U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 06:20 PM

5,515 posts, read 5,505,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
After living here for awhile this article does not in any way surprise me. I overspent, like many, when I first arrived. I had to keep up appearance, or so I thought. Have a certain address. Eat out like the real New Yorkers. Then I realized it wasn't sustainable. I took up a less glamorous residence, stopped buying retail designer, and made meals at home. I am far from white collar btw.

When I started to live more frugally a lot of friends judged me. Where they like literally made fun of my out-of-date phone, my refusal to take cabs, my cooking skills and refusal to eat out except on special occasions. When really I was just being practical. Many of them moved back home in the middle of the country, broke, with parents... but I don't spite them. I'm sure there's a lot of really great programming they download into their iPhone 7s while living in Iowa.

I think people here get caught up in keeping up with the Joneses, especially with so much wealth right in their face. I also think, as others have said, a tremendous amount of income goes unreported. It may look that way on the face of paychecks but many have money overseas, hidden, etc. Not to mention undocumented assets like property and stocks, bonds, etc.
I am in complete agreement with you. It largely boils down to the choices we make. NYC is not the culprit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 06:31 PM

5,515 posts, read 5,505,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This is why there are so many white kids on the street begging for money.
Quite a few beg for money in Baltimore. I have had a few come up to me and ask for money. The strange thing is that they were well dressed and clean. I think it is for drugs. They have a serious heroin problem over there.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:47 AM

20,159 posts, read 26,453,489 times
Quote:
my refusal to take cabs

I took one this decade: with chest pains at 2 AM to NYU's emergency room. I hope never to take another one.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:31 PM

306 posts, read 174,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Isn't that what this forum is about? I am sharing my experience. Have you relocated to another state? If not, why? You seem to think it is so easy.

I doubt a person who is struggling to make ends meet would move to Silicon Valley. The rent is higher there than it is in NY. How did we go from being a few paychecks away from homelessness to living in Silicon Valley? Those people are at the top of their game. I think you are comparing apples with oranges. Have you been to the California forum? They complain about the price of rent all the time. If you are struggling in NY, I doubt the more desirable places in California would work.

People do leave NY in hopes of a better quality of life, some do make it work, and some return because NYC offers a better quality of life. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Well said , well said , you couldn't say it any better.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:49 AM

64,714 posts, read 66,206,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am in complete agreement with you. It largely boils down to the choices we make. NYC is not the culprit.
as to why folks fail ,the reasons are all over the map . but the reason folks succeed is because they really want to .

those who really want to succeed will find a way -the rest will just find an excuse

Old 12-10-2016, 02:28 AM

23,262 posts, read 16,082,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
as to why folks fail ,the reasons are all over the map . but the reason folks succeed is because they really want to .

those who really want to succeed will find a way -the rest will just find an excuse
The ways to succeed are all over the map as well.

Different people have different ideas of success.

The failures that were spoken of in recent posts had more to do with poor judgement. Examples were people coming to NYC and insisting on living fabulous lives in the most expensive neighborhoods when they did not have the resources to sustain that lifestyle.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:50 AM

64,714 posts, read 66,206,532 times
yes , the ways to succeed financially are all over the map simply because those who want to succed will find a way .

to me financially successful means two things . eventually reaching a point where you are possibly still working but not having to work and second is having choices in life .

while money may not buy happiness , it certainly can buy choices .

the importance of having choices in life is something i learned at a very young age while growing up in nyc housing project . it motivated me for a lifetime

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-10-2016 at 03:19 AM..

Old 12-17-2016, 10:19 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,285,961 times
Quote:

This is total nonsense. Especially in a place like NYC.

You've never met people who inherited homes, rent controlled apartments, section 8, Mitchell Llama, lottery apartments, etc.?

The greatest expense in NYC is shelter. Almost everything else is actually cheaper than the rest of the country. Apart from the cost of shelter, it's fairly easy to succeed in NYC.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:29 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,285,961 times
Quote:
yes , the ways to succeed financially are all over the map simply because those who want to succed will find a way .

to me financially successful means two things . eventually reaching a point where you are possibly still working but not having to work and second is having choices in life .

while money may not buy happiness , it certainly can buy choices .

the importance of having choices in life is something i learned at a very young age while growing up in nyc housing project . it motivated me for a lifetime
Please, I beg you. Quit romanticizing your life story. It's not special.

My parents came as immigrants and by all accounts would be billed as successful. They don't romanticize their life story and there are millions of NY'ers like this.

Some people's success is quite deliberate while others is totally haphazard. That's life. Even though the probability of getting a heads/tails while flipping a coin is 50/50, you can flip a coin 50 times and get 50 heads in a row. Then you can flip it another 50 times and get an almost even heads/tails split. That's life.

"Choices" have to be taken in context. Timing, environment, etc.

What's the difference between Walmart workers in the Midwest and their parents who worked factory jobs with great pay and benefits? Were their parents that much more talented? Did the next generation all of sudden become that much worse?

You have to put "choices" into context. There's a difference between being a drug addict or a someone who can't keep a job to people who try but can't get ahead.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:06 PM

14,864 posts, read 17,430,235 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
This is total nonsense. Especially in a place like NYC.

You've never met people who inherited homes, rent controlled apartments, section 8, Mitchell Llama, lottery apartments, etc.?

The greatest expense in NYC is shelter. Almost everything else is actually cheaper than the rest of the country. Apart from the cost of shelter, it's fairly easy to succeed in NYC.

Not for nothing. Math jack is a very informative poster on here with years of experience. However mathjak lives in a complete bubble from rest of us and the rest of new Yorkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City