U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2016, 06:47 PM

50 posts, read 31,126 times

Advertisements

Longtime CD lurker. Literally needed to join finally just to reply to your question.

Going to agree with prior posters on the issue of driving to LIC- don't even consider it. I go there about once a month for meetings. The only parking lots I've seen are paid lots/garages and they're often full by 8:30am. Depending on the area of LIC you need to go to, you also run the risk of accidentally going over the Queensboro bridge. Manhattan detours are no fun.

I take the LIRR to Jamaica, and then the E to LIC. I don't recommend this as a daily commute. Again agreeing with prior posters, public schools in Forest Hills and Kew Gardens (another upvote for PS99) are generally good. Looking in those areas for an apartment will considerably shorten your commute, and thus preserve your sanity in this crazy city.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 07:09 PM

9,871 posts, read 7,676,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Oh, I didn't think about the L. I thought it was the M train that ran through those neighborhoods. The L to the G doesn't sound bad...all local stops but doable.
Those options are at the opposite far ends of Ridgewood and Glendale. Another option is the Q39. But its never going to be as convenient as living off the 7 or E/F lines.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:20 AM

30,307 posts, read 31,181,855 times
I would also suggest Rego Park (which is next to Forest Hills).

Old 11-30-2016, 06:35 AM

20,126 posts, read 26,407,309 times
There are many mentions of the usefulness of the #7 train in LIC.
Any concerns about likely shutdowns of the line commencing very soon?

Being dependent on an undependable ride may be challenging.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:52 AM

271 posts, read 156,977 times
Default E-m-r lirr

Nice thing with Kew Gardens or Forest Hills is if the E or F train goes down you can take LIRR (Oyster bay line I believe). The only thing is you would actually have to take train in reverse direction one or two stops (from KG or FH) to Jamaica then get on a LIC bound train. Kinda would be a pain but is a back up plan if needed.

In either Forest Hills or Kew buildings off Austin Street are nice. Some will back to the LIRR tracks so if your sensitive to noise just look at streetside units. If you use Zillow and scroll down the ratings for schools are listed below each particular listing. I do know PS99 in Kew is good not sure of schools in Forest Hills but as that its slightly more affluent than Kew I would have to guess their schools are good as well.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:46 PM

21 posts, read 13,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roisin24 View Post
Longtime CD lurker. Literally needed to join finally just to reply to your question.

Going to agree with prior posters on the issue of driving to LIC- don't even consider it. I go there about once a month for meetings. The only parking lots I've seen are paid lots/garages and they're often full by 8:30am. Depending on the area of LIC you need to go to, you also run the risk of accidentally going over the Queensboro bridge. Manhattan detours are no fun.

I take the LIRR to Jamaica, and then the E to LIC. I don't recommend this as a daily commute. Again agreeing with prior posters, public schools in Forest Hills and Kew Gardens (another upvote for PS99) are generally good. Looking in those areas for an apartment will considerably shorten your commute, and thus preserve your sanity in this crazy city.

I have been preparing for the move, so I apologize for the delayed response. Thank you so much for joining as well as all the other input that I received to help me decide. No one said much about Flushing though. Any ideas on that?

I keep hearing about Kew Gardens, but when I google mapped it...it almost seemed like it would be putting me out of my way. Am I wrong?! I know it's a pretty nice neighborhood...sue me for giving into media hysteria but I think of Kitty Genovese and haven't even entertained the notion of KG because of that OLD story. I'm weird...lol..

I have narrowed my search to Forest Hills, Jackson Heights, Astoria/Ditmars-Steinway, Sunnyside, and LIC...I can go back and add Kew though.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:58 PM

It makes sense to add Kew Gardens to your list. As well as Rego Park and Briarwood.

Flushing is a gigantic Chinatown. I personally love the neighborhood for visiting, but not sure I could live there. At least for Downtown Flushing where the subway station is located.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:08 PM

21 posts, read 13,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It makes sense to add Kew Gardens to your list. As well as Rego Park and Briarwood.

Flushing is a gigantic Chinatown. I personally love the neighborhood for visiting, but not sure I could live there. At least for Downtown Flushing where the subway station is located.

Are Rego Park and Briarwood near the 7? Lol. I know I am obsessed with the 7, but I just want to make my commute easy and under an hour.

Okay. Thanks for the info on Flushing!

Old 12-06-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunedos View Post
Are Rego Park and Briarwood near the 7? Lol. I know I am obsessed with the 7, but I just want to make my commute easy and under an hour.

Okay. Thanks for the info on Flushing!
No. Rego Park has the R and M, and Briarwood the E and F. So the Queens Blvd line, which in my opinion are better neighborhoods than those on the 7 line. Would still be easily under an hour commute, with better schools and parks.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:24 PM

2,915 posts, read 1,183,162 times
An ideal area, with good school, check north of the 74/ roosevelt subway station. Jackson heights or east elmhurst. Woodside and sunnyside are good areas as well.

This area, with those 4 neighborhood, leaves a person central to everything, and still find a 3 bedroom for $2200 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or