U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 07:41 AM

2,339 posts, read 3,325,176 times

Advertisements

Is NYC unique in its situation where it's expected that landlords pay for heat? I'm assuming in newer cities where there are more modern apartment buildings, tenants are always responsible for paying for their own heat. Now of course if the heat isn't working, that's an entirely different issue...

While I'm not a tenant, my condo unit has HVAC cooling and heating. There are no heating vents in the bathrooms and my pipes have frozen, twice. I'm the only one in the building that has had this problem and it's because of my unit location. Anyway, I've learned I should keep the bathroom doors open to allow heat to circulate the apartment. When it's going to be below freezing I must run all of my HVAC units (there are three that control different areas of my apartment) to maintain a even temperature throughout my place. I normally only have the heat (or AC) on in the room I'm currently occupying so if I'm not in the bedroom, the heat isn't on. I also have small heaters/fans for the bathrooms. They are on when I'm using the bathroom and on if the temps are below freezing. They are the safety type that don't have the hot coils. I'm considering installing heated flooring in the bathrooms but I've perhaps found a good alternative. A portable radiant heat pad that's designed to go under area rugs. They are water proof and would be fine in the humidity of the bathrooms. I'm going to test them out this winter.

In case one is curious, my heating and AC bill isn't excessively high. It's about $80/month in the summer and $160 in the winter. Considering my place is over 1500 sq ft, that is very reasonable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 02:38 PM

20,144 posts, read 26,425,454 times
In Jersey City, the complex next to ours had an enviable tenant paid system. Each apartment has a little room outside on about 1/4 of a small terrace. It is a hot air gas furnace/electric air conditioner that pushes hot or could air through a couple conduits into the apartment's rooms. Gas exhaust venting is directly outdoors.
System runs cheaply on natural gas and is completely thermostatically controlled by tenant.
(It was called Avalon Cove.)

Old 11-28-2016, 02:48 PM

1,689 posts, read 1,662,064 times
My friend is going to follow up with the building management and see what happens.

I am getting the feeling from all this information that these systems are designed to be run 24/7 in cold weather. But if the tenant is paying for the heat, it's unrealistic for a landlord to expect this.

My friend works full time and commutes, so she's out of the apartment at 7:30 a.m. or so and doesn't return until 7 p.m. or so. She's not going to want to leave the heat on while she's at work. I think it's the landlord/developer's problem if the building was designed with pipes on an outside wall.

Kefir King, my friend's pipes froze, but to my knowledge they didn't actually burst.

Thanks for all of the tips and information!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 11-28-2016 at 02:58 PM..

Old 11-28-2016, 02:55 PM

18,260 posts, read 11,663,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
My friend is going to follow up with the building management and see what happens.

I am getting the feeling from all this information that these systems are designed to be run 24/7 in cold weather. But if the tenant is paying for the heat, it's unrealistic for a landlord to expect this.

My friend works full time and commutes, so she's out of the apartment at 7:30 a.m. or so and doesn't return until 7 p.m. or so. She's not going to want to leave the heat on while she's at work. I think it's the landlord/developer's problem if the building was designed with pipes on an outside wall.

Thanks for all of the tips and information!

Why is it "unrealistic" for a tenant to pay for their own heat even if it means running the thing 24/7?

In many other parts of the world heat and or hot water are generated in the apartment and paid for by resident. Go to much of France, and other European countries and you'll find direct/instant or other types of water heaters in or near the kitchen, bathroom (which can be often just that, the WC is another room). Heat can come from a central system or in units as well.

PTAC units have been around for decades, chances are you've seen them in hotels/motels. What is happening now is again, property owners/developers are trying to get the most bang out of their real estate buck. On one hand given the high cost of building anything here, and or costs associated with running a residential building cannot say that I blame them.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:00 PM

I just feel that when the tenant isn't home, she or he shouldn't be expected to pay to heat an empty apartment.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I just feel that when the tenant isn't home, she or he shouldn't be expected to pay to heat an empty apartment.

Why not? Homeowners leave their heat on when they are away, it might be setback to a lower temperature but still.....

You can't fight physics son... If you allow a place to cool down too much you'll spend more energy getting it back up to a comfortable temperature. Again with forced air heating this can take a long time as you have to heat up not only the air but objects in room. Radiant heat OTOH works by heating up not just the air but objects; thus when it goes off those things give off some of that heat helping to moderate the temperature.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:48 PM

I understand what you're saying. But for the pipes not to freeze, everyone or almost everyone in the affected line (19 apartments) has to keep the heat on. That's a lot to ask. It would be better for the developer to insulate the wall properly, methinks.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 11-28-2016 at 04:01 PM..

Old 11-28-2016, 04:18 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,628,289 times
Quote:
I understand what you're saying. But for the pipes not to freeze, everyone or almost everyone in the affected line (19 apartments) has to keep the heat on. That's a lot to ask. It would be better for the developer to insulate the wall properly, methinks.

leave the water running ( very slowly) and the pipes won't freeze. maybe the landlord pays for the water...that'll teach him.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:28 PM

Well there are alternatives: Durst Organization | Hallets Point | 421a

Old 11-28-2016, 04:46 PM

Very interesting! It sounds like the technology exists, it just has to be implemented. Thanks for posting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or