Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 07:25 PM

13 posts, read 15,879 times

Advertisements

I personally believe it. My quality of life was very low when I was living in Sunset Park along the R train. R train was inconvenient. Too many inconsiderate neighbors who blasted their music at all hours. Littered and dirty sidewalks. When it got windy, the litter would fly and hit you in the face sometimes.

Quality of life was moderate when living in Hell's kitchen. Lots of amenities and easy access to train.. But rush hour traffic noise pollution was bad! Otherwise relatively peaceful . Neighbors were mostly young professionals who were respectful.

Upper East Side -- very high quality of life. Clean sidewalks, great groceries. Just a tad... boring. Residential yet highly commercialized.

Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights -- the greatest. My favorite neighborhoods. Nothing bad to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 07:32 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
neighborhoods I have lived in in NYC so far (since 2001)

LES
Chelsea
Harlem
Park Slope

Park slope, bar none because people throw out the BEST.****.EVER! I haven't had to buy any clothing or shoes (gross, i know, but whatever) since moving here. Always free stuff on peoples' stoops for the taking... books, clothing, etc.

My least fav. neighborhood was Chelsea (2005-07). Bunch of snobs

Old 11-30-2016, 07:35 PM

I didn't mind Harlem except that it was very anti-gay from the young people there. (and many older people too) I would walk my dog and there would be kids calling my DOG a "f-g" :/ Granted perhaps they thought I was a gentifier (although I was born in Jersey City and grew up there), but low class people are low class people... and to call someone's dog a "f-g" is kinda pathetic. I was so glad to move away from that dump.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I didn't mind Harlem except that it was very anti-gay from the young people there. (and many older people too) I would walk my dog and there would be kids calling my DOG a "f-g" :/ Granted perhaps they thought I was a gentifier (although I was born in Jersey City and grew up there), but low class people are low class people... and to call someone's dog a "f-g" is kinda pathetic. I was so glad to move away from that dump.
Hahahahaha.

Sorry they called your dog a f-g

But yeah, that's really unpleasant. and so rude
Your dog probably contributes more to the wellbeing of society than the people calling him a f-g

Old 11-30-2016, 07:39 PM

I can't wait to get out of Park Slope though. Yuppie breeder GHETTO x 1000. Not my thing at all. People sneer at you on my block if you don't have kids :/

Old 11-30-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I can't wait to get out of Park Slope though. Yuppie breeder GHETTO x 1000. Not my thing at all. People sneer at you on my block if you don't have kids :/
Yuppie breeder GHETTO. What does this mean?

i thought lots of singles lived in park slope too. granted, there's a ton of families, more than you'd find it places like williamsburg

Old 11-30-2016, 07:43 PM

quote:
i thought lots of singles lived in park slope too

they do, but they are all sitting around waiting for their banker boyfriends to put a ring on it. or waiting for their parents to send their allowance checks (and these people are like 40. gtfoh) Im old though (almost 40), so maybe my perspective is soured by the nouveax-riche that have taken over?

Old 11-30-2016, 08:02 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
For me its less about the neighborhood and more about the neighbors. Whether it be my building neighbors or my actual wall neighbors.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:24 PM

37 posts, read 72,414 times
I am getting ready to move to Brooklyn for a job at Lutheran Hospital and was going to try and live closer to the hospital in Sunset Park. OP is it that bad? Other thoughts that I have had were Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, or bite the bullet and commute from Williamsburg.

Does anyone have thoughts on a bit longer of a commute to Lutheran for improved quality of life?

Old 11-30-2016, 08:46 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hays0023 View Post
I am getting ready to move to Brooklyn for a job at Lutheran Hospital and was going to try and live closer to the hospital in Sunset Park. OP is it that bad? Other thoughts that I have had were Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, or bite the bullet and commute from Williamsburg.

Does anyone have thoughts on a bit longer of a commute to Lutheran for improved quality of life?
Bay Ridge could be a nice choice. What is your rent budget? Bay Ridge would have a quick commute without breaking the bank, but it's a very different feel than the other neighborhoods you suggested.

To me, it has a small-town kind of feel while still having the subway and access to some nice restaurants, etc. It's a big area, so you would probably want to stick close to the subway if you want to reduce commute time. Living out by Shore Rd. is pretty but it's too far from the subway (if you're concerned with commute time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City