U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,339 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I received a notice for inspection because someone made a claim that I have more than the occupancy limit for a two family and illegal conversion to rooming house. My mother and my cousins live on the 2nd floor which is a four bed room and I live on the 1 which is a 3 bedroom. I found out that for every 80 Square feet I am allowed 1 adult and 1 child under 4. I have a total of 1344 square feet. I have a total of 11 adults and 3 kids. So I am legally under the occupancy. I rent 2 of my 3 bedroom out to a cousin and a friend. Does that constitute a rooming house? I was under the impression I can basically sublease my floor. Also I am thinking of renting my living room to help cover the mortgage. Would this be considered rooming house?
Also I have a home based business in my basement. My basement bathroom only has a sink and toilet, I don't have a kitchen. I have a room for storage. My bathroom has walls that I put up and my storage room is also enclosed with walls I put up. I put un additional walls for my business.

Can someone tell me if putting up walls in the basement a violation? I try to follow the law to the best of my ability but I am scared once the inspector come, I will be fined for something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 11:50 AM

5,676 posts, read 5,154,796 times
Your poor neighbors...

Old 11-29-2016, 12:09 PM

987 posts, read 2,174,060 times
I'm sure the rest of the CD crew is about to let you have it.. But I'm still stuck on the fact that your currently under investigation for over occupancy, YET your still looking out to rent out a living room... YET you claim to be trying to follow laws??

Old 11-29-2016, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
I'm sure the rest of the CD crew is about to let you have it.. But I'm still stuck on the fact that your currently under investigation for over occupancy, YET your still looking out to rent out a living room... YET you claim to be trying to follow laws??
I didn't violate any rules by renting it out. I asked a simple question and I am sorry you don't like it.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:42 PM

5,676 posts, read 5,154,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrickradcliff View Post
I found out that for every 80 Square feet I am allowed 1 adult and 1 child under 4.
So then you can have 16 adults and 16 children living here?

Old 11-29-2016, 02:49 PM

1,705 posts, read 679,496 times
Don't know all the codes family might be an exception to rules about subletting (family being allowed) The friend may prove to be an issue.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:53 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,416,255 times
Quote:
Hello,
. I have a total of 11 adults and 3 kids. So I am legally under the occupancy. I rent 2 of my 3 bedroom out to a cousin and a friend. Does that constitute a rooming house? I was under the impression I can basically sublease my floor. Also I am thinking of renting my living room to help cover the mortgage. Would this be considered rooming house?
Also I have a home based business in my basement. My basement bathroom only has a sink and toilet, I don't have a kitchen. I have a room for storage. My bathroom has walls that I put up and my storage room is also enclosed with walls I put up. I put un additional walls for my business.

Can someone tell me if putting up walls in the basement a violation? I try to follow the law to the best of my ability but I am scared once the inspector come, I will be fined for something.

It is beginning to sound a bit like a rooming house. You will just have to abide by the appealable decision of the housing inspectors.

Please don't bring any more people in until you have been vetted.
<Beware sying too much about your "basement business.">

Old 11-30-2016, 07:51 AM

987 posts, read 2,174,060 times
Quote:
I didn't violate any rules by renting it out. I asked a simple question and I am sorry you don't like it.

Not about being sorry, that "I" don't like it.. God forbid a fire breaks out in your home, how do you explain all the deaths that would occur?

Old 11-30-2016, 09:16 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,194,177 times
Quote:
I didn't violate any rules by renting it out.
Really? You sure about that? Does that second floor area where your cousins live have its own lockable door that leads to it?

Quote:
I was under the impression I can basically sublease my floor
Why are you talking about subleasing? I thought you owned this home?

Did you get any kind of permit for all those walls you put up? Be prepared to take them right back down, if not.

This whole thing sounds like a fire code nightmare.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:22 PM

10,324 posts, read 12,413,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Really? You sure about that? Does that second floor area where your cousins live have its own lockable door that leads to it?

Why are you talking about subleasing? I thought you owned this home?

Did you get any kind of permit for all those walls you put up? Be prepared to take them right back down, if not.

This whole thing sounds like a fire code nightmare.
I agree. If it violates fire safety codes, you have to remedy it immediately. The codes are in place for a reason. If a fire breaks out and there is not proper escape routes, it can result in a real tragedy. Numerous deaths have resulted in home conversions similar to this. Its an awful way to go, stuck in a fire with no way out. For anyone who has been in a major house fire and lived through it, they can tell you its unbelievably scary thing to experience.

Fine or not, think of what could be prevented here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or