U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:51 PM

14,808 posts, read 17,410,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
I understood the point he was making, I just find the whole school issue as overgeneralizing.

Brethren, I do know the situation sucks for people especially those stuck in the middle income bands -- they don't make enough to live comfortably, yet they don't qualify for most govt programs and benefits. It forces people to get creative and seek out a secondary source of income.

As a minority from the Caribbean, I don't care for the capitalist system you refer too. As a matter of fact, I'm disgusted with the greed and corruption of the system. Also, I'm turned off by the stupid liberal policies of NYC. We have a mayor (whom I don't hate) encouraging Central American kids to move here into the school system, which is already suffering. We have the Feds who are allowing dirty foreign money to skew the real estate industry. Local law that mandates NYC govt to provide housing for everyone. Pure madness.

The plan is to leave this place soon.
Amen brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 09:12 PM

23,254 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Amen brother.
Leaving NYC is nothing new. In the 20th century, European immigrants, if they moved up socioeconomic moved out to NYC's suburbs or elsewhere. By the 1980s and 90s many Black Americans had moved out to the suburbs or moved to the South. Now more recent immigrants/arrivals either move to the suburbs, or other states, or return to their home nations. NYC is a place where you come, make your money, and leave, unless you get filthy rich or unless you want to be in welfare housing.

Bronxguyanese you certainly express wanting to be elsewhere, you should just move and make your relative who you're helping out come with you.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:35 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,282,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
That is interesting.
Why does immigrant culture encourage saying that you're living paycheck to paycheck even if you're not?
Depends from where the immigrant comes from but many immigrants who come from countries with repressive governments are hesitant to tell government agencies anything of value (unless there's something to be gained).

I'm from an immigrant family so I'm not talking out of my ass like others are in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
huh? immigrants are more successful than American borns and huge money savers.
Asian immigrants pick up cans from garbage even though you never see them homeless.
Some immigrants are and some aren't. Your statement is too broad.

As an example, go to heavily Asian public schools and see how many children qualify for free lunches (a sign of poverty). If you judged the Asian community in NYC according to only that, you'd think that the vast majority were poor. In reality, we all know that's not true. Income is simply "misreported" by many families. This happens in other communities as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Immigrants come from very different countries, and very different cultures. There is no such thing as immigrant culture. Having grown up in a heavily Latino and South Asian neighborhood, there were many people living 20 people to an apartment, or 50 people to a house. These people weren't millionaires by any stretch of the imagination.

As for the underground economy, the majority of people involved in that are not living that well off either. Yes a drug dealer has more money than someone who works at McDonalds. Many dealers are in and out of prison, and even the dealers themselves would not argue that is a good life.

To get a residence in a nice part of town, it costs a fantastic amount of money ($3k) for a studio and you will need to earn 40 times that amount.

NYC has had skyrocketing numbers of homeless, so if things were so great with jobs and for that matter off the books income we would not be seeing all these homeless.

Btw, social services has been cut and many landlords won't take welfare vouchers.
Yes, there is such a thing as immigrant culture/mentality so long as immigrants come from a particular culture or tradition.

Those from Russian won't have a similar culture/mentality than those from Jamaica but they will share many traits with those from Ukraine,Poland, and Hungary. Same goes for Jamaicans and other Caribbean immigrants. Chinese, Vietnamese, and Korean immigrants share common traits.

If you dive deep they all have their differences but from an overall immigrant culture/mentality groups from the same region tend to share traits.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:29 PM

2,681 posts, read 3,574,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Meanwhile back at the ranch COL in NYC keeps going up, and there are fewer and fewer options for "affordable" anything including housing. The vast and powerful forces of economic displacement caused by the influx of highly educated professionals into the City is literally pushing many others out.
Is this a bad thing? Many cities would gladly trade for NYC's "problems" of being an attractive city for upwardly mobile people in a heartbeat. The reason why IMHO things have gotten much worse recently is the return of welfare migration. People come here for social services that aren't provided or come with restrictions back home. This same problem happened in the 60-70s nearly ending in the city's bankruptcy. I support social safety nets, but pragmatism needs to enter the picture as well.

Diversity isn't just about skin color/religion/language/culture. Economic diversity is important as well. Many affordable housing groups simply want no rich/upwardly mobile people in their neighborhood/the city at all. I wonder if that's the real reason DeBlasio's housing plans keep going down in flames. People see wealthier newcomers coming in even if newer buildings are 30,40,50% affordable and they just won't have it. Demanding neighborhoods be all poor is segregationist and hurts the poor the most. The idea of using cities as repositories for the poor (mostly of color, I might add) is a proven social failure.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:40 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,282,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
I also wonder the effect of all those 20-somethings living a post-college lifestyle in the city with little risk, because their parents help them out, or WOULD help them out if something bad happens. I would assume that they disproportionately drive up rents because they are willing to bid high for very little space.
Of course they do.

Funny you mentioned it because my fiancée visited one of her classmates apartments on the UES.

This is was a "2 bedroom" apartment of about 400 sq feet with each roommate paying $1600. Her classmate is from Westchester and her parents are paying her rent. lol

To me that's called being a sucker getting ripped off.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:52 PM

5,514 posts, read 5,499,127 times
This is probably a true statement but I do not believe leaving New York is the answer. I've already explored it and it did not work out. The nice neighborhoods in other states are just as expensive but the salaries are lower.

