U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 06:50 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,506,309 times

Advertisements

quote:
More so as the numbers of professionals who truly know and understand steam heat/what they are doing is shrinking, and has been so for decades.

Ha! great point! It's mind boggling how people will shell out thousands of dollars a month for a shoebox and then not know how it's heated.. idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 08:35 PM

18,346 posts, read 11,759,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
More so as the numbers of professionals who truly know and understand steam heat/what they are doing is shrinking, and has been so for decades.

Ha! great point! It's mind boggling how people will shell out thousands of dollars a month for a shoebox and then not know how it's heated.. idiots.

It isn't so much the owners/renters of properties, unless we are talking about a private home, and even then; but those who build, design and are hired to maintain/service steam heating systems.

Your average HVAC guy under say 60 or even 50 probably does not know much or little about old steam systems and or current ones either. The "Dead Men" who built, installed and serviced these systems going back to the 1800's and early 1900's had a vast understanding and working knowledge of steam and hot water heating. It is amazing what those guys did using calculations done with no more than pencil and paper or just in their heads.

So when an 100 or so year old steam heating system acts up people call in their "heating repair" service. Unless the guy understands what he is getting into/messing with the likely outcome is more often harm then good. Their usual spiel is to say "replace the boiler". Which is all very well *if* the boiler needs replacing; but it can and often cause other issues.

Steam systems were designed and installed to meet demands of at that time; boiler, pipes, returns, etc... You start messing with one part and it affects the others. Installing a new boiler but not respecting how it is place in relation to system design is going to cause problems.

This is the steam heat MAN!

Mr. Dan Holohan has spent much of his professional career and life pouring over old steam heating manuals and books to learn what the Dead Men knew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQB0KK2rxcw

Old 12-08-2016, 08:39 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,506,309 times
^fascinating! thanks for that.

Back in the day when I was a kid I used to hang out in the boiler room (it was a literal boiler room as far I can recall and it was always called that)... it had like 100 cats. The "boiler room people" made the pipes work. but this wasn't that long ago, it was the 1980's in urban north jersey in the projects.

Ooooof, thinking about it now I can totally remember the stench of cats/roaches/ and steam!!(?)

Old 12-09-2016, 12:10 AM

18,346 posts, read 11,759,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
^fascinating! thanks for that.

Back in the day when I was a kid I used to hang out in the boiler room (it was a literal boiler room as far I can recall and it was always called that)... it had like 100 cats. The "boiler room people" made the pipes work. but this wasn't that long ago, it was the 1980's in urban north jersey in the projects.

Ooooof, thinking about it now I can totally remember the stench of cats/roaches/ and steam!!(?)

Cats like their heat. We had one that virtually camped out on top of, underneath and or a close to radiators as he could get. Little guy would leap from any place else he was and run over to the radiators when he "heard" steam start to come up.

Then of course cats are usually pretty good for rodent control.....

Old 12-11-2016, 08:51 AM

20,193 posts, read 26,531,257 times
Like I said earlier, my building has a "vacuum steam" system that distributes steam at below atmospheric pressure. Do any of you have such a system? Do you understand it well?
It amazed me when I saw the handyman replace the steam/water trap with the system still operating. THe opened convector just sucked in air.

I like my apartment about 72 degrees and I do a bit of a dance with two radiator valves to keep this temperature. Opening windows in Winter goes against my grain and I could throttle people who do.
We pay about $1 million for fuel each year and we should all appreciate that it is with conserving such an expensive commodity.

But how do you make people understand common sense if they do not?

Old 12-13-2016, 09:40 AM

20,193 posts, read 26,531,257 times
Vapor-Vacuum heating...now there is a word for my heating system. But we use a vacuum pump. The excellent lecture deals with it at 11:30. Now I understand why all our steam traps are replaced every few years: this year for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or