front?

Old 11-24-2016, 02:26 PM

1,838 posts, read 1,688,742 times
Is it clear where your curb cut begins? From the pictures it's a little hard to tell other than seeing where the grass ends. Also, are there two or more cars usually parked on the right side of the picture? In other words are they squeezing an extra parking spot in by parking that way or are they just sloppy parkers?

Old 11-24-2016, 02:59 PM

390 posts, read 370,728 times
download nyc 311 app ticket it and get it tow. they clearly show no respect to your property.

Old 11-24-2016, 03:37 PM

1,073 posts, read 493,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by azspeedbullet View Post
buy a couple of traffic cones and put them next to your driveway
Bad and illegal advice. The only recourse is calling the cops but I doubt they will come. Even if the vehicle was blocking your driveway completely you would still have to call the cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or