U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2016, 05:28 AM

21 posts, read 13,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Is your workplace right next to a 7 train stop and not near any other trains? I hope you do realize that there are other trains that service Long Island City. For example, the E,M, G and 7 all stop at Court Square. Also the N, W and 7 all stop at Queensboro Plaza and the E, M and R all stop at Queens Plaza.

Can you post the intersection, or at least the general area, where your workplace is?

If you could get off in LIC at Court Square, then a commute from an E train stop (like Forest Hills) could make quite a bit of sense.
Thomson Avenue.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Ignore everyone else in this thread. Folks from Atlanta will fit in perfectly in Southeast Queens. It is the most Americanized portion of NYC. Springfield Gardens, Queens Village, Hollis, Laurelton, Rochdale, Saint Albans and Cambria Heights (it is flat) are the places for you.
Americanized? I'm not looking for Americanized...when I say I am looking for something comparable to Atlanta. 1...I live in upscale Midtown apartments, so I don't expect that in NYC by far. 2. I am talking more about the aesthetics and layout of my actual home than "feel" in terms of my quality of living. Granite/marble countertops throughout, stainless steel updated appliances, safe neighborhood, excellent schools, nice/modern hardwood floors. I know how expensive it is there but don't want to compromise those things. Hollis used to be ghetto, so unless the tides have changed then I am not searching for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Looking for Atlanta in Queens...how novel an idea.
Thanks for your contribution....of nothing.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:39 AM

750 posts, read 269,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunedos View Post
Americanized? I'm not looking for Americanized...when I say I am looking for something comparable to Atlanta. 1...I live in upscale Midtown apartments, so I don't expect that in NYC by far. 2. I am talking more about the aesthetics and layout of my actual home than "feel" in terms of my quality of living. Granite/marble countertops throughout, stainless steel updated appliances, safe neighborhood, excellent schools, nice/modern hardwood floors. I know how expensive it is there but don't want to compromise those things. Hollis used to be ghetto, so unless the tides have changed then I am not searching for that.
That poster basically just listed predominately black neighborhoods. Probably assuming that if you're from Atlanta, you're black.

Are you in NYC already? See how the walk is to the closest E/M stations. I agree with an earlier poster who said that neighborhoods along that subway line are in general nicer than the ones on the 7 line.

If the E/M trains are doable for your commute, then I would definitely look at Forest Hills, Rego Park, and Kew Gardens. Again, I can't speak to schools but I've heard good things which make sense because these are more middle class areas (vs. the 7 line neighborhoods which are a mix of recent immigrants to working class to middle class).

If you need to stick with the 7 line and want to be within walking distance, then look specifically at the north side of Queens Blvd in Sunnyside and the historic district in Jackson Heights. These are the nicer areas of those neighborhoods (and I'm guessing the school districts will be better as well but check on that).

Old 12-08-2016, 09:26 AM

20,144 posts, read 26,435,766 times
Your psyche is going to take a hit from such a culture shock. (Atlanta to Queens...like going to the moon.)

Old 12-08-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
That poster basically just listed predominately black neighborhoods. Probably assuming that if you're from Atlanta, you're black.

Are you in NYC already? See how the walk is to the closest E/M stations. I agree with an earlier poster who said that neighborhoods along that subway line are in general nicer than the ones on the 7 line.

If the E/M trains are doable for your commute, then I would definitely look at Forest Hills, Rego Park, and Kew Gardens. Again, I can't speak to schools but I've heard good things which make sense because these are more middle class areas (vs. the 7 line neighborhoods which are a mix of recent immigrants to working class to middle class).

If you need to stick with the 7 line and want to be within walking distance, then look specifically at the north side of Queens Blvd in Sunnyside and the historic district in Jackson Heights. These are the nicer areas of those neighborhoods (and I'm guessing the school districts will be better as well but check on that).
Yeah, when I saw Hollis that's what I was thinking that but it was not really worth my response. I have only lived in Atlanta for three years, but I am Black and Hispanic.

I think the E/M run that way, but I think it will have my commute at almost an hour. Zillow has provided some very top notch schools for the homes/apartments I have looked at in those areas, so I will definitely continue looking and have now added Kew Gardens. I truly appreciate your help. And no, I pushed my start date out. I arrive next Thursday!

Old 12-08-2016, 10:53 AM

740 posts, read 500,631 times
Why not flushing? Flushing is the center of Queens in terms of commercial activities. It has the only real downtown in Queens. Also, it has some luxury buildings that offer amenities comparable to those in Manhattan. All the other areas along the 7 line are a bit run down. LIC itself is developing, and nothing but a big construction site.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:24 PM

1,467 posts, read 920,968 times
Thomson isn't that long but if you take the 7 to 33 St and you work by Court Square you have to walk over the bridge. Not a bad walk when the weather is nice but this is winter and next Thursday the temperature is predicted to be between 21 & 28F.
If you work by Van Dam then take the 7 to 33rd. If by Court Square you have the E,M,G & 7. It makes a difference in where you choose to live.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:08 PM

2,921 posts, read 1,189,401 times
Kunedos, you really need to spend a day visiting these neighborhoods. A late Friday evening and a Sunday afternoon can tell you alot about a neighborhood. In the colder weather , its a little different, but you get to see what the parks are like, how people move, etc.

the best bet , what I would do, Is look for an apartment close to a school, park, bus, highway, and supermarket.

The area of East Elmhurst, say 77 street and 30th ave is a very good start. Private schools are very close by for k to 8 and high school. So is Northern Blvd., the BQE , GCP, and Triboro, Plus Laguardia airport as well. Apartments will most likely be in 3 family brick Feder buildings.

In woodside, there are co op /condo rentals north of roosevelt avenue and 54 street, tucked away from the noise. A huge public park, a decent public school, and a private school. This area has an express stop at 61 street and roosevelt. 2 bedrooms are a little hard to find, but not really. Some buildings need renovation.

As for Jackson Heights, near roosevelt, 74th street to 86 th street and 37th avenue to Northern Blvd, all apartment buildings, mostly co ops. From 90 street east towards main street, things get a little more rough around the edges.

From these 3 locations, its a 15 to 20 minute ride to LIC in car, or subway stop to subway stop on the 7 line.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 187 times
Kunedos, could you post a quick update of where you are and how you like you neighborhood and school? I am looking into the same neighborhoods you were, same budget, same aged kid and coming from Atlanta. Your update would help me a lot! Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or