I cannot believe how much some of the rents are going for in Brooklyn. It is lunacy. I do not understand why these millennial are willing to pay exorbitant prices to live with roommates. I am so happy that they will never come to my neighborhood. I get to live in a safe neighborhood and pay reasonable rent. I do not need to live 10 minutes away from Manhattan. I like my apartment complex because they require good credit and a salary higher than 40x your income but the rent is reasonable. These guidelines help keep out the undesirables.

I guess we need to explore why so many of us are a few paychecks away from homelessness. Do we really need to pay $500 a month for a car note? What are we spending our money on? Are we living within our means and setting money aside for a raining day? You are only as rich as what you have in your bank account.

I guess affordable housing is a good thing but I am appalled at what they expect me to pay based on my income. You pay those prices for something you own not rent. I do not qualify for most of the apartments and can't afford what they think I should pay to live in an apartment will state of the art fixtures. It is great for the people with very low incomes. I would be weary living in a community with people who have low incomes and 500 credit scores.

NYC has its issues but there is no place like it. It has the most opportunities for my field. It is possible to live in a good neighborhood without breaking the bank and we have the best transportation system. It works for me.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:07 PM

23,254 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
This is probably a true statement but I do not believe leaving New York is the answer. I've already explored it and it did not work out. The nice neighborhoods in other states are just as expensive but the salaries are lower.

I cannot believe how much some of the rents are going for in Brooklyn. It is lunacy. I do not understand why these millennial are willing to pay exorbitant prices to live with roommates. I am so happy that they will never come to my neighborhood. I get to live in a safe neighborhood and pay reasonable rent. I do not need to live 10 minutes away from Manhattan. I like my apartment complex because they require good credit and a salary higher than 40x your income but the rent is reasonable. These guidelines help keep out the undesirables.

I guess we need to explore why so many of us are a few paychecks away from homelessness. Do we really need to pay $500 a month for a car note? What are we spending our money on? Are we living within our means and setting money aside for a raining day? You are only as rich as what you have in your bank account.

I guess affordable housing is a good thing but I am appalled at what they expect me to pay based on my income. You pay those prices for something you own not rent. I do not qualify for most of the apartments and can't afford what they think I should pay to live in an apartment will state of the art fixtures. It is great for the people with very low incomes. I would be weary living in a community with people who have low incomes and 500 credit scores.

NYC has its issues but there is no place like it. It has the most opportunities for my field. It is possible to live in a good neighborhood without breaking the bank and we have the best transportation system. It works for me.

Leaving NYC may not be the answer for you, but it is the answer for some people. Each person has to answer what is good and what isn't good for you.

In terms of a car note, I don't think many of these people who a paycheck or two from homelessness have cars. Savings in the bank? That implies you make enough money to save. Walk down the street in NYC. You'll see stores everywhere. Most people who work in retail are not able to save large amounts of money. High rent prices certainly don't help with that.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:07 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,499,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Leaving NYC may not be the answer for you, but it is the answer for some people. Each person has to answer what is good and what isn't good for you.

In terms of a car note, I don't think many of these people who a paycheck or two from homelessness have cars. Savings in the bank? That implies you make enough money to save. Walk down the street in NYC. You'll see stores everywhere. Most people who work in retail are not able to save large amounts of money. High rent prices certainly don't help with that.

Experience is the best teacher. I thought I could have a better life if I left New York. I learned it was not true. I have explored relocating to other places but the job market is not good for my field. It is difficult to find a job and the pay is not great. The nice neighborhoods are expensive. If the rent is low, it is low for a reason. You certainly will get more for your money but you have to make the money. If you can make the money, then leaving NY is a viable option. There are also cultural factors to consider.

Why do you assume only low income people are a few paychecks away from homelessness? That is a myth. There are a lot of broke people making decent money. It all boils down to what is coming in and what is going out. If I paid rent based on the 40x rule, saving would pose a challenge.

As far as rent, there are affordable options. We all cannot live 15 minutes away from Manhattan.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:25 AM

64,629 posts, read 66,129,695 times
we thought the same . bought a house in pa to retire to. as we got closer we realized there is no comparison . we sold the pocono house and retired in bayside queens .

the pocono's lacked way to many things that were going to be important in retirement . one of the nicest things is i can still work here when i want and earn good money which was impossible in the pocono's .

i can work 2 days a month and earn more than a weeks pay there .

Old 12-04-2016, 10:02 AM

14,808 posts, read 17,410,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Experience is the best teacher. I thought I could have a better life if I left New York. I learned it was not true. I have explored relocating to other places but the job market is not good for my field. It is difficult to find a job and the pay is not great. The nice neighborhoods are expensive. If the rent is low, it is low for a reason. You certainly will get more for your money but you have to make the money. If you can make the money, then leaving NY is a viable option. There are also cultural factors to consider.

Why do you assume only low income people are a few paychecks away from homelessness? That is a myth. There are a lot of broke people making decent money. It all boils down to what is coming in and what is going out. If I paid rent based on the 40x rule, saving would pose a challenge.

As far as rent, there are affordable options. We all cannot live 15 minutes away from Manhattan.
This is very true. Their is a man who is a nyt writer, very affluent and lives on long Island. He too lives paycheck to paycheck. I saw the video and it was shocking. It's not poor people who live paycheck to paycheck it's the middle class as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